Oldest club status.

With Notts County being relegated, I'm guessing we're the third oldest club in the League, behind Stoke and Forest, (unless either of these two have been in administration which would make us the oldest).

One for the historians. 

TheWednesday1878.jpg

Small

Edited by M Royds

4 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Confirmed on twitter. garymegson

Notts County's relegation means Sheffield Wednesday (1867) are now the second oldest Football League club, behind Nottingham Forest (1865).

I thought so.

Shame about Notts County, probably biggest club to drop out of football league. 

Some decent well known clubs in National leagues now. 

Wrexham, Chesterfield, Hartlepool, York City, Stockport County, Aldershot, Hereford United, Barnet.

League 2 could have a team called Fylde in next season, I had never heard of them till recently. 

There was a piece in a match programme contesting Stoke's claim to being formed in 1863. And also chesterfield to 1866 so it was a few seasons back now.

May have been Fulham last game of 16/17 season.

Came to conclusion we was 3rd oldest in league behind County and Forest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

Wrexham, Chesterfield, Hartlepool, York City, Stockport County, Aldershot, Hereford United, Barnet.

League 2 could have a team called Fylde in next season, I had never heard of them till recently. 

Some decent away day trips in there, better than the likes of Reading for example. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sw1867 said:

I think we are older than stoke anyway.

Yep, Stoke are like Chesterfield, they claim to be formed in 1863, but are not the same club as the one that played in 1863. There’s not direct lineage like County, Forest and us 

Edited by Stevelknievel
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bradowl said:

Fylde are my 2nd team since Gretna folded 

4 hours ago, bradowl said:

Never heard of Fylde? Seriously?