Kieran Lee staying.

4 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

So we get rid of Matius and Hooper and retain the cart horse from Kosovo. who added less that either of these. All making sense now.......

Well Nuhiu wasn't out of contract for starters...

But I would imagine the 35k and 16-18k per week salaries, along with the nearly 4 years of missed playing time between them due to injury played a factor as well. 

Edited by Minton

10 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

So we release a 31 year old forward with the best touch, control and vision we have had in two decades but retain an excellent, 30 year old midfielder with a similar injury record. Love both these players but bit perplexed why release Hooper when he is unique in what he brings in equal measure to Lee.

I think with this one mate, it’s all about that we’ve got 7 strikers at at the club and it’s been well documented that Hooper is on £32k PW. There’s no guarantee that we can sell or loan out Rhodes, Winnall and Dave.

In Kieran Lee’s case, we’ve had his Dad on here saying he’s on around £12k PW and I think Bruce knows what type of lad he is and I think all the coaches, like Bullen, have said what a great player he is and he’s played for the team when he’s been injured etc. Moreover, we are short in midfield. 

Hooper is one of the best players I’ve seen down at Hillsborough over the last 10 years but I think we’ve made the right call given our current predicament.

15 hours ago, oldishowl said:

He wasn’t the worst on our team today. At least he appeared to try but was playing in a complete non entity of a midfield 

Yep him and Joey Deacon let QPR boss midfield. 

Hopefully Bruce will have seen from playoff final that Lee and Bannan too lightweight in a 2 and we need a holding midfielder alongside. Hutch will probably give you 50pc of games so AN other quick powerful CDM needed. 

If we can get Lee on a contract which reflects his recent injury record then its a no brainer... 

4 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Hopefully Bruce will have seen from playoff final that Lee and Bannan too lightweight in a 2 and we need a holding midfielder alongside. Hutch will probably give you 50pc of games so AN other quick powerful CDM needed. 

If we can get Lee on a contract which reflects his recent injury record then its a no brainer... 

We didn't play Lee and Bannan as a 2 in the playoff final - Hutch was playing. Admittedly he played so deep that he was effectively a 3rd CB

Great news this.

Mainly because we feel he may have a chance of playing a full season after terrible injury problems. Yet again making a mockery of fake news on here earlier this season saying he was finished. Who started that one off btw?

One of the best central midfielders at this level I’ve seen in a Wednesday shirt. A very clever footballer whose Man Utd pedigree is evident. We need him back, and at top form. If he stays free of injuries, and if he recaptures his old form, we’ll erm, pish the league next season.

Welcome back KL, have a cracking season matey.

16 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

So we release a 31 year old forward with the best touch, control and vision we have had in two decades but retain an excellent, 30 year old midfielder with a similar injury record. Love both these players but bit perplexed why release Hooper when he is unique in what he brings in equal measure to Lee.

Hooper was on a much bigger wage and presumably Lee will take a reduction in wages also.

Bannan Lee Hutchinson, Not quite strong enough is it! Wasn't 4 years ago and we've still got the same CM after everyone said we needed a strong CM and did nothing about it other. Hope we've got the budget for the big CM bully!

21 hours ago, GerOwl said:

Surprised at this one. I like Lee but can't see him staying injury free, still Brucie knows best so I hope it works out. I was hoping we could loan someone with those qualities. 

Who says we can't keep him and loan one in with similar attributes.

Like most of us have agreed, Bruce knows best.

5 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Joey Deacon. Explain ?

19 hours ago, k_guite said:

4-3-3 would be beautiful, quick overlapping full backs in Iorfa and hopefully a new LB. Lee Hutch Bannan with another holding midfielder for when SH breaks down/needs a rest. New CM for KL + BB cover. Quick winger for cover/different option to Reach and FF out wide. Fletch in the middle.

Hector

LB

Diame

CM

Winger

Easy this football manager lark... :)

What we don't want to be doing is looking for backups/cover  for ANY of our players. We need to be looking for BETTER players who can come in and stake a claim to be first team regulars. 

Imagine signing a player and telling him, "OK dude, you're going to be here as a cover for our midfielder. But don't worry, you'll definitely get some playing time cos he's usually injured for 30% of the season."  

On 05/05/2019 at 15:14, debram said:

He deserves the chance, hes a grafter and his attitude is spot on.

Don't understand how anyone can neg this statement. He is a model professional and if the team had the same level of commitment and professionalism we'd be looking very good for next year. 

1 hour ago, mozzy85 said:

Don't understand how anyone can neg this statement. He is a model professional and if the team had the same level of commitment and professionalism we'd be looking very good for next year. 

Agree, he's a role model for all at at swfc and what we expect of anyone associated with the club.

On 05/05/2019 at 21:30, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Hoopers been the highest paid forward weve had in two decades too...and the most injured too

On 5 May 2019 at 21:51, Minton said:

Well Nuhiu wasn't out of contract for starters...

But I would imagine the 35k and 16-18k per week salaries, along with the nearly 4 years of missed playing time between them due to injury played a factor as well. 

Add to that Kieran Lee is alleged to be on less money than this and it becomes a value-for-money issue... Keep Lee for £12k per week, allegedly, or pay up to three times as much for any of the rest and suddenly, it becomes quite an easy decision to make.