• Matias
    • Bannan
    • Fletcher
    • Onomah
    • Forestieri
    • Joao
    • Nuhiu
    • Lee

Dawson 4 - Poor communication causing issues all game.

Iorfa 5 - Didn't get at them as much as he should and gave the ball away.  Not a red card.

Lees 4 - Really poor in the air, with the ball and was out-muscled all game.

Hector 8 - Great second half where he dominated their big striker.

Palmer 5 - Had some decent moments but is a liability without having a left foot.

Matias 4 - Marked/pressured out of the game for large parts but did make an impact towards the end.  Good assist.

Pelupessy 5 - Started well but dropped off.  Gives the ball away too much.

Bannan 8 - Great goal, calm on the ball but started quiet.

Onomah 5 - Invisible for large parts but came into it more.  Not up for the fight.

Fessi 7 - Hardly involved until the later stages when he came into it and scored.

Fletcher 6 - Fouled out of the game.  Had to go wide to get on the ball.

Subs:

Nuhiu 9 - Changed the game.  Won the physical battles, great cross for the assist and great goal.  Completely fouled his man to score but Ref was letting that stuff go.

Joao 8 - Should have won it.  Good touch, played with intent and made a good impact.

Lee 7 - Looked good on the ball.

1 hour ago, prowl said:

How can you vote for man of the match if you don't see the game?

Go to the game, vote.

Watch on TV, vote.

Sadly, after more than 60 years of support age has caught up and I can manage only the odd away game now.

Just listening to that abject first half though I could tell Bannan was one of the very few giving his all.

Its a pity a Brucie half time rant was needed to stir up the rest.

Hence my vote, like it or not.

• Like 1

In a box today and the Preston fans around us marvelled at Bannon. 

I thought Lees, Dawson, Onomah & Pelepessey we’re poor throughout. Matias had a poor 1st half, better second. 

Im no great fan of Dave, but he made a difference and once again it seems clear Fessi enjoys playing with him. The team showed great spirit in the second half. 

Edited by onlyonedavidhirst

Dawson - 6 - No fault for goals 1 and 3, but has to take some responsibility in the car crash 2nd goal. Made a great save at 3-1 to keep us in the game.

Iorfa - 6 - Thought he had a more than decent game on the whole, but has to shoulder some blame for the 3rd goal. Got caught following the run of Robinson, allowing Browne the freedom of the right hand side. Thought the red card was harsh. It was clumsy more than dangerous, but you can understand why the (very poor) official reacted hastily with a red card. 

Lees - 4 - Really poor game from the off. Stockley had him on toast. He was rattled, and at fault for the 1st two goals. He's been brilliant of late, but today was pi55 poor. 

Hector - 6 - For the majority of the game, he looked like a Rolls Royce defender. Intercepted so many balls, looked cooler than ever on the ball, and his distribution was fantastic at times. But, has to take some responsibility (along with Lees) for the 1st goal. Stockley drifts in-between the two of them far too easily. 

Palmer - 5 - Poor today. Looked hesitant and wary up against a physical Maguire, and struggled throughout. Aerially he was 2nd best for most of the game. 

Pelupessy - 5 - Preston ran rings round us in that 1st half in midfield, despite us playing with 3 in the middle. As a holding midfielder, Pelupessy doesn't screen well enough...at all. 

Onomah - 5 - I'm yet to see what this kid's strengths are. I'm seeing plenty of weaknesses, but not a lot else. He's soft in the tackle, lacks concentration to track and defend well, passes the ball carelessly...generally seems to coast through games. 

Bannan - 8 - Man of the Match - He was our best player on the ball by a country mile, yet again, today. In the 1st half, most of the positive things involved him, and in the 2nd half, took his goal brilliantly well, delivered several dangerous set pieces and just dictated the play. Assist for Nuhiu's equaliser also. 

Forestieri - 6 - Up until the last 20 minutes or so, he was anonymous. Failed to get into the positions where he causes havoc. Took his goal well, and seemed to spark into life briefly following the goal. 

Matias - 6 - It was a typical Matias performance today. Totally unpredictable. Looks to make things happen, but often tries to do too much or carelessly gives the ball away. That said, had some good moments, and showed great composure and vision to back-heel the ball into Bannan's path for the 1st goal. 

