3 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

If it is something psychological/MH-related, the ‘cultural differences’ mentioned by Katrien (IIRC?) will likely be twofold.

It’s true that MH problems are often linked to ancient spiritual beliefs in Thailand (loss of ‘khwan’, a sort of balanced life/body/mind force, as I understand it?). This isn’t universal I don’t think, and it’s a rather more old fashioned/traditional/rural sort of interpretation these days than you’ll find among most young city folk, but it certainly still exists in Thai society as a whole.

Additionally, as I said above, it’s also a very tricky subject in Islam, so it may not have been openly talked about at all from Abdi’s side. While I gather it perhaps isn’t quite seen as an exclusively Western problem per se any more, it’s still very stigmatised culturally (as it is in large areas of modern Western culture tbf).

Moreover, some Islamic beliefs are viewed as directly contesting modern Western scientific approaches to MH treatment and care (including non-religious talking therapies/traditional psychology, and various types of MH medicines), so even acknowledging the problem - let alone seeking treatment - can be incredibly difficult within many Muslim family groups and communities without fear of rejection.

Again, pure speculation as we don’t know the first thing about what’s gone on, but it’s worth noting that cultural/faith issues here could well be masking something that nobody actually deserves criticism for.

And again, we have to accept we may never know the full story if it’s related to this sort of area, as telling it might be seen as even more problematic than hiding it.

Wild speculation in my opinion. Also how do you know Abdi is Muslim? Had a look and don’t think his religious have ever been publicised by himself or in the media. 

I remember @scram getting us all excited when Abdi signed, and it was clear that he'd been a great player in this division for Watford. It's such a shame that the Abdi we saw in a Wednesday shirt bore so little relation to the player he'd previously been, and so typically Wednesday to spend such a large chunk of our transfer budget on a player who's barely kicked a ball in anger for us.

I'd love to know how we ended up at this point, but I suspect we'll never know.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Wild speculation in my opinion. Also how do you know Abdi is Muslim? Had a look and don’t think his religious have ever been publicised by himself or in the media. 

You might be right, and I did point out several times it was speculative.

Re: beliefs, his transfer to us was listed on a couple of faith-based news sites I spotted that track the careers and achievements of Muslim sportspeople across many disciplines - lots in the NBA, for example. Doesn’t prove much I know, but it would make sense geographically (not born in Switzerland, he’s originally from Kosovo).

But yes you’re absolutely right - again, pure speculation. I was really just trying to point out that since it’s ALL speculation, I think it’s a bit much to slate him the way some have.