BREAKING NEWS - Six players released

7 hours ago, ashamanic said:

Bruce doesn’t seem to rate Winall - at least he does t start him, so will probably let him go for any decent offer.

It was obvious Winnall was taking longer to get up to match fitness than was expected.     For whatever reason, maybe he wasn't keeping up with his general fitness whilst out injured or whatever the reason.

Bruce wanted to hit the ground running and Winnall had let the side down after coming on and showing he wasn't any where near fit enough.

Maybe Winnall is out of the door, or maybe he just wasn't going to be thrown into the mix whilst he was not capable of doing the required job.    I'm not sure he's been deemed surplus to requirements just yet, although he's certainly behind Nuhiu, Fletcher and Joao right now.

Guest Ash76
21 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

It was obvious Winnall was taking longer to get up to match fitness than was expected.     For whatever reason, maybe he wasn't keeping up with his general fitness whilst out injured or whatever the reason.

Bruce wanted to hit the ground running and Winnall had let the side down after coming on and showing he wasn't any where near fit enough.

Maybe Winnall is out of the door, or maybe he just wasn't going to be thrown into the mix whilst he was not capable of doing the required job.    I'm not sure he's been deemed surplus to requirements just yet, although he's certainly behind Nuhiu, Fletcher and Joao right now.

Or maybe he's a good judge of player and correctly decided he's not good enough

10 hours ago, full fathom five said:

Agreed and i think the 5/6 brought in will be younger, fitter and more importantly have a resale value.

Why should we be looking at buying players who we want to sell off anyway ? Just in case they don’t work out is that why ? All this resealable asset malarkey baffles me aren’t we looking at keeping players who take us forward

2 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Why should we be looking at buying players who we want to sell off anyway ? Just in case they don’t work out is that why ? All this resealable asset malarkey baffles me aren’t we looking at keeping players who take us forward

In the nineties we spent millions on players with no resale value

Players like Vim Yonk who was aged 33, but we bought him for 3 million

If you regularly buy players for big money, but give them away for nothing, you risk bankrupting the club

Giles De Bilde cost us 3 million, we gave him away for nothing

Paulo Di Canio 4.5 million, we sold him for 1 million

Carbone 3 million, we gave him away

Not having resalable assets is the reason we have been out of the top division so long

We had old players on big contacts that we couldn't get rid of

We signed injured players and put them on long contracts on big money

When it goes boobies up, you have to have resalable assets

• Thanks 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

If you regularly buy players for big money, but give them away for nothing, you risk bankrupting the club

Not having resalable assets is the reason we have been out of the top division so long

And a chairman willing to trade them. 

5 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

So only sign younger players then , players who are a risk , will they reach potential etc etc , We won’t be spending the amounts you quote anyway . I agree recent signings of older players on big wages and long contracts has cost us big time . Think these players were brought in to get us promoted , it didn’t work .so are the club still making the same mistakes since the 90’s ? 

2 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

So only sign younger players then , players who are a risk , will they reach potential etc etc , We won’t be spending the amounts you quote anyway . I agree recent signings of older players on big wages and long contracts has cost us big time . Think these players were brought in to get us promoted , it didn’t work .so are the club still making the same mistakes since the 90’s ? 

Steve Bruce has already said we need young legs

Chelsea and Man City have got loads of young players that would walk into our side, and so have some other Premiership clubs

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

24 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Absolutely spot on mate! 

The fact the biggest fee we have ever received is £3m for Brunt/Bougherra is embarrassing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Chelsea and Man City have got loads of young players that would walk into our side, and so have some other Premiership clubs

Yeah well they have slightly better circumstances than we have , maybe we will be up there in a few years !! I live in hope best be quick mind I’m knocking on a bit !! Ha .

3 minutes ago, RichieB said:

Absolutely spot on mate! 

The fact the biggest fee we have ever received is £3m for Brunt/Bougherra is embarrassing. 

I may be way off, but I thought we got about £7M for Kovacevic?

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, axolotl said:

No way. Think we got our money back on him, but that was about it. 

Carl Jenkinson is out of contract - seems to have lost his way after a promising start at Arsenal and on loan at West Ham. 

Recently on loan at Birmingham. 

Full back, 27. 

Scrap that daft suggestion

Edited by Rogers

9 hours ago, axolotl said:

Knock off 5 and a bit! We bought him and Stefanovich for £5m, sold Darko for £1.7m and ended up releasing Dejan on a free after he failed to gain a work permit. Pish poor.

1 hour ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Knock off 5 and a bit! We bought him and Stefanovich for £5m, sold Darko for £1.7m and ended up releasing Dejan on a free after he failed to gain a work permit. Pish poor.

11 hours ago, wilyfox said:

No way. Think we got our money back on him, but that was about it. 

More than likely, I was relatively young at the time, just had 7m in my head from somewhere!

16 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

And some not so young players, like Hector.  The top teams do seem to have players who are Championship or even Premier league ready while still teenagers - ours seem to need a few more years than that, if ever

We need to be looking at players who were in the same situation as Bannan was when we signed him.

Mid career - aged 23 - 26 ish so not entirely untested but no longer a youth prospect

Players who'd have been in and around the Premier League squads, but for whatever reason had moved around and not played much/wasn't fancied as a starter.

Bannan came here with a decent reputation but with a point to prove