Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Before Chansiri put up the prices our 12 Championship averages prior to 2016/17were just over  22000 . The last 3 seasons with sky high admission it's 25000. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy poo is it weird or wierd

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i before e - except after c, and all the other exceptions.

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Before Chansiri put up the prices our 12 Championship averages prior to 2016/17were just over  22000 . The last 3 seasons with sky high admission it's 25000. 

 

To be honest Buckers...I suspect

  1. The promise of millions to spend after 20 years in the wilderness
  2. A play off final run creating a feeling of belief and euphoria
  3. An expectation that the first two points 1&2 could carry on for a third season 

..were more of an influence on the attendances than

 

  • "Prices have gone reyt high. Must get a ticket!"
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We won games, for the 1st time in 25 years we went to Wembley and 40,000 went down. The next year we had our highest finish since the PL in 4th, we all thought it would happen again in the 3rd year, next year we have Bruce. In the years before that we had no money, free signings and no hope of a top half finish nevermind promotion. Winning will always generate fans. The fact prices are at ridiculous levels didn't increase attendance. 40 quid for a football match ticket in the championship is a joke.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prices are indeed too high for the championship.

But the 'weird stat', as the OP calls it, shows there are no 'missing thousands' as another thread says.

Attendences are almost as high as when we were premier league, on average over last three or four years

  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Before Chansiri put up the prices our 12 Championship averages prior to 2016/17were just over  22000 . The last 3 seasons with sky high admission it's 25000. 

 

Hi Mr Chansiri 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

 

Hi Mr Chansiri 

 

The spelling in the title gave it away!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Before Chansiri put up the prices our 12 Championship averages prior to 2016/17were just over  22000 . The last 3 seasons with sky high admission it's 25000. 

So before Chansiri arrived and in the 12 years that we spent more often than not either fighting the drop or being relegated our attendance were lower than the three season where we signed a load of players and got to the play off finals twice.

 

I believe the answer to this is no poo sherlock.

 

 

 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, EveryWednesday said:

Prices are indeed too high for the championship.

But the 'weird stat', as the OP calls it, shows there are no 'missing thousands' as another thread says.

Attendences are almost as high as when we were premier league, on average over last three or four years

All we need is a better control over our costs like signing players on big fees and on £30,000 a week and then never playing them for 3 years.

 

But this is unlikely to chance unless DC brings in someone who knows how to run a football club without getting the fans to pay for everything in higher prices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, EveryWednesday said:

Prices are indeed too high for the championship.

But the 'weird stat', as the OP calls it, shows there are no 'missing thousands' as another thread says.

Attendences are almost as high as when we were premier league, on average over last three or four years

There’s lots of factors to this, but price is obviously a key one.

 

People might find this interesting as it shows average attendances by year for each division:

 

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/nav/attnengleague.htm

 

It shows attendances across the board are up roughly a third in the last 20 years. Ours aren’t for various reasons, the main one being that we have been rubbish for a large part of that time. But now that we have a decent side, the thing holding our attendances back is the price. Genuinely think we’d average 30k+ with more affordable pricing

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, EveryWednesday said:

Prices are indeed too high for the championship.

But the 'weird stat', as the OP calls it, shows there are no 'missing thousands' as another thread says.

Attendences are almost as high as when we were premier league, on average over last three or four years

I believe the "Missing 1000's" is correct because virtually every other clubs crowds have gone up over the last 10 to 20 years whereas ours have remained stagnent. I believe given our current circumstances and reasonable pricing Wednesday could average around 27000 to 30000 depending on our league position. 

  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

There’s lots of factors to this, but price is obviously a key one.

 

People might find this interesting as it shows average attendances by year for each division:

 

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/nav/attnengleague.htm

 

It shows attendances across the board are up roughly a third in the last 20 years. Ours aren’t for various reasons, the main one being that we have been rubbish for a large part of that time. But now that we have a decent side, the thing holding our attendances back is the price. Genuinely think we’d average 30k+ with more affordable pricing

I think next season the premiership football in S2 and the sky red button option will have a significant affect on our gates.

 

The club need to wake up and realise we cannot get out of the mess that DC has allowed to happen by simply charging more for the tickets and merchandise. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the 3 year season ticket deal will have played a large part in that .

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The match day experience has become a fair bit better too. New scoreboard, better pitch, more things to do. Under MM it was all a bit grim. That's surely contributed to more people coming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, EveryWednesday said:

Prices are indeed too high for the championship.

