Echoes of 1990

Some won't need reminding what happened in 1990 I'm sure but the end of this season has a similar feel in some ways.

No, we haven't been relegated so it's not on the same level, but with the Blades going up we find ourselves a division below and  looking a little enviously across the city (expecting Truefans to tell me how they'll never be envious of those piggy b*st**rds etc etc)

Just as in 1990 though we have an experienced and charismatic 'father figure' steadying the ship and steering us through the choppy waters. Regardless of what's happening across the city(no doubt many are about to have their noses rubbed well and truly in it tomorrow morning) there's a feeling of optimism and pragmatism. 

If the financial situation can be handled over the summer (and providing Bruce doesn't have to operate with one hand tied behind his backl then I think this generation may have found it's Big Ron.

Different times, and I'm not predicting cup wins but put aside the Blunts' party bus finally getting out of the garage and there may well be plenty of reasons to be cheerful.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Different times, and I'm not predicting cup wins but put aside the Blunts' party bus finally getting out of the garage and there may well be plenty of reasons to be cheerful.

Party bus

PigOnBus.jpg

• Haha 9

2 minutes ago, selbyowls said:

Don't think current players are the same quality as 1990.

Don't really think that's the point the OP is making. 

Clearly, we don't have players at the level of those in the early 90s, but we do have some good players for the level we are at and a very capable manager. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Some won't need reminding what happened in 1990 I'm sure but the end of this season has a similar feel in some ways.

No, we haven't been relegated so it's not on the same level, but with the Blades going up we find ourselves a division below and  looking a little enviously across the city (expecting Truefans to tell me how they'll never be envious of those piggy b*st**rds etc etc)

Just as in 1990 though we have an experienced and charismatic 'father figure' steadying the ship and steering us through the choppy waters. Regardless of what's happening across the city(no doubt many are about to have their noses rubbed well and truly in it tomorrow morning) there's a feeling of optimism and pragmatism. 

If the financial situation can be handled over the summer (and providing Bruce doesn't have to operate with one hand tied behind his backl then I think this generation may have found it's Big Ron.

Maybe, let's hope they don't win again until after Christmas, just like under Dave Harry Houdini Bassett. 

I'm hoping for big changes at Wednesday over the summer and I don't think we'll know if we're on the right track until September. 

That's four to five months of FFP /FFS. 

I can't wait. 

• Like 1

I’m not jealous at all, honestly I’m not.

It hurts to see the Blunts get something we’ve been close to getting before us, but it’s a heck of a mixed blessing tbf.

Yes the money is amazing for securing the club financially...in theory. In reality, you have to spank most of it trying and failing to stay up, then jizz the rest on massive  wages for disillusioned half-arsed players the year after.

Boring seasons with little chance of much real joy outside the top 6, even madder prices for pies and kits, makeshift teams of wandering mercenaries cobbled together in a panic who you’re then lumbered with for two to three years...ugh, I always want Wednesday to ‘succeed’ but I don’t half enjoy the Champ. I’d genuinely feel really conflicted about finally ‘making it’ to the ‘promised land’.

Obviously it remains the goal, otherwise why bother with any of it, what’s the motivation? The players want it and understandably so, that’s the big motivation that keeps them fighting. For the fans? Yes, brief bragging rights. Yes, world-class players tearing you to bits. But proper highs and lows? Wet Tuesday nights at Ipswich? Month-long arguments over decisions without VAR? Honestly I’d miss more than I’d look forward to.

Selfish and small-minded and unambitious, maybe. But the Prem is basically gash in all but status.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

OP

I was actually thinking this earlier today. There's definitely that kind of deflated but optimistic feel to now and looking beyond to next season. I get where you're coming from with the 1990 feel.

Good times will be back soon. For now I'm going to squeeze into my early 90's home shirt, don my Sheridan bucket hat and smash  THE WILL TO WIN VHS into my tape player and get ready for the fireworks while getting goosebumps at that Hull City home game and Hirsty's goals.

