It's A Time For Change

This post is really just an amalgamation of scattered thoughts and posts I've shared in recent weeks, hopefully consolidated into something a bit more coherent as I reflect on Bruce's comments this morning: "It's a time for change. They've come close twice, this group of players, and unfortunately they've all grown a little bit older together so we need some younger, fresher legs into the squad and that will happen."

As much as I rate many of our players (and am sometimes referred to as a 'clapper' for my troubles), I've been struck recently by just how bored I am of our squad and the fact that we've had largely the same group of players for the past three seasons.

I know that might sound negative and perhaps even entitled, but it was a genuine thought and one which I've since struggled to shake.

Thank goodness it sounds like we're not going into yet another season with essentially the same bunch of players, no matter how much I may like them as individual footballers. Of course that doesn't mean that every player will change, but I'd welcome news of decent bids for any of our players with a resale value so that Bruce can shift on those who don't 100% mesh with his plans, and start to shape the squad that he wants.

Over the coming months, there are going to be players who I'll be sad to see leave - of that I'm certain - but we have to take the chance to refresh and rebuild our squad whilst the opportunity presents itself. If selling a player or two allows us to generate a transfer kitty, ease our P&S worries, and reinvest in players Bruce has earmarked for his style of play, then we simply have to capitalise on any interest our players may attract.

We need a sea change at our club: a new philosophy; a new style of football; a new mentality; a new group of players.

It sounds like Bruce is now starting this process in earnest, and I for one can't wait.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Mardy Bum said:

What Carlos should have said and done after the huddfield play off game 

Agree, although in reality he should have been out of a job after the Huddersfield play off game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Mardy Bum said:

What Carlos should have said and done after the huddfield play off game 

Very true.

At least Luhukay's tenure turned out to be an odd period of inertia rather than a wholesale dodgy rebuilding job on shaky foundations.

I actually can't think of a manager I'd rather have in charge to oversee the root and branch overhaul we're likely to be undertaking than Bruce.

• Like 1

Spot on. 

We a team who have proved they know how to bottle big games. 

Look at pig squad, their star players do it week in week out. We need players able to turn up and do the job on a weekly basis. 

very well put, i think it will take a while to fully recover the squad from the dreadful signings and contracts handed out in the past. But if we can show patience with Bruce we will go up at some point i am sure. Everything he says leans towards a fresh start which i can't wait for. But he needs 3-4 years before we can judge, whether any fan base in 2019 can be that patient i have doubts over, but i think that is what is required.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I reckon we are one of the only clubs in England that has core players still in the squad from about 5-6years ago. Mad really. 

Purely because DC seemed to refuse to sell. Glad Bruce is in now because he will be an advocate of constant change and progression.

Seriously though..yea it is time for a change

We have the manager who, all things being equal is able to more than compete with the best in the Championship.

It remains to be seen if we have the resources to back him.

We cannot compete with United sadly, on the pitch, but I reckon if Chansiri would bend somewhat with the pricing, we could compete off it.

There are no signs of this happening and its a pity, because it will lead to more pressure on Steve Bruce....The impatience in the fanbase will grow, based on who United are playing, how they are doing and also what their fans are PAYING to watch it.

Anyone with any sense knows that the tat rolled out about us being "Classier" is rubbish, that dichotomy does not exist in the environs of one City..It simply doesn't and its time to face up to it..Its simply banter that has no basis in fact..By all means carry on with the banter, but if you believe it..you are deluded.

How do you temper the inevitable impatience that will come with Bruce rebuilding and us not up at the top of the Championship next season?..I don't see how you do without some sort of concession to the fans....

8 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Seriously though..yea it is time for a change

We have the manager who, all things being equal is able to more than compete with the best in the Championship.

It remains to be seen if we have the resources to back him.

We cannot compete with United sadly, on the pitch, but I reckon if Chansiri would bend somewhat with the pricing, we could compete off it.

There are no signs of this happening and its a pity, because it will lead to more pressure on Steve Bruce....The impatience in the fanbase will grow, based on who United are playing, how they are doing and also what their fans are PAYING to watch it.

Anyone with any sense knows that the tat rolled out about us being "Classier" is rubbish, that dichotomy does not exist in the environs of one City..It simply doesn't and its time to face up to it..Its simply banter that has no basis in fact..By all means carry on with the banter, but if you believe it..you are deluded.

How do you temper the inevitable impatience that will come with Bruce rebuilding and us not up at the top of the Championship next season?..I don't see how you do without some sort of concession to the fans....

DC has backed himself into a corner now on that one. He used the now infamous supporters survey to try to justify the high pricing strategy implying that it was the only way to bring success to the club. Our city neighbours have now proved that promotion can be achieved without that pricing structure. I guess you are right, Next season will have to include concessions on ticket pricing or DC will dig himself deeper and deeper into the hole.

2 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

DC has backed himself into a corner now on that one. He used the now infamous supporters survey to try to justify the high pricing strategy implying that it was the only way to bring success to the club. Our city neighbours have now proved that promotion can be achieved without that pricing structure. I guess you are right, Next season will have to include concessions on ticket pricing or DC will dig himself deeper and deeper into the hole.

All down to attendances

If attendances climb (as I'm pretty sure they will under Steve Bruce) then there's no real reason or motivation for the chairman to change a thing price wise.

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

All down to attendances

If attendances climb (as I'm pretty sure they will under Steve Bruce) then there's no real reason or motivation for the chairman to change a thing price wise.

Obviously not, that lot getting promotion had nothing to do with our comparative attendances but it does play on supporter psyche (as in every other aspect of life really). If a better product is offered cheaper elsewhere in any industry, it is bound to impinge on "customer" satisfaction (I know people don't like that word to describe football supporters but it is appropriate here only as a comparison with anything else that people buy or do in the world).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

All down to attendances

Attendances will stay pretty much static, or probably drop..We have lost one of the big gates already...If followed by Leeds or Villa, we have lost two..maybe replace one with Barnsley..Who else?

Wednesday need to generate something for themselves...You can't bring a bloody flag in, a banner in...its sit down, clap, hope for the best, there is nothing generating an atmosphere, bar what happens on the field of play...

Play "Hi Ho" sit down ..wait for a goal or a bad refs decision to get the fans mumping...Its all reactionary..It needs to change, and the club do nowt to change it, the fans aren't allowed to do owt to change it it, so it carries on...

Hit and miss cut prices..be Luton etc next year...

"Come on down for a tenner and see Luton"?...yer disenfranchised fans say ..."Thanks but no thanks" and who's to blame them?

Wednesday seriously need to create something...The bloody incessant cant of "The Wednesday family" means nowt if some of the "family" can't afford to come to the party.