• Nigel Pearson
    • Des Walker
    • Leigh Bromby
    • Mark Beevers
    • Richard Wood
    • Glenn Loovens
    • Tom Lees

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/05/19 at 23:00

3 hours ago, Mickjj said:

It would have been Jack Charlton who would never have got an England cap if Swan had still been playing.

that's not so …...swan was well out the international scene for 2 years before his ban ……..

Peter Swann was simply the best CH we ever had in my time,he was in a class of his own,there was little you could add to the guys game,he read danger way before it happened,he passed,tackled,headed and made it all look so easy and uncomplicated no fuss,He was tough as they came,loved nothing more than leaving his man on the ground in a heap,normally with his very first tackle,many a striker hit the running track around the pitch,opposition fans used to boo him as he ran out onto the pitch,such was his reputation throughout the land.He was well known for wearing his shorts very high up his long legs.

Im going to pair him up with Vic Mobley,solid,no nonsense CH,great in the air,strong on the floor,not much finesse about Vic,but he was a warrior,had to cover the mistakes of Ellis every week,and would have paired with Swan had he stayed at the club the following season to form a fearsome defesive partnership.

• Like 2

It surely has to be Peter Swan with his 19 international caps and he gets my vote. But there have been quite a few really good centre halfs in my 60+ years of supporting Wednesday.  Pearson & Shirtliffe were incredibly successful as a pair but Mobley, Lyons & Walker all deserve more than honourable mentions. Not in the same league of course but a centre half in the dark days of the 70's that I had a lot of time for was Jimmy Mullen 100% effort every time he donned the blue & white shirt.

• Like 1

Centre halves seem to come in pairs... Pearson and Shirtliff.... Mobley and Young, etc.

On their day, Pickering and Smith were brilliant with experience and youth blending well together. It took a bad foul to take Mark Smith out of the game in the last reply against Arsenal in the FA Cup marathon. Up to that point, Smith and Pickering had the Arsenal forwards in their pockets in the first match and all the replays.

• Like 1

Walker was easy, then I was stuck between Lyons and Pearson. Went with Pearson, I know he's an awkward character but he really was a top captain IMO.

Would have liked a nice little cameo for big Viv....maybe he'll be an option if we do subs???

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

No Emerson Thome?

Big fan of 'The Wall' myself,  sadly just the 61 games at the beginning of our slide before being sold (typically for less then the original offer) so hasn't made the cut. 

Bromby, Beevers, Wood, Shirtliff, oh my...

Thome not on the list, no Madjid Bougherra. Even Viv in his latter days was better than most listed. 

I’ve gone for Loovans, great man, great captain, and played a blinder for 3 seasons. 

And Walker, for obvious reasons. 

I thought Pearson was a good captain, but a bit of a cart horse who wouldn’t last 2 minutes in today’s games. And as it turns out, he’s a complete nob. 

Tom Lees might be up there in time

11 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

I never saw Swanny play, so it's a Pearson, Walker combo for me. That said, Gerry Young was close to being in there as I thought he was an outstanding defender for us and also chipped in with his share of goals. 

The one really abiding memory of one of our centre halves though lies with big Sam Ellis. It was in the Keegan, Scunny cup match when Sam soared like an eagle and sent a thumping header into the back of the net, OUR NET FFS lol  Come to think of it that might have been the only goal he ever scored in Wednesday colours. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :Sid:

Remember Big Sam scoring from a penalty at Hull in a 4-4 Boxing Day match. Mind you also remember him hitting the clock on the North Stand. WTF:

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

This really is a tough one.

Shirty was just shy of 300 games over his two spells. Terrific player for us.

And i still maintain we might have nicked one of those trophies in '93 if he'd not been injured, along with Pearson.

Having to use Carlton and then Warhurst there made all the difference.IMO. 

Agree we lost Warhurst up front and no matter how well Carlton played at the back we missed his presence in midfield protecting Waddle and Sheridan against let's say that physical Arsenal team 

21 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

You'll never beat Des Walker

Loved the guy but i still went Swan and Lyons.

Leaving the scandal a-side, an absolute perfect complimentary combo in every sense.

• Like 1

Peter Swan for me. Obviously another you had to have seen to understand what an outstanding player he was.

I went for Pearson second cos he was the rock in the middle of that brilliant team of the 90s and an excellent Captain.

Mobley, Shirtcliffe and Lyons, all were consistently good.

Sorry, no mention for Des from me.

4 hours ago, Mickjj said:

Remember Big Sam scoring from a penalty at Hull in a 4-4 Boxing Day match. Mind you also remember him hitting the clock on the North Stand. WTF:

Was that the match where we were winning 4-1 with about 10 minutes to go?

I was just a bit too young to remember Swannie in his heyday, so went with Lyons and Walker.

5 hours ago, Weshallovercome said:

I was just a bit too young to remember Swannie in his heyday, so went with Lyons and Walker.

That's the one.

9 hours ago, Weshallovercome said:

6 minutes and we were lucky to get the draw in the end …...