Carlos’ approach to Play-Offs

23 minutes ago, Andrew_Owl said:

Yayy another Carlos bashing thread, he's only been gone for around a year and a half. Westwood getting injured in the warm up before the Norwich game was his fault you know.

I started the thread.

Ignore my feeble attempt at humour and enjoy the vid. Funniest thing I’ve seen in ages. When the 15 goalies come into view it’s just hilarious. 

43 minutes ago, prowl said:

That video is brilliant. It would be great if our players could do something similar at Owls in the Park.

Loads of boys and girls would have great fun. You could even have different groups of kids each playing for 10 or 15 minutes  to get even more involved.

It would be great PR and I'm sure the players would love it. Abdi should be gone by then so there's no chance he'd get injured.

The club are on the case. The stumbling block is the insurance cost. The insurers want £5,000 to insure the kids, or £500,000 if Hutch plays. 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

2nd season we had a team good enough to challenge Newcastle and Brighton and he fizzed that up.

Then he bottled our best chance if getting promoted.

Huddersfield then Reading for a spot in the Prem. fizz me stuff of dreams that. Never be as easy as that ever again.

Just don’t see this at all we were never on Newcastle and Brighton’s level , how finishing 4th is fizzing it up is beyond me , Huddersfield was a nightmare I agree .

28 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I started the thread.

Ignore my feeble attempt at humour and enjoy the vid. Funniest thing I’ve seen in ages. When the 15 goalies come into view it’s just hilarious. 

I thought they might have lowered the goals for the kids a bit, FFS. lol 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Just don’t see this at all we were never on Newcastle and Brighton’s level , how finishing 4th is fizzing it up is beyond me , Huddersfield was a nightmare I agree .

Only finished fourth cos Huddersfield rested for final 3 matches and Leeds fizzed it up themselves. Should have been 6th.

We had a side just as good as the top 2, beat Newcastle home and away remember and should have been Brighton away but for a missed penalty, then a complete lack of discipline from everyone. Always comes down to missed penalties, doesn't it.

Guest LondonOwl313
28 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Only finished fourth cos Huddersfield rested for final 3 matches and Leeds fizzed it up themselves. Should have been 6th.

We had a side just as good as the top 2, beat Newcastle home and away remember and should have been Brighton away but for a missed penalty, then a complete lack of discipline from everyone. Always comes down to missed penalties, doesn't it.

We weren’t on Newcastle or Brighton’s level... over a full season they were well clear of us, and consistency tends to go for the stronger teams. Wednesday have some good players and can give those sides a game, as we did in 2017/18, but we were short of that level.

Both of them are still in the prem and have a fair few of their promotion winning team still in the squad, and still playing regularly. If our players are as good, why haven’t any of them left to play for premiership teams? It’s because they don’t quite have the consistency required, or the physical attributes/fitness in some cases.

We’re a good side at this level, but 4th was about right for us that season. Never looked like challenging the top 2. And that would have been the case whoever was manager unless additional players were added. Carlos deserves blame for the playoffs, and possibly the recruitment policy (we aren’t sure he definitely signed them all), but him leading us to 6th and 4th was an achievement not a failure

38 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Yes I was there for that Brighton game and I agree we should have won that day . We were lacking a couple of players to have a serious shout at the autos for me .

1 hour ago, Mrs Blenkinsops shed said:

While you're on mate

Can you tell her my porridge was a bit lumpy this morning.

WTF:

She's just put double creases in your Farahs again

And that Gabbicci Cardy with the Leather trim of yours is now ruined , she's put it on a 90°c Cotton wash ..

She's bloody useless I tell thee ...

Just managed to save your Star jumper from the same fate ......lol

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Dan™ said:

Nah, course not. We just fluked our way to the two best seasons we've had in 20 years, consecutively.

He had the best chance of the last 20yrs and ballsed it up if Bruce had have been in charge those 2 seasons we'd have got in the Premier league 

His tactics against Huddersfield were absolutely brilliant. His plan was to bore the opposition to suicide. Then when the 4th man went we won by default 

Evidence of this marvellous plan was to take off Fletcher when he scored, pretending he was injured. Of course, Fletcher hadn't read the script and wasn't supposed to score

To cap it all he had the one player guaranteed not to score the final penalty, take the penalty. 

Unfortunately Huddersfield also didn't read the script. 

Thankfully this season wr have seen similar tactics against Chelsea and then against Leeds.

It's nice to know that such positively awful tactics and player commitment to the cause is alive and well at the club 

And next season it's guaranteed to be repeated with donkeys like bannan, dobbin, Fletcher, forestieri, hooper (no doubt given a new contract) etc to carry the flag of the overpaid and totally inept (until there's nothing left to play for) 

Sheffield United have more chance of staying up than we have of swapping places. That's how little chance we have of going up. 

Unless Bruce had the courage to totally dump almost all of our dead beats 

And then there's Rhodes. Hes the joker in the pack. If things go too well then hes guaranteed to mess it up. 

• Haha 1

The main issue I have with Carlos was there was no forward thinking, it was all about winning now and no thought for the future.

The reason we are now right up the creek.

Mourinihio is very similar, no time for young talent like De Bruyne and Lakaku he has to have the finished article to work with.

3 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

The average points for 6th place in the Championship is around 74. We got 81. We also made wholesale changes for the final game which could have seen us pick up 3 more, but the league table doesn't lie.

I question the tactics in both legs of the Huddersfield game but no point belittling the 8 points we got that season, it may not have been as good to watch as the previous season at times but it was effective and no way was it as negative as the Huddersfield games which is why the approach was so strange to fathom.

Newcastle and Brighton were more experienced and more balanced in terms of squads than us, we had a very good 13-14 players but didn't have adequate cover for all positions like they had.

Half the team in both games against Huddersfield were unfit.

Injured or coming back from injury but not ready.

They shouldn’t have been on the pitch yet Carlos asked them to play 2 high tempo games in 3 days.

Once they were there was no way we could take Huddersfield on in an attacking sense we just had to set up to defend and save what legs we had.

The problem was the team he picked, not the tactics.