Bruce “I’ve offered...”

Dont think he would have come to Hillsborough if he was not calling the shots on player recruitment. He knows he has to work with a budget there are not many others in the championship we could trust to work with what we have and give us hope of top 6 finish next year

Picked up in this as well and made me do a little love wee. It’s these subtle things that build the bigger picture: A manager taking charge of footballing decisions, making decisions that make sense, communicating honestly and clearly, taking responsibility, showing desire and charisma. Thank foook for that!!

Reiterating what he said at his unveiling, and it's reassuring that is how it seems to be panning out.

• Bruce first press conference

"I would never take a job anywhere unless I had the final say. So all this..nonsense that I've read and this that and the other that the manager doesn't pick them (the players) , not under my watch.

• If that ever happens then I won't be here. So all the football decisions will be mine. If you're in this industry that has got to be the way. Because if you're gonna fall on the sword then the decisions have got to be yours. 

•   It was discussed, and really I think...the Chairman wanted someone like myself with a knowledge , who's been in it long enough to identify that we require for example at the minute we have 6 or 7 centre forwards , that's far too many for everybody, even though it's nice to have. So we'll look at that situation to start with.  But yes. All football decisions will be mine."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, shandypants said:

It’s great to hear in today’s interview that Steve Bruce is the manager in the true sense and that he is in charge of player recruitment and salaries. 

Bruce can attract players. Even if Carlos and Jos were given free reign (they claim they were), nobody had heard of them, so in their defence, being a "proper" manager was probably not an option. Coaching ability aside, being no-names should've disqualified them from the job.

Feeling very positive about Bruce, and given the cloud of FFP, it's very positive we've been in a position to extend a contract offer to Westwood!

27 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

the Chairman wanted someone like myself with a knowledge , who's been in it long enough to identify that we require for example at the minute we have 6 or 7 centre forwards , that's far too many for everybody

Common sense! Amplifies just how daft the signing of Rhodes was. Anyone with a bit of footballing nous would've put the kibosh on the transfer, simply because we already had an abundance of forwards... and that's before seeing the price tag.

1 minute ago, bobness said:

Common sense! Amplifies just how daft the signing of Rhodes was. Anyone with a bit of footballing nous would've put the kibosh on the transfer, simply because we already had an abundance of forwards... and that's before seeing the price tag.

Good point

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, bobness said:

Disagree. We were very close to promotion and had the chance to sign a player who was a proven at this level and could have got us over the line. It was a great signing at the time and the vast majority on here agreed with it. hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

Fulham gambled like we did the year after with Mitrovic, and it paid off. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

Disagree. We were very close to promotion and had the chance to sign a player who was a proven at this level and could have got us over the line. It was a great signing at the time and the vast majority on here agreed with it. hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

Fair point. I see what you're saying. Admittedly it did feel good to finally snag Rhodes, but then again, I don't profess to having much footballing nous. One would hope that footballing professionals would have a little more insight than the Owlstalk collective.

I'm not convinced anyone in the footballing world (beyond Boro) would've categorized it as a "great signing".  I recall there were some wiser posters on here who rightfully questioned the transfer, in part because the style Rhodes plays didn't jive with what we were doing at the time. I'm not claiming to be smarter than Carlos when it comes to football, but I do think it's plausible to believe this wouldn't have happened on Bruce's watch, especially because there were other areas we could've done with gambling on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

Rhodes always needed two fast as f**k wingers from day 1 but never got them past day 2....

More to it than just that in my opinion

I noticed this. I don’t for a second thing that he doesn’t have to put his ideas to DC and get them signed off, but just the ownership of the decision rather than “we” or “the chairman” is quite telling of the mindset. 

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

i'd be surprised if he had the final say on salaries …...

You might be surprised then. He might not be involved in the salary negotiations but my guess that it’ll be him that sets the salary ceiling value. 

He is charged with transforming the squad and knows the limitations and parameters he has to work with. Bruce won’t want Mr C or someone else spaffing away his player recruitment budget. Bruce controlling the budget (as opposed to whoever did it previously) could quite possibly mean one or two extra players in. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vulva said:

Fulham didn't already have six forwards though.

• Like 1