Carlos’ approach to Play-Offs

5 hours ago, Mrmason69 said:

His tactics against Huddersfield were absolutely brilliant. His plan was to bore the opposition to suicide. Then when the 4th man went we won by default 

Evidence of this marvellous plan was to take off Fletcher when he scored, pretending he was injured. Of course, Fletcher hadn't read the script and wasn't supposed to score

To cap it all he had the one player guaranteed not to score the final penalty, take the penalty. 

Unfortunately Huddersfield also didn't read the script. 

Thankfully this season wr have seen similar tactics against Chelsea and then against Leeds.

It's nice to know that such positively awful tactics and player commitment to the cause is alive and well at the club 

And next season it's guaranteed to be repeated with donkeys like bannan, dobbin, Fletcher, forestieri, hooper (no doubt given a new contract) etc to carry the flag of the overpaid and totally inept (until there's nothing left to play for) 

Sheffield United have more chance of staying up than we have of swapping places. That's how little chance we have of going up. 

Unless Bruce had the courage to totally dump almost all of our dead beats 

And then there's Rhodes. Hes the joker in the pack. If things go too well then hes guaranteed to mess it up. 

That's Cheered me up, no end ! 

:Sid:

We have had worse managers than Carlos but the Hudders 1st leg was the deal breaker.

Playing against a side we had the wood over and with a wet behind the ears keeper......................he set us up like we were Stalybridge Celtic taking on AC Milan!!

I am convinced the fear we showed that day galvanised Huddersfield for the 2nd leg.....even when they were 1-0 down they looked fitter, sharper, more committed and more confident than us.

• Like 1

I'm still bewildered how a sizeable portion of our fanbase still seem to think that Carlos' tenure was a golden era at S6. Yes, he got us to the play-offs in successive seasons, but we payed a high price. He failed both times, his brand of football was becoming increasingly dour, the recruitment was shocking and in his final season he was being found out big time. Plus we're now left with a FFP hangover that may yet hold us back.

13 hours ago, NYowl said:

The main issue I have with Carlos was there was no forward thinking, it was all about winning now and no thought for the future.

The reason we are now right up the creek.

Mourinihio is very similar, no time for young talent like De Bruyne and Lakaku he has to have the finished article to work with.

Kevin Keegan was the "King" of said practice ..

He even disbanded the intermediate squad /reserves whilst at Newcastle I believe?

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, horny owl said:

CC should have been booted out after the Hull embarrassment at Wembley. The signs were there and he proved it against Huddersfield. If Bruce had the money Carlos had to spend we’d be an established premier league outfit now.

I bet we wouldn't.

Villa have had a star studded team for the last 3 seasons and they're still in the championship.

16 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

I bet we wouldn't.

Villa have had a star studded team for the last 3 seasons and they're still in the championship.

All ifs and buts 

But I believe we’d have had a much better chance with Bruce in charge

He certainly beat Carlos in the playoff final

Why chansiri persisted with Carlos after that for as long as he did I’ll never understand.

2 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Jizzed away our best chance for the premier league.

Risked players careers by rushing them back 

Cheeky chappy persona continues to fool some.

Really? Have you not paid any attention to our injury record since Carlos?

You know it’s up to our physios to declare players fit?

So many people talking total nonsense when they don’t have a clue.

4 hours ago, Carbone said:

Really? Have you not paid any attention to our injury record since Carlos?

You know it’s up to our physios to declare players fit?

So many people talking total nonsense when they don’t have a clue.

Allegedly under pressure from the manager.

various reports from inside the club since he left for his dream job have said that. 

Bruce is easing players back from injuries and none of the have had subsequent connected relapses.

Carlos was great first season. Everything clicked. But he's a short term bloke incapable of developing a team long term as was shown.

There is a reason why in his many management roles, he hasn't lasted longer than what is it, 12 months apart from us.

Should have gone after the huddersfield game.

Boring bringing him up though now. He'd gone. Same as Jos. Some people just cannot let sleeping dogs lie ...

Yawn

I remember when Chansiri first came in he said he wanted to get us up in 2 seasons. 

Perhaps he appointed Carlos knowing he had a history of short term success with a view to getting us up asap and cashing in? 

22 hours ago, horny owl said:

All ifs and buts 

Why chansiri persisted with Carlos after that for as long as he did I’ll never understand.

Because he’s a fiercly loyal bloke.

23 hours ago, horny owl said:

All ifs and buts 

Yep. Well, on what I've seen I prefer Bruce too.

But Bruce was fielding a simply better and certainly far more expensively assembled team that day. We didn't do ourselves justice; but even at our best (perhaps the  home win v Cardiff where we clinched the play off place) we were likely to lose to that Hull team.

Relitigating past managerships is in the end a bit tiresome, and we'll be on to Megson next...

I'd certainly agree that the Huddersfield away leg was a huge strategic mistake. Equally, I'd perhaps take a revisionist view: that he probably got too much credit for the first season (the side was still very much a work in progress and not yet balanced; and too little for the second (unless you have a huge relative budget, a fourth place finish is no easy thing)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Yep. Well, on what I've seen I prefer Bruce too.

But Bruce was fielding a simply better and certainly far more expensively assembled team that day. We didn't do ourselves justice; but even at our best (perhaps the  home win v Cardiff where we clinched the play off place) we were likely to lose to that Hull team.

Relitigating past managerships is in the end a bit tiresome, and we'll be on to Megson next...

I'd certainly agree that the Huddersfield away leg was a huge strategic mistake. Equally, I'd perhaps take a revisionist view: that he probably got too much credit for the first season (the side was still very much a work in progress and not yet balanced; and too little for the second (unless you have a huge relative budget, a fourth place finish is no easy thing)

At the time most Wednesday fans were happy with the result at Huddersfield, it was the same scenario against Brighton draw away and get them back at Hillsborough. 

Isn't it the classic way to play two-legged games?