* stands from chair, punches curtain with a fist pump and shouts BARMY ARMY BARMY ARMY at a stranger walking past the house *

• Haha 7

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
7 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

It hurts to see the Blunts get something we’ve been close to getting before us, but it’s a heck of a mixed blessing tbf.

Yes the money is amazing for securing the club financially...in theory. In reality, you have to spank most of it trying and failing to stay up, then jizz the rest on massive  wages for disillusioned half-arsed players the year after.

Boring seasons with little chance of much real joy outside the top 6, even madder prices for pies and kits, makeshift teams of wandering mercenaries cobbled together in a panic who you’re then lumbered with for two to three years...ugh, I always want Wednesday to ‘succeed’ but I don’t half enjoy the Champ. I’d genuinely feel really conflicted about finally ‘making it’ to the ‘promised land’.

Obviously it remains the goal, otherwise why bother with any of it, what’s the motivation? The players want it and understandably so, that’s the big motivation that keeps them fighting. For the fans? Yes, brief bragging rights. Yes, world-class players tearing you to bits. But proper highs and lows? Wet Tuesday nights at Ipswich? Month-long arguments over decisions without VAR? Honestly I’d miss more than I’d look forward to.

Selfish and small-minded and unambitious, maybe. But the Prem is basically gash in all but status.

I had intended on posting something very similar to this. I’d love us to go up. But then I ask myself why? The PL bores the boobies off me now. Almost every team is full of brain dead, soulless mercenaries. Whilst the football is “fast and frenetic”, it has also become seriously robotic and predictable. There are no characters anymore, nothing exciting or out of the ordinary. I particularly can’t bear watching any of the “Top 6”.

I love watching Championship football. Yes, my team is in it, but it can also be an exciting  (though let’s forget about a certain moustached Dutchman...) and unpredictable league.

In summary, can’t wait til we’re promoted next season!

4 minutes ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

I had intended on posting something very similar to this. I’d love us to go up. But then I ask myself why? The PL bores the boobies off me now. Almost every team is full of brain dead, soulless mercenaries. Whilst the football is “fast and frenetic”, it has also become seriously robotic and predictable. There are no characters anymore, nothing exciting or out of the ordinary. I particularly can’t bear watching any of the “Top 6”.

I love watching Championship football. Yes, my team is in it, but it can also be an exciting  (though let’s forget about a certain moustached Dutchman...) and unpredictable league.

Aye, same. We’ve got to keep pushing for it, but it’s like a promotion from line manager to boss at work. You get a better car but all your ex-mates think you’re a chairsniffer, you can’t get trousered at the Christmas do, and you’re the first to get canned if things go south. Ugh. Not all that IMO

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

Right there with you HillsboroughOwlNI.  I'd watch Division 1, if SWFC were in it, probably will be for the 2020-21 season.   I like to think that Wednesday will add some excitement to the otherwise "robotic", and definitely mercenary,  Division 1 football...kind of like a Leicester, a couple of years ago. In any event, I'll keep watching SWFC, be it Division 1, 2, and yes, 3.  You know, I don't even know the "standings" in the 1st Division, don't care, and don't care to know, because I follow (pun intended) SWFC, wherever they are.  

3 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

Most sense I’ve read on here in past few days 

Reyt post 

Guest mkowl

Be a funny one because pre season they will get a lot of attention as will all the promoted clubs, first few weeks of the season it will be new and exciting, then by October Soccer Saturday pundits have you relegated, you are last on MOTD, Wilder will have had 3 meltdowns and 3 match touchline ban before the inevitable sacking in early January.

Yet the purpose of football is to strive to get promoted which they have done compared to our "nice day out". I was angry after Wembley mainly because so few Wednesday fans were angry. If you have pangs of jealousy today perhaps you should look back on Wembley slightly differently now

9 hours ago, WadsleyOwl said:

There’s some right testicles been written on this site in the last 24 hours. 

Arrr you're reyt....

it's "being" 

(apologies, most spelling mistakes don't bother me but this is a major bugbear of mine. Some younger generation folk read it enough and it becomes accepted)