An indication Westwood is off?

5 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

He's had significant periods of absenteeism with, as I recall, back issues. At 35 early in the new season, that is worth bearing in mind. Overall, it's probably a yes from me. He's been as good as ever since returning. But....

I'd rather have the prospect of him playing 30 games or more for us than for someone else and us having to find someone adequate enough to replicate what he has done most of the time he has been here.

After hearing those quotes from Bruce, I think there's a strong indication that he knows Westwood is off for one last pay deal. 

Doesn't really make any sense to give Dawson and Wildsmith games "to have a look at", unless he knows Westwood isn't going to be here next season. He's not dropped Hector to have a look at Thorniley. Palmer for Baker. He's not even dropped both Fletcher and Hooper to have a look at Winnall! 

But it doesn't surprise me. As good a goalkeeper Westwood is, there's no denying he's one of the best in the division, I've never felt this love he possesses for the club to be genuine. He'll go where the biggest cheque is...and this summer, it'll not be Wednesday. And if he does end up signing for Huddersfield...that'll say it all. 

I hope I'm proved wrong, and I'll happily hold my hands up if he signs on here, and admit I got him wrong. 

If he does leave... Bruce is faced with a tough decision. Stick with Dawson and allow him to develop into the top goalkeeper he could potentially become, or look to replace Westwood with an experienced replacement?

Guest Kagoshimaowl
13 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/latest-owls-news/sheffield-wednesday-chief-steve-bruce-on-joe-wildsmith-and-the-reason-behind-keiren-westwood-s-absence-against-preston-north-end-1-9736139

I’m sure if we were close to agreeing a deal with Westwood he would have been involved yesterday. Bruce has always tried to play his strongest eleven since he’s been here. 

Huge shame as I don’t think Dawson or Wildsmith are anywhere near his level. 

I was thinking exactly the same. We are screwed without him. Neither Dawson or Wildsmith are good enough to be our number 1 yet.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

After hearing those quotes from Bruce, I think there's a strong indication that he knows Westwood is off for one last pay deal. 

Doesn't really make any sense to give Dawson and Wildsmith games "to have a look at", unless he knows Westwood isn't going to be here next season. He's not dropped Hector to have a look at Thorniley. Palmer for Baker. He's not even dropped both Fletcher and Hooper to have a look at Winnall! 

But it doesn't surprise me. As good a goalkeeper Westwood is, there's no denying he's one of the best in the division, I've never felt this love he possesses for the club to be genuine. He'll go where the biggest cheque is...and this summer, it'll not be Wednesday. And if he does end up signing for Huddersfield...that'll say it all. 

I hope I'm proved wrong, and I'll happily hold my hands up if he signs on here, and admit I got him wrong. 

If he does leave... Bruce is faced with a tough decision. Stick with Dawson and allow him to develop into the top goalkeeper he could potentially become, or look to replace Westwood with an experienced replacement?

Please replace if he goes. No way is Dawson good enough 

Do we compete with other clubs interested in Westwood, who can afford to pay £25/30k a week and not impact on their squad re-building, or do we go down the line if bringing in a quality loan from the Premier League with a far less wage contribution?

I'd like to keep Westwood, but I wouldn't be against going down the route United did with their GK situation this season (assuming Bruce doesn't regard Dawson/Wildsmith as no.1) if it means we have money for positions elsewhere.

With Westwoods age if he can secure a 2 to 3 year deal elsewhere with similar money he'd take it im sure. That is if we have to reduce his wages because of ffp. Its a bit of security for him towards the end of his career. 

Not saying this is on the cards for Westwood but no footballer wants to take 1 year deals on reduced wages when they could get injured and see their career end quickly with little security. 

4 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

I did try warning you all. It’s been clear for some time that this would be his final season with us 

Like it was clear he was 3rd choice at the start of this season?

If he goes then he needs to be replaced because his understudies are not fit to fill the role even if we picked them both to play in goal every game. 

13 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

I did try warning you all. It’s been clear for some time that this would be his final season with us 

Aaah yes.....................and if only he had played for the ENTIRE season then we may still have had the play offs to look forward to.

Just put this in the transfer thread but probably more apt in here..

There’s plenty of keepers available to replace Westwood if he decides to leave, he’s obviously a brilliant keeper but it’s not the end of the world if he leaves 

Alex McCarthy from Southampton would be a brilliant replacement

1 hour ago, EcclesallOwl said:

Just put this in the transfer thread but probably more apt in here..

There’s plenty of keepers available to replace Westwood if he decides to leave, he’s obviously a brilliant keeper but it’s not the end of the world if he leaves 

Alex McCarthy from Southampton would be a brilliant replacement

Is he realistic and out of contract.