Can we expect the retained list this week?

20 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Good job, he’s crap

No he's not.

Winnall isn't the greatest player but he's hard working and capable. A decent honest pro, maybe not a good fit for a promotion chasing team but fine for mid table or below. Did well at Barnsley.

Having said that Madine did ok and he is crap.

It's all about supply. Pig's managed to get Billy scoring for fun, overlapping centre Half's etc. Madine, Mcgoldrick are by no means great players, simply a system that works. 

We need regular supply and backup. Young players who can cut it and the older one chucked in for the nouce. So simple, yet so hard to get the balance right. Oh, and next to zero injuries helps.

Guest oz_owl
1 hour ago, prowl said:

No he's not.

Winnall isn't the greatest player but he's hard working and capable. A decent honest pro, maybe not a good fit for a promotion chasing team but fine for mid table or below. Did well at Barnsley.

Madine IS crap, and yet Cardiff signed him for 6m last season on the way to promotion (not that he contributed much) and this season he's been picked up by another promoted team (contributed a little more, but not much) who reportedly want to sign him permanently.

I'd put Winnall above Madine in terms of ability, certainly pre-injury.  I think he could do a Paul Williams type job for us, but I'm not sure who he would be best partnering in our current squad.

6 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

I can see Palmer being offered and signing for definate, Westwood if the terms are right

Hooper, Matias, Lee and Boyd will be in the middle depending on what constraints Bruce has for next season but for me, apart from Palmer and Westwood to an extent, i'd ship the rest out completely allowing Bruce to wheel and deal ... fresh blood, fresh impetus, younger, hungry, fitter players able to contribute towards the cause

There is absolutely no room for sentiment now and I think a lot of fans are getting caught up in that ...

Well, SB did say in one of his interviews that "the squad has been together for quite a few years now and needs freshening up." 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Well, SB did say in one of his interviews that "the squad has been together for quite a few years now and needs freshening up." 

The squad is stale 

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 21:49, Lord Snooty said:

Think Bruce said he and Chansiri had delayed their meeting to discuss finances and targets by at least a week. 

Is it possible that even with nothing to play for Bruce is still going to use QPR before making a definitive cut? 

Perhaps  he will. He seems to be very thorough and one thing is for sure he's been more than fair in terms of giving people an opportunity. 

The exception seems to be Winnall who is actually under contract but doesn't appear to be in the plans. 

I suspect his name may have already been circulated to other clubs. 

I think this is about right. There will be discussions with the under 23 players now as there season has finished and then Bruce and Chansiri's discussions about budgets this week will determine who Bruce tries to retain.

So I wouldn't expect an announcement this week would think it would be a week or two after the end of the season once all the players and agents have been informed.

To be fair, players such as Boyd and Mattias have had a new lease of life since Bruce has arrived so it will be interesting to see whether they get a new offer.

We might even be inclined to sell other players who are already under contract.

On the other hand, I'm sure that Mr C and Bruce realise that not renewing deals for the majority of the out of contract players is an opportunity to demonstrate that we are serious about P&S and reduce the wage bill by a considerable amount.

Interesting times.

18 hours ago, prowl said:

No he's not.

DC does not like Winall: he  was shaking his head and saying 'oh no' when he was warming up the other week. 

Source: friend of mine who was sat with him due to an invite after some charity fundraiser. 

5 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

DC does not like Winall: he  was shaking his head and saying 'oh no' when he was warming up the other week. 

Source: friend of mine who was sat with him due to an invite after some charity fundraiser. 

Oohh... he's a gonner then... I'm not being whooshed am I?

retained list, released list, scrap heap list whatever we are calling it will not be released until after QPR is my guess. I think Bruce will have made his mind up but i don't think it will be announced. I think they will need to have time to plan the summer properly to ensure they don't let squad players leave if we have 0 money to sign new players. It might be a case of taking a punt on maybe Hooper or Lee if fit to try and add some experience if the FFP news is not good. Hopefully we have enough wiggle room within FFP to have a clear out and bring in fresh blood. But if not then he may offer more contracts than we think to current players. If he clears out everyone except Westwood and Lee i think that is a good indication that we can get new players. Fingers crossed.

The retained list was announced before the final game last year, hence we were able to give Loovens and Wallace a special send-off.

I would be surprised if SB did the same, however. This will of course disappoint those members of the Almen Abdi Appreciation Society who might consider his leaving the best contribution he has made in two years, hence the appreciation.

Edited by Beauchief Owl
  • Haha 1

We need to be ruthless this summer. We should do everything to get Westwood tied down for a further 2 years. Palmer absolutely deserves his new contract. Historically, not been a fan but he has been our most improved player over the full season and he’s played very well. Abdi, Jones, Pudil, Boyd and Matias should all get released. I expect Hooper will also get released given we have 7 strikers at the club and we have issues with FFP. If we had 4 strikers at the club, I think he would’ve been offered a deal but we can’t guarantee we can find other clubs for Nuhiu, Winnall and Rhodes. Kieran Lee is an interesting one as we are short on midfielders and he won’t be a top earner and it would cost a lot of money to bring in a player of his ilk. I’ll leave that down to the medical team and Bruce’s judgement.