Kieran Lee staying.

Forget promotion if we go into next season with our midfield hopes pinned on Lee, Hutch and Bannan. We need to have that physical domineering central midfielder on the books next season along with some pace. Sentiment goes out of the window and the heady days of 2016 are in the past.

Our central midfield of Hutchinson Bannan and Lee wasn’t quite good enough when the crunch came three years ago.

They were all younger and fitter then so I just can’t believe Bruce will try and get promoted with two injury prone and one skillfull but lightweight player. (I have omitted Pelupessy because I don’t believe he’s anywhere near the standard needed)

If Lee stays, expect the addition of at least one younger powerfully athletic player to be added.

Much as I admire Hutch and Lee I think today showed we need much much more, especially if Bannan were to get injured at any time next season.

1 hour ago, ReginaldD said:

I'm sure the deal offered will be fi actually balanced taking into account his recent injury history. So in regards Lee I trust the club/Steve Bruce.

Agree. Won’t be likely to be on the same wage with so long out

3 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

I'm all for him staying, but if Bruce wants to stick to 4-4-2, with Hutchinson breaking down again are we.going back to Bannan and Lee in the middle.

Would like to see 4-3-3 with all three of them in the middle, but then who do you play upfront? Flecther or Hooper (assuming he stays) ? Who plays left? FF or Reach? If you play one down the middle like Fletcher or Hooper, what do you do with Winnall, Nuhiu, Joao and Rhodes? 

Alot for Bruce to figure out!

4-3-3 would be beautiful, quick overlapping full backs in Iorfa and hopefully a new LB. Lee Hutch Bannan with another holding midfielder for when SH breaks down/needs a rest. New CM for KL + BB cover. Quick winger for cover/different option to Reach and FF out wide. Fletch in the middle.

Hector

LB

Diame

CM

Winger

Easy this football manager lark... :)

I'm going to say that Lee is the kind of lad that deserves a chance to get back to where he was. I would also say he's been reasonable with any contract negotiations around that.

I'd have understood it if we'd let him go but I can definitely live with this one.

So we release a 31 year old forward with the best touch, control and vision we have had in two decades but retain an excellent, 30 year old midfielder with a similar injury record. Love both these players but bit perplexed why release Hooper when he is unique in what he brings in equal measure to Lee.

22 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

So we release a 31 year old forward with the best touch, control and vision we have had in two decades but retain an excellent, 30 year old midfielder with a similar injury record. Love both these players but bit perplexed why release Hooper when he is unique in what he brings in equal measure to Lee.

Wages and we have 7 forwards. Something has to give with the current Financial situation unfortunately 

26 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Perhaps a fully fit Lee would fit perfectly into the system Bruce wants us to adopt next season, whereas a fully fit Hooper wouldn't?

We've seen Norwich and the Blades go up by steadfastly focussing their recruitment on buying players to fit a system rather than the other way around, and I'd like to think we're about to do the same.

• Like 1