1 hour ago, Ron Lovely Man 1992 said:

About a year ago, I had heard from someone on the inside that Abdi was struggling really badly with depression and had at points become suicidal.

1 hour ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I might be waaaaaaay off here but I’ve wondered if there is a mental health element to this. Wondered whether AA has suffered with something and it’s been misinterpreted by people at the club

1 hour ago, siowls said:

My issue is we never heard Abdi’s side. 

In general, I’m shocked by the number of fans who think it’s ok to jump on him without knowing the full story.

1 hour ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Apologies - missed your post. 

Terrible if true and assuming he has suffered with his mental health I wish him all the best moving forward. 

1 hour ago, Stoop said:

All we know is that DC called him out during the fans forum. Chansiri seems like a decent guy and would no doubt be very supportive if there was an ongoing health problem

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

My best guess is mental health problems. 

Dont think he had a record of being a bad egg before he joined SWFC.

Sure if had done something that bad we would have sacked him before now.

1 hour ago, bigash_swfc said:

It's been alluded to at the fans forum a couple of times.

Chansiri's opinion was "Abdi has absolutely no respect for Sheffield Wednesday"

Katrien Meire mentioned "Cultural differences"

Abdi’s Muslim, isn’t he? Talking openly about mental health problems - never mind publicly acknowledging suffering from mental ill-health - is, AFAIK, still seen as extremely taboo by many followers of Islam.

I’m not stirring any kind of pot here, I’m just saying he *could* be having an absolute nightmare in his private life, and we shouldn’t shoe him without knowing. We also have to accept that we might never know.

There’s been absolutely nothing in his pre-Wednesday career to suggest he’s a bad egg. Played for some top clubs, been well-liked, always tended to stick around a fair while before moving on.

Let’s just not hang him out, eh? We don’t know. And he’s no longer a Wednesday player.

IF he’s struggling with something, the only decent thing to do is wish him all the very best. We’ve all seen how Hutch has suffered with this stuff, and I’d imagine it’s even worse agony if you can’t even talk about it publicly like Sam’s bravely opted to.

I vote we just leave it unless some new and reliable information comes to light. Can’t see it happening though.

Best wishes to Almen, whatever comes next.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Abdi’s Muslim, isn’t he? Talking openly about mental health problems - never mind publicly acknowledging suffering from mental ill-health - is, AFAIK, still seen as extremely taboo by many followers of Islam.

I’m not stirring any kind of pot here, I’m just saying he *could* be having an absolute nightmare in his private life, and we shouldn’t shoe him without knowing. We also have to accept that we might never know.

There’s been absolutely nothing in his pre-Wednesday career to suggest he’s a bad egg. Played for some top clubs, been well-liked, always tended to stick around a fair while before moving on.

Let’s just not hang him out, eh? We don’t know. And he’s no longer a Wednesday player.

IF he’s struggling with something, the only decent thing to do is wish him all the very best. We’ve all seen how Hutch has suffered with this stuff, and I’d imagine it’s even worse agony if you can’t even talk about it publicly like Sam’s bravely opted to.

I vote we just leave it unless some new and reliable information comes to light. Can’t see it happening though.

Best wishes to Almen, whatever comes next.

Great post

• Thanks 1

For whatever reason his time here hasnt been a memorable one,at times we saw flashes of what he was all about,though largely out of position under clueless.

Whatever was behind his troubles this season we both go seperate ways.

Shame it didnt work out,these things happen in life and football

Not a fan of fans slagging him off when we don't know the full reasons why. 

Yes he's turned out to be a poor signing, but that definitely isn't because of talent.

Would not surprise me if he did indeed have mental issues, told Chansiri this and explained that he couldn't play, and Chansiri misinterpreted this because of cultural differences. I don't think Thailand is as accepting as we are.

From a football perspective, this was a total disaster, albeit not one we could have predicted.

That said, I think we have to assume something extraordinary happened here and I have no ill feelings towards the player.

31 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

9 million quid. I hope one day we get an explanation. 

Just to put it into context, if 18,000 of us had bought a club 1867 thingy at 500 quid that would have funded Abdi. Wonder why they didn't use that as an advertising angle? 

For £9M you could clone a footballer or grow Abdi a complete  new set of limbs after his fell off. 

16 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Something has happened with him. We’ve had rumours of him disrespecting the club, his teammates don’t want him in the team or around training and he’s been suffering from a mental illness. It will come out in the wash. For me, he’s been our worst ever signing. 

I'm not certain perhaps someone was there  but I thought DC said he'd explain this situation one day - it's right up there with Line of Duty for me 

16 hours ago, alanharper said:

Didn't see him, but tbh I can't really remember what he looks like anyway.

Doubt he was there, he hasn't been arsed for 3 years so he's not going to put any effort in to walk slowly around a pitch for 10 minutes now. 

Not sure he would have made it all the way round.

• Haha 1

The biggest waste of money since Wim Jonk.In fact Jonk made 70 appearances in 3 years. Came touted as Watfords best player Swiss international regular and top player.Gave this club nothing in his time here but took plenty. Going but leaves a bad taste in the mouth. 

When we signed him I was so pleased at the prospect of having signed one of the best midfielders in the championship. What a massive disappointment it all turned out to be. I really don’t understand what happened, he was a real quality player before he signed for us and was such a let down once we was a Wednesday player. He will probably do well for his new club which will be even more annoying. 

10 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Would not surprise me if he did indeed have mental issues, told Chansiri this and explained that he couldn't play, and Chansiri misinterpreted this because of cultural differences. I don't think Thailand is as accepting as we are.

If it is something psychological/MH-related, the ‘cultural differences’ mentioned by Katrien (IIRC?) will likely be twofold.

It’s true that MH problems are often linked to ancient spiritual beliefs in Thailand (loss of ‘khwan’, a sort of balanced life/body/mind force, as I understand it?). This isn’t universal I don’t think, and it’s a rather more old fashioned/traditional/rural sort of interpretation these days than you’ll find among most young city folk, but it certainly still exists in Thai society as a whole.

Additionally, as I said above, it’s also a very tricky subject in Islam, so it may not have been openly talked about at all from Abdi’s side. While I gather it perhaps isn’t quite seen as an exclusively Western problem per se any more, it’s still very stigmatised culturally (as it is in large areas of modern Western culture tbf).

Moreover, some Islamic beliefs are viewed as directly contesting modern Western scientific approaches to MH treatment and care (including non-religious talking therapies/traditional psychology, and various types of MH medicines), so even acknowledging the problem - let alone seeking treatment - can be incredibly difficult within many Muslim family groups and communities without fear of rejection.

Again, pure speculation as we don’t know the first thing about what’s gone on, but it’s worth noting that cultural/faith issues here could well be masking something that nobody actually deserves criticism for.

And again, we have to accept we may never know the full story if it’s related to this sort of area, as telling it might be seen as even more problematic than hiding it.

All this speculation and its obvious that his legs had gone 

On the few rare occasions we saw him he couldn't wait to get rid of the ball and when Buckley went past him at Bolton away in the cup he could only keep jogging .

We have been right royaly shafted by this signing