What transfer policy are you expecting?

What transfer policy are you expecting?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Our Summer...

• We'll spend over 10 million on players in their prime
    • We'll spend around 5 million on 1 or 2 players and add depth with free agents
    • Bargain basement, we'll pick up some 30+ year olds and youth players for cheap + a few loans
    • No money spent, all free transfers and loans
    • None of the above...please enlighten us with your choice

This poll is closed to new votes

“Just having a transfer policy” - best answer in this thread.

It came as a huge relief that SB and his coaching team took literally minutes to identify our weaknesses and do a good job of addressing them with next to no transfer window left and minimal budget.

I’m sure they already have targets that will further improve us at little cost.

Two bits of internal business would give us a solid base to build on -

Westwood - his reading of the game and communication with the defence are unrivalled in this league. He makes everyone in front of him better. Worth several goals a season as we’ve seen since his remarkable return as our number one.

Hector - Brings so much to us defensively, especially when he anticipates a threat, steps up and eliminates it. Also, he makes Lees a much better player, in the way Loovens used to.

I actually think in spite of everything we will have a good window. Looking forward to the ins and the outs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Boothy said:

Palmer to be let go for me I'm afraid. 

The lad has made giant strides but from a really low performance base and the mistakes against Villa and Preston show vulnerability in a position where we simply cant afford it anymore 

You need players that are happy to be squad players. I'd guess that's Palmer.

Having shown he's capable of covering both full back positions and unlikely to be on big money I'd suggest Palmer fits into the overall picture quite nicely.

1 minute ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

You need players that are happy to be squad players. I'd guess that's Palmer.

Having shown he's capable of covering both full back positions and unlikely to be on big money I'd suggest Palmer fits into the overall picture quite nicely.

Think you’re doing him a huge disservice He was never as bad as some make out, but now he’s one of the first names on the team sheet. I approve the signing of Iorfa, but currently, Palmer would keep him out. He’s actually a good defender

8 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Think you’re doing him a huge disservice He was never as bad as some make out, but now he’s one of the first names on the team sheet. I approve the signing of Iorfa, but currently, Palmer would keep him out. He’s actually a good defender

I've said consistently all season (right from the Sunderland game in the cup) he's been performing better than people are giving him credit for, but if our ambition is truly promotion I think we ideally need more dynamic full backs than Palmer. 

As for Palmer v Iorfa, Iorfa gets in for me on the basis of giving us some much needed pace and improving us at both ends when it comes to set pieces. I have no issue with Palmer though and wouldn't be upset to see him starting games next season.

Personally I’m hoping for a transfer policy which puts aside the emotional and sentimental elements that fans have with favourite players. Hope they think about who they want to build the team around, who’s not suited to 46 games in the Championship, who’s bone idle, who’s riding on trams all day, who’s still eating mushrooms and who will run through a brick wall for the manager. I’d like to think the three Steves are very well connected and respected around the leagues and will pick up young players from lower leagues and “reserve” squads in the premiership, we do need some youth, energy and ambition in the ranks to freshen it up a bit. Looking forward to next season already, will we for once get off to a flyer?

I expect we will see Reach and potentially Joao move on. Most of the ones out of contract too whether we offer terms or not. 

I hope we just pick a style of play that suits us, as Bruce has done and bring players in who suit that and have plenty to prove and plenty of energy. That approach has worked elsewhere this season, we still have quality under contract to make the difference. There’s a few talents in the EFL and hopefully we have a manager now who is willing to give them a chance 

11 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

There are players out there that will improve our squad without costing the earth. Of course we have to find them first but I trust Bruce and his scouting team to do exactly this.

Agreed, but it depends who we lose. Lose any of our big players, Westwood, Hector, Bannan, Reach or Forestieri, and we will struggle to replace them

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Agreed, but it depends who we lose. Lose any of our big players, Westwood, Hector, Bannan, Reach or Forestieri, and we will struggle to replace them

On the face of it, it may seem so but all players are replaceable and there are some gems out there. Unearthing them is the hard bit. United and Norwich have shown it can be done especially Norwich after selling their best players in the summer and bringing into the first team the likes of Ben Godfrey & Teemu Pukki.

As said in most posts that the financial plight that were in will determine what we do. I myself think were in a lot of strife so I would expect more retinae's than most people expect or would do themselves.

