BREAKING NEWS - Six players released

No surprises. Despite releasing them, it has little change to the squad given so many didn’t contribute or certainly aren’t central to things. This will save a lot of money but enough? presumably unless we rip things up further the squad could still be very similar. 

With the 4 loans that’s 10 players that we could need to bring in if the younger players aren’t up to it yet.

Presumably we might sell one or two under contract too. 

11 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Pleased with that. For me it was an either/or with Lee and Hooper - being generous we can possibly afford to try our luck that one of them will be fit and healthy for another year or two, but not both.

Releasing Matias shows that we're aiming to improve, the rest were no-brainers.

I wonder when we find out which youth teamers are being released? Am I right in thinking the likes of Nielsen and O'Grady are out of contract and unlikely to be renewed?

OGrady Nielsen and Preston I believe 

• Thanks 1

My heart says Hooper should have been retained but come on, he's hardly ever available.

I agree with those offered new deals, including Lee because I don't compare him to Hooper injury wise.     I've seen some things said about Lee that just aren't true about his fitness history prior to the previous 18 months which just aren't true.

14 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

Other than Hooper, no surprises.

Suspect Hooper's injury record is a big part of the decision

Really

:biggrin:

Edited by daleblue

9 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

Thank you Gary Hooper and Daniel Pudil for some good memories and top performances.

The rest have been a waste of time.

I don’t agree with that I think Matias had flashes of what he could do but injury prone granted Who could forget the fantastic goal against Leeds that’s on its own was worth the money I think he scored about 5 this season I thought he was actually picking up under Bruce Even thought Boyd was picking up just a little too late I believe for both of them  for the rest I think it was a waste

Happy with that.  No doubt the clubs finances will improve greatly as a result.  

It's what has been holding us back for some time.  Carrying too many players, some of whom have been robbing us.  

Should be an exciting transfer window coming up.  Time to see Bruce work his magic on the transfer front.  Can't wait.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

No surprises. Despite releasing them, it has little change to the squad given so many didn’t contribute or certainly aren’t central to things. This will save a lot of money but enough? presumably unless we rip things up further the squad could still be very similar. 

With the 4 loans that’s 10 players that we could need to bring in if the younger players aren’t up to it yet.

Presumably we might sell one or two under contract too. 

We don't need to replace like for like 

Our squad is/ was bloated Bruce has said a few times that he intended slimming it down 

So 10 out maybe 5 or 6 in 

Edited by Lawrie Madden

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Any guesses at the wages that has freed up?

I reckon upwards of 120k per week.

Guessing here based on the little info we get on this sort of thing:

Hooper 30k a week

Abdi 30k a week

Jones 20k a week

Pudil 10k a week

Matias 15k a week

Boyd 25k a week

that would be about 130k a week

and for FFP we save the amortised transfer fee on top:

Hooper £3m over 4 years

Abdi £4m over 3 years

Jones £2m over 3 years

Pudil - n/a as it’s his second contract since signing 

Matias £1.5m over 4 years

Boyd - n/a as signed on a free

i make that around £10m a year in total which would bring us under the FFP threshold if we’re still losing £20m a year

Good decision. Very bittersweet to say goodbye to Hooper, one of the most intelligent players I've seen in 30yrs here, but it's the right choice at this delicately balanced moment in time for the club.

God, imagine him in L1 if he fancied a season or two there - he'll be an absolute beast if he can stay fit.