Fletcher - 6 - Was really up against it in the 1st half. Forestieri never got anywhere near him to offer support, and the supply generally was scraps to feed off. Did remarkably well to keep the ball alive for Bannan's goal however. 

Nuhiu - 8 - He likes playing against Preston! Great cameo performance...yet again. Replaced the ineffective Onomah, and turned the game around. Great ball in for Forestier's goal, and showed great strength to get on the end of Bannan's cross for the equaliser. 

Joao - 7 - Looked dangerous when he replaced Fletcher, up against the stretched and tiring Preston back line. Showed some real bits of quality, and so nearly won it late on with a nice volley, cleared off the line. 

Lee - N/A - Nice to see him back, if only briefly. 

Overall...

Like Bruce said, at half time, it looked like a lot of them were on the beach already. Preston didn't play particularly well in the 1st half, but they weren't under any pressure nor were they challenged for any ball. We looked soft, lazy, and uninterested. 

That said, they responded well to Bruce's HT rollicking, and came out and did everything they didn't do in the 1st 45 minutes. They matched Preston's physically, and played positive football, and gave Preston something to think about.

The two subs really turned the game in our favour...in particular Nuhiu. He gave us a focal point, and really made a positive impact on the game. In the end, despite the red card, we can consider ourselves unfortunate not to have won the game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Didn’t watch or listen but here’s what I would guess based on checking the final score

Dawson 5

Iorfa 5

Lees 5

Hector 6

Palmer 6

Pelupessy 4

Bannan 8

Matias 5

Onomah 3

Forestieri 6

Fletcher 5

A 3 for onomah is way too high! He was a disgrace 

I busted my ass getting there 5 mins before ko. At half time I wondered why as it was like chalk and cheese between this first half and the Bristol game.

Second half was great and quite enjoyable even though we couldn’t quite get the winner...but they all put a shift in...eventually.

Barry 8/10 was the best.

Hector 7/10 for his second half perf

Kieran Lee 10/10 for just being there as we could resurrect an old favourite from the stand.

Dawson 5  - not convincing

Palmer 5 - poor today

Hector 7

Lees 5

Iorfa 4 - possibly cost us the opportunity to win.

FF 7

Onomah 4 - never want to see this guy again. 

Pelupessy 6 - did ok

Bannan 8

Matias 5 - Release

Fletcher 7 - worked hard

Nuhiu 9 - MOM

Joao 7

Lee 7

The match emphasised the biggest problem we have had all season. More than likely has cost us a play off spot. Why is it that Lees has average to poor displays when Dawson in the net. The only exception being Bristol city. I cant blame Dawson again and cant for 99 % of the goals we have conceded all season when he been in the net. But the number of saves required from Dawson and the goals we concede are so much more than when Westwood in the net. Westwood has something our defence needs other than just stopping shots. I am struggling to put this entirely down to a difference in CD and KW communication skills. Although I think our defence is very quiet compared to most others. Perhaps the combination of not very vocal set of defenders and CD being quiet is the biggest issue. The stats must be very telling in CD and KW goals conceded. Hopefully Bruce can sort it out as we need 2 good keepers for a promotion.

7 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

The match emphasised the biggest problem we have had all season. More than likely has cost us a play off spot. Why is it that Lees has average to poor displays when Dawson in the net. The only exception being Bristol city. I cant blame Dawson again and cant for 99 % of the goals we have conceded all season when he been in the net. But the number of saves required from Dawson and the goals we concede are so much more than when Westwood in the net. Westwood has something our defence needs other than just stopping shots. I am struggling to put this entirely down to a difference in CD and KW communication skills. Although I think our defence is very quiet compared to most others. Perhaps the combination of not very vocal set of defenders and CD being quiet is the biggest issue. The stats must be very telling in CD and KW goals conceded. Hopefully Bruce can sort it out as we need 2 good keepers for a promotion.

Westwood is never quiet during a game. He is constantly shouting and organising that defence.

Experienced defenders like Hector and Lees respect his reading of the game in a way they could never do with the inexperienced Dawson or Wildsmith.

He gives them some real verbal bollockings at times too but has a very assured presence behind that defence. Although you can’t blame the young keepers for most goals they concede, Westwood just has a way of preventing those situations developing