Pudil, Abdi, Jones alone will remove a significant amount off the wage bill while having no effect on the actual squad as these players haven't played in the first team for a long time. I would add Boyd to that list which again will be a significant amount of wage saved but I think he will be retained.

I expect Matias Palmer and Lee to be retained on reduced wages which I think they will sign (same with Boyd), then we may well offer Hooper one too but he will have offers of a good wage in Scotland or America so I cant see him taking a reduction here unless he is happy in his personal life.

• Like 1

On 29/04/2019 at 17:55, SiJ said:

Hull would be the standout.

When he got them up first time, they didn't spend all that much.

Long time ago, but I dont think he spent big money with Brum when he took them up the first time. 

First time SB got Dull promoted in 2012 he spent £5-6M on the likes of Meyler (£1.5M), Proschwitz (£2.5M), Stephen Quinn and freebies such as Aluko, Faye, his son Alex and used the loan market for Elmohamady, Amos, Stockdale, Robbie Brady and Boyd.

2016 he spent a similar amount c£5M and recouping nearly £25M as they had been relegated so sightly different circumstances but as a previous post mentioned he signed the Clucas, Odubajo, Ryan Taylor, Maloney, Diomande.

Brum first time round was slightly different as he joined before Xmas but spent over £1.5M on Vickers, Kenna, Stern John, Damian Johnson, Tebily. 

Brum’s second promotion was after a season relegated from the Prem. Again he sold c£24M worth of players (Heskey, Pennant, David Dunn, Upson,etc) then spent c£13M on Cameron Jerome, Neil Danns, Stephen Clemence, Rowan Vine, N,Gotty & Jaidi, McSheffrey and loans of Muamba, Larsson, Bendtner & Andy Cole.

So overall a range of players bought in to mount a challenge (young to old, unknown to proven, British & Foreign) and use of the Loan Market. Also demonstrates he’s had to rebuild sides by selling off the best players to manoeuvre in the transfer market.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, kaiser soze said:

First time SB got Dull promoted in 2012 he spent £5-6M on the likes of Meyler (£1.5M), Proschwitz (£2.5M), Stephen Quinn and freebies such as Aluko, Faye, his son Alex and used the loan market for Elmohamady, Amos, Stockdale, Robbie Brady and Boyd.

2016 he spent a similar amount c£5M and recouping nearly £25M as they had been relegated so sightly different circumstances but as a previous post mentioned he signed the Clucas, Odubajo, Ryan Taylor, Maloney, Diomande.

Brum first time round was slightly different as he joined before Xmas but spent over £1.5M on Vickers, Kenna, Stern John, Damian Johnson, Tebily. 

Brum’s second promotion was after a season relegated from the Prem. Again he sold c£24M worth of players (Heskey, Pennant, David Dunn, Upson,etc) then spent c£13M on Cameron Jerome, Neil Danns, Stephen Clemence, Rowan Vine, N,Gotty & Jaidi, McSheffrey and loans of Muamba, Larsson, Bendtner & Andy Cole.

So overall a range of players bought in to mount a challenge (young to old, unknown to proven, British & Foreign) and use of the Loan Market. Also demonstrates he’s had to rebuild sides by selling off the best players to manoeuvre in the transfer market.

Crikey he’s signed some crap over the years. Suppose it would be more relevant to look at the signings he made at Villa

Hope we release everyone out of contract baring Westwood and Palmer. We'd save a fortune on the likes of Boyd, Abdi, Jones, Pudil, Matias. And with a heavy heart also release Lee and Hooper. Transfer list 2 forwards, probably Winnall and Rhodes. Then shop around for players out of contract this summer, can't see any fees been paid for anybody so freebies and loan deals it'll be.

I think we only need a maximum of around 4 players, obviously Hector is priority. Then a recognised left back, a good quality winger if Aarons doesn't stay and maybe a centre midfielder who can play 40+ games with Bannan.

At left back Stephen Ward at Burnley and Bong at Brighton are out of contracts, they might drop down in to the championship next season as they haven't featured much in the prem.

Danny Williams is out of contract at Hudds, always liked him there and at Reading he could be a cracking partner for Bannan/Hutchinson.

On the wings Kebano is out of contract at Fulham who we was linked with in January, Bakary Sako is also out of contract and hasn't featured much for WBA/Palace this year.

So even though I know it's not Football manager, I do think Ward, Williams and Sako would be realistic free transfers for us? nothing too optimistic there