• Nigel Pearson
    • Des Walker
    • Leigh Bromby
    • Mark Beevers
    • Richard Wood
    • Glenn Loovens
    • Tom Lees

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/05/19 at 23:00

I've gone for Des and Pearson. But could have been Des and any one of a few. Des was amazing and imo pretty much single handedly kept us in the Prem season after season, whilst surrounded by a lot of bang average players.

I chose Pearson for his goals and the fact that he is the only Owls captain in living memory to raise a trophy.

Would have chosen Emerson Thome had he been on the list. I thought he was immense during his short time with us.

Swan was England class, might well have made the ‘66 squad in other circumstances. Des was world class in his day.

Though some of the others were great club servants and fan favourites, in terms of footballing talent those two are on a different level for me. And they’d make a brilliant pairing.

Edited by Magic Rat

On 04/05/2019 at 11:48, shandypants said:

Easy choice for me, Mick Lyons and Des Walker. If I had to choose a third, it’d be Peter Shirtliff. 

Agreed though my third choice would be difficult with Shirtliffe, Viv Anderson, Mark Smith, Nigel Pearson, Paul Warhurst, Ian Knight and even Carlton Palmer back there

Edited by full fathom five

On 04/05/2019 at 18:24, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Snoots this is well skewed it should be on vote for each of our living years .'. my Swan vote x 68 lol

Agreed Nev. Add to your votes my Swan x 72, and that's only the years of WATCHING wednesday.

I would also include alongside him one of the club's greatest servants - Gerry Young, a man who played almost every forward position before making the Left Half position his own.

I would also add that I was a fan of Ralph O'Donnell, another classy CH, but I suppose I should have voted for Vic Mobley. Vic was not among the really top stoppers, but always did a good job for us. He would win my MOM award for his performance in the '66 Semi-final, when, though badly injured, refused to go off and hobbled around the opponents' penalty area. He did this not because he could do some good, but to tie up a man in case he did..

• Like 1

On 04/05/2019 at 11:27, Lord Snooty said:

image.png.9f612c55507429f5803543581dd58d0d.png

Wow. We've had a lot.

And many that I thought might be on but came up a few games short of qualification. But they can't all come in!

You might also be surprised by one or two that have given more service than you might have imagined.

Going through it there's been a high number from the 80's, possibly to do with Sgt. Wilko going with 3 at the back for long periods.

Anyway. Here's the list

It's open choice so you can pick more than one. 

I actually think this is one of the toughest votes, because if you're a bit of a football gimp like me , you won't only be choosing your favourites will you? No,  you'll be wracking your brains thinking about picking the ones you think would have the skills to make a great pair between them. 

"With his heading and his tackling, what a dream!" or  "I love these two, but they haven't got a yard of pace between them!"

Or will you? 

Maybe you're normal and just will pick your favourite two regardless of whether they'd actually work together as pair because...well it's just a bit of fun isn't it, they aren't actually taking to the pitch to play.

Remember lets also have your memories of these chaps. Games, tackles, goals,  moments, away days or nightclub meets!

It would have to be Des and Mick Lyons, just on the fact that Lyons was a better defender than Pearson. As leaders they were both warriors. The choice of Des speaks for itself.