Echoes of 1990

Was walking home last night and went past this house... some bloke stood naked on his chair with what looked like a John Sheridan hat from 1990 and pumping his fist in the air. Not sure what he was doing with that VHS player though, looked painful, maybe he was just tracking. 

lol 

• Haha 1

I am a little envious of Sheffield United and any other team really getting to the Premier League but not really that jealous of them being in the Premier League.
Going to be even more silly kick off times and be some thrashing dished out to Sheff U next season. Not being bitter but even if they go into last month of season with a fighting chance of stopping up they are doing well.

9 hours ago, mrgund said:

OP

I was actually thinking this earlier today. There's definitely that kind of deflated but optimistic feel to now and looking beyond to next season. I get where you're coming from with the 1990 feel.

Good times will be back soon. For now I'm going to squeeze into my early 90's home shirt, don my Sheridan bucket hat and smash  THE WILL TO WIN VHS into my tape player and get ready for the fireworks while getting goosebumps at that Hull City home game and Hirsty's goals.

* stands from chair, punches curtain with a fist pump and shouts BARMY ARMY BARMY ARMY at a stranger walking past the house *

That's weird, just walked past this lunatics house and " **~#/@>"#~<";:%

Honestly, some right nutters out there.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pulsar said:

Arrr you're reyt....

it's "being" 

(apologies, most spelling mistakes don't bother me but this is a major bugbear of mine. Some younger generation folk read it enough and it becomes accepted)

I hate that typo too, but it’s got you rattled - reckon Wadsley actually means ‘been’ in this case...

:Sid:

8 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

I hate that typo too, but it’s got you rattled - reckon Wadsley actually means ‘been’ in this case...

:Sid:

Ha you could well be correct but it only fits if it was used as the second word in his post.

The position he put it makes 'being' more appropriate.

My God I'm a bit of a nauseas twohat!!

Get on my own nerves sometimes.

• Haha 1

I don't think it really compares to that day almost 30 years ago now.

Leeds may not go up, and I'm grateful that we didn't go down, bearing in mind how we were under Luhukay.

I've taken terrible stick today, as I'm sure you have, but our predictions about United's chances in the Championship were based on what happens 99.99% of the time when a board invests next to nothing in players and wages.

We weren't wrong, it's just that we couldn't possibly have predicted that Wilder could have achieved what he has with that group of players.

It's another Leicester scenario.

McCabe's ridden his luck and got away with it because Wilder is British, a Blade, and has gone under the radar until now.

But if he doesn't put his hand in his pocket then his luck's going to run out sooner rather than later.

12 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I am a little envious of Sheffield United and any other team really getting to the Premier League but not really that jealous of them being in the Premier League.
Going to be even more silly kick off times and be some thrashing dished out to Sheff U next season. Not being bitter but even if they go into last month of season with a fighting chance of stopping up they are doing well.

This is the weird thing.

I desperately want promotion (even more now), but the idea of getting wholloped by so and so every other weekend doesn't sound so great. 

Edited by SiJ

21 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

I’m not jealous at all, honestly I’m not.

It hurts to see the Blunts get something we’ve been close to getting before us, but it’s a heck of a mixed blessing tbf.

Yes the money is amazing for securing the club financially...in theory. In reality, you have to spank most of it trying and failing to stay up, then jizz the rest on massive  wages for disillusioned half-arsed players the year after.

Boring seasons with little chance of much real joy outside the top 6, even madder prices for pies and kits, makeshift teams of wandering mercenaries cobbled together in a panic who you’re then lumbered with for two to three years...ugh, I always want Wednesday to ‘succeed’ but I don’t half enjoy the Champ. I’d genuinely feel really conflicted about finally ‘making it’ to the ‘promised land’.

Obviously it remains the goal, otherwise why bother with any of it, what’s the motivation? The players want it and understandably so, that’s the big motivation that keeps them fighting. For the fans? Yes, brief bragging rights. Yes, world-class players tearing you to bits. But proper highs and lows? Wet Tuesday nights at Ipswich? Month-long arguments over decisions without VAR? Honestly I’d miss more than I’d look forward to.

Selfish and small-minded and unambitious, maybe. But the Prem is basically gash in all but status.

My thoughts exactly. I never watch the prem now. If we got promoted I would rather keep roughly the same team, take the beatings and get relegated with loads of dosh that could then be used to subsidise the cost of everything going forwards - the youth set up, ground improvements, the community side of the club, ticket prices, even merchandise. Keep the money within the club and for the benefit of the fans rather than spunking it on foreign mercenaries who will be no use back in the championship. Take the prem's money and then stick 2 fingers up at them. It could help us run the club properly for years. 

7 minutes ago, SiJ said:

This is the weird thing.

I desperately want promotion (even more now), but the idea of getting wholloped by so and so every other weekend doesn't sound so great. 

It's the image that exists in our heads isn't it. The pictures painted by the words and names.

Manchester United,  Tottenham Hotspur, The Arsenal,  Sheffield Wednesday.  We want to be up there, and hearing and being involved in games with those clubs who's names and shirts are known in the pyche of every football fan in the country. 

But we don't want it in the circumstances of the circus cartel it has become.

It really is a no win situation in some ways.

21 hours ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

......,,Almost every team is full of brain dead, soulless mercenaries. Whilst the football is “fast and frenetic”, it has also become seriously robotic and predictable. There are no characters anymore, nothing exciting or out of the ordinary. I particularly can’t bear watching any of the “Top 6”.

21 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

,,,,,,,,,,Yes the money is amazing for securing the club financially...in theory. In reality, you have to spank most of it trying and failing to stay up, then jizz the rest on massive  wages for disillusioned half-arsed players the year after.

Boring seasons with little chance of much real joy outside the top 6, even madder prices for pies and kits, makeshift teams of wandering mercenaries cobbled together in a panic who you’re then lumbered with for two to three years

Sounds remarkably familiar - where have yous been the  past 2 seasons !?!?!?

• Haha 1

Having massively underestimated Wilder in the first 2 years of him being manager of the pigs im not about to make the same mistake. It's not a given they will fail. They may do ok, theres a lot of jaded teams ripe for plucking.

1 minute ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Stuck 12 past Halliwell in the FA Cup in 1890 - biggest recorded Wednesday win ever.

..another omen perhaps?  or now just clutching at straws..

Was that Geri Halliwell on her own or were the rest of the spice girls playing? If so fair do's.

3 hours ago, SiJ said:

This is the weird thing.

Exactly, and that fact won't be lost on the fragrant Wilder either.

He's already chuntered about lack of investment, but he's now "arrived" and it's go to stool or bust.

Blades fans may be giggling at our expense right now, but if he quits for pastures new then that lot will very quickly unravel.