Charity Challenge. Need your help!

Putting this in match day to hopefully gather a bit of support for my latest charity Challenge if that's OK mods? 

As many of you know in 2017 I attempted to cycle the West Highland Way in a day and raised over £1000 with your help. Sadly despite battling torrential rain for 16 1/2 hours I had to retire with hypothermia just 15 miles from the end. 

I'm returning to try again this year in exactly 1 month. This time I'm raising funds for a charity that provides keepsake boxes to parents of stillborn babies in East Yorkshire. 

I would love to raise more and some of you have kindly donated already but any extra would be great. It's a small charity so every penny makes a huge difference. 

Is a really grueling challenge. 96 miles and 12,0000ft of ascent through the Scottish Highlands. Much of it is carrying my bike up steep steps or baking rocks along Loch lomond. Walkers usually take a week to walk it but I'm aiming for 16 hours on the bike. 

The last attempt was easily the toughest thing I have ever done and it hurt me a lot not to make the finish. I'm a lifelong sufferer of depression and is a battle to push through that to try these things. 

Your shplort really does push me on. 

So if anyone can spare the price of a cup of coffee for this I would be extremely grateful and you would be making real difference to those bereaved parents. 

Thanks for reading. 

Brett

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/BrettJohnson

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Owls77 said:

All the best mate. I thought cycling the Lon Las Cymru North Wales to South Wales was tough.

Just out of interest what bike will you be attempting this on, might be one to try.

Will stick you a donation on!

Thanks man, really appreciate that. I'm doing it on a Bird Zero mk1 (hardtail mtb) 

Edited by darklord

Great effort Brett. I've worked long-term with someone who welcomed a stillborn child into their family, and the impact it continues to have on them all a decade later was something I wouldn't otherwise have understood or appreciated. It appears to be a very singular type of tragedy that's incredibly hard to process into something that can ever really make any sense.

It's really impressive and humbling that you're doing stuff like this. Hope you know that (especially when things get bleak from time to time - I know that's not at all how depression works, but FYI you remain a diamond!)

Best of luck and I'll certainly chuck a little bit of dosh at it - would love to be able to do more, but as you say, every little.

Nice one fella. WAWAW!

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, robowl4life said:

Good luck mate! Hopefully the weather will be kinder to you this time around.

Will throw a donation in there.

Thanks! Really appreciate it.

Yeah weather is the big concern. Though even if it rains on the day it hasn't had a year of constant rain like last time. If its looking like really bad weather I will postpone until August

Edited by darklord

On 28/04/2019 at 20:00, darklord said:

Putting this in match day to hopefully gather a bit of support for my latest charity Challenge if that's OK mods? 

As many of you know in 2017 I attempted to cycle the West Highland Way in a day and raised over £1000 with your help. Sadly despite battling torrential rain for 16 1/2 hours I had to retire with hypothermia just 15 miles from the end. 

I'm returning to try again this year in exactly 1 month. This time I'm raising funds for a charity that provides keepsake boxes to parents of stillborn babies in East Yorkshire. 

I would love to raise more and some of you have kindly donated already but any extra would be great. It's a small charity so every penny makes a huge difference. 

Is a really grueling challenge. 96 miles and 12,0000ft of ascent through the Scottish Highlands. Much of it is carrying my bike up steep steps or baking rocks along Loch lomond. Walkers usually take a week to walk it but I'm aiming for 16 hours on the bike. 

The last attempt was easily the toughest thing I have ever done and it hurt me a lot not to make the finish. I'm a lifelong sufferer of depression and is a battle to push through that to try these things. 

Your shplort really does push me on. 

So if anyone can spare the price of a cup of coffee for this I would be extremely grateful and you would be making real difference to those bereaved parents. 

Thanks for reading. 

Brett

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/BrettJohnson

Best of luck Brett, I've donated.

I had a cycle challenge last year 100 mile of closed roads London100 (contextually easy in comparison to your epic challenge).

Fellow Owltalkers were very generous which was hugely appreciated. I hope there are few fellows posters on here who can donate a few quid for a very worthy cause.

Pay day for many tomorrow folks, please donate a few quid if possible.

• Like 2

Its exactly 3 weeks today until I attempt this and I am a long way from reaching my target so if anyone is feeling like they could throw a little into the pot it would be very much appreciated.
Its going to be the toughest thig I ever do so the more I can raise the better for such a great cause.

• Like 1

If you're wondering how much training I am doing for this charity attempt here what I have done this week:

Monday 63.80m ride in cold and wet conditions.

Tuesday 19.16 miles in more cold and rain Wednesday

11.68 miles with more rain!

Thursday 19.17 miles + 17.3m HIIT Friday 19.16m + 17.4m HIIT

Saturday 100 mile ride

Sunday 36.1m Double HIIT

Total of 304 miles ridden.

That's all in addition to work days of hard graft. And next week I do it all again. Mentalyl and physically tired but it's all for a great cause but we'll sort of my target so any donations would be a real boost!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darklord said:

If you're wondering how much training I am doing for this charity attempt here what I have done this week:

Monday 63.80m ride in cold and wet conditions.

Tuesday 19.16 miles in more cold and rain Wednesday

11.68 miles with more rain!

Thursday 19.17 miles + 17.3m HIIT Friday 19.16m + 17.4m HIIT

Saturday 100 mile ride

Sunday 36.1m Double HIIT

Total of 304 miles ridden.

That's all in addition to work days of hard graft. And next week I do it all again. Mentalyl and physically tired but it's all for a great cause but we'll sort of my target so any donations would be a real boost!

Getting some miles in there mate! Remember rest is just as important too.