But the 'weird stat', as the OP calls it, shows there are no 'missing thousands' as another thread says.

Attendences are almost as high as when we were premier league, on average over last three or four years

This all day long. People keep putting a slant on the "we'd get 30K if the price was cheaper" We wouldn't, we haven't for over 50 years- end of!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

This all day long. People keep putting a slant on the "we'd get 30K if the price was cheaper" We wouldn't, we haven't for over 50 years- end of!

So if we averaged 27k in 2016/17 with these prices you don’t think more people would go on top of that if prices were lower? What you’re basically saying is that demand is completely price inelastic which doesn’t seem true when you hear so many people mentioning price as a reason why they don’t go.

 

Think there’s more interest in live football now than there was at any point in the last 50 years due to TV exposure. And younger people nowadays are all about experiences so just think it’s evolving but Wednesday aren’t evolving with the trend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Cowle70 said:

I believe the "Missing 1000's" is correct because virtually every other clubs crowds have gone up over the last 10 to 20 years whereas ours have remained stagnent. I believe given our current circumstances and reasonable pricing Wednesday could average around 27000 to 30000 depending on our league position. 

 

3 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

So if we averaged 27k in 2016/17 with these prices you don’t think more people would go on top of that if prices were lower? What you’re basically saying is that demand is completely price inelastic which doesn’t seem true when you hear so many people mentioning price as a reason why they don’t go.

 

Think there’s more interest in live football now than there was at any point in the last 50 years due to TV exposure. And younger people nowadays are all about experiences so just think it’s evolving but Wednesday aren’t evolving with the trend

 

It just seems counter intuitive to suggest that 'Wednesday aren't evolving' when we are averaging 3k - 5k more under DC than at any point since 2000, and also that's not stagnent.

 

It shows people are willing to pay to watch us have a crack at the top (even with the cr@p over the last two years), and by the looks of it ST sales for next year seem strong, although i admit this remains to be seen.

 

Two points;

I) when we do reduce prices for the odd game to £20 it never seriously improves the gate

II) our city neighbours, for example, have only just out averaged us this season despite the obviously lower cost of tickets for years. Our fans inhabit much the same economic space as SUFC so i dont see why lowering the cost would have thousands more streaming in. The reason their attendences have risen is performance on the pitch

  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EveryWednesday said:

 

Two points;

I) when we do reduce prices for the odd game to £20 it never seriously improves the gate

 

It's an interesting one that. It's habit isn't it. 

When people get out of the habit, will a one off draw them back. When they know it's going back to normal the week after?

I'm not so sure they do.

If for example they said "It's £20 a match for the next three months I think we'd see a better response. People getting the taste again.

 

6 minutes ago, EveryWednesday said:

II) our city neighbours, for example, have only just out averaged us this season despite the obviously lower cost of tickets for years. Our fans inhabit much the same economic space as SUFC so i dont see why lowering the cost would have thousands more streaming in. The reason their attendences have risen is performance on the pitch

 

Totally agree. On pitch performance will always be a huge driver on gates. Especially for the following season.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EveryWednesday said:

 

 

It just seems counter intuitive to suggest that 'Wednesday aren't evolving' when we are averaging 3k - 5k more under DC than at any point since 2000, and also that's not stagnent.

 

It shows people are willing to pay to watch us have a crack at the top (even with the cr@p over the last two years), and by the looks of it ST sales for next year seem strong, although i admit this remains to be seen.

 

Two points;

I) when we do reduce prices for the odd game to £20 it never seriously improves the gate

II) our city neighbours, for example, have only just out averaged us this season despite the obviously lower cost of tickets for years. Our fans inhabit much the same economic space as SUFC so i dont see why lowering the cost would have thousands more streaming in. The reason their attendences have risen is performance on the pitch

I agree that the product on the pitch is equally as important as price. If we’re rubbish, people just don’t want to spend their Saturday watching it unless they’re hardcore fans. So it’s natural that there will be more demand post investment from DC.

 

On your two points.. I think reducing the price for the odd game here and there doesn’t work because the part timers don’t even know that’s the case. You’d only find out about it if you already attend games or are looking at tickets - If perception is that ‘it’s 40 quid to watch Wednesday’ those fans don’t even check anymore so wouldn’t see it. On Utd, it’s the same for them but the only difference is Wednesday are a slightly bigger club... would expect us to have higher attendances than them if we had the same league position and prices. The fact that our attendances aren’t far behind theirs when they’re higher in the league with much cheaper prices supports this

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...