Mysterious case of Urby Emanuelson

This is why the local press is so frustrating. I completely get that an independent press matters when you have governments sliding to authoritarianism, and sick filth like the anti-vaxxers able to manipulate social media to spread their cretinism. But it would be nice if it was less useless on these humbler matters.

Howson could for example submit questions:

• who took the decision to sign Urby? Specifically, did [insert name of one particular advisor] advise here? Are you satisfied that if involved [that person] received no commission as a result of the deal
  • was Urby given a medical? What did it show?
  • Was Urby unift on arrival? If so, was this known; what assumptions were made about when he would become fit?
  • For how much of the season if any was Urby injured? What was the nature and cause of those injuries.
  • There are rumours that he was on £xxk. is that true? If not, what is the correct figure? How were the rewards structured?
  • If Urby was fit and uninjured, why was he not played? 
  • what assessment has the club made of the success of this signing?

Etc. A bit more tightly drawn up. Ideally submitted in writing for oral interview, which allows supps; but just written responses will do. With no comment responses noted.

And the same type of questioning, in spades, for Abdi, where Howson should be getting in the face of the club every single week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

I've always assumed it was one of those murky agency signings, where the player arrives as a favour to someone or to gain access to other players. Weird stuff goes on like this in the background, we might not have even been paying his wages.

you may not remember whitechapel but a wannabe reporter 'matt' somebody sorry can't remember his name  said just after signing urby that it was a doyen deal and he would not actually ever play for us  well he was wrong he came on as a cameo last match almost as if to validate whatever shenanigans were played out 

when i think of the wasted cash spent on him, abdi, melo, bus, some well hung dutch kid and prob some i forgot -  also the players  out through injury but no doubt picking up full wage it makes you weep at the waste 

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

he plays in the dutch league ,we have had endless dutch players over the years and nearly all failures . van aken is a worse signing than urby , 4million and he must be on decent money ,2 years of wasted wages .don't buy dutch again 

Urby was a good player, just never got used. 

I bet he was signed by the powers above and Carlos didn't want or ask for him. 

Think he played the stubborn card by just never playing him on purpose. Fair play to him if that is the case

Edited by poite

7 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

that's a maybe but he was 1 of many many signings what carlos  Doyen made what made no sense . dutch players in general don't like playing in the championship they find it too physical. 

35 minutes ago, steelowl said:

you may not remember whitechapel but a wannabe reporter 'matt' somebody sorry can't remember his name  said just after signing urby that it was a doyen deal and he would not actually ever play for us  well he was wrong he came on as a cameo last match almost as if to validate whatever shenanigans were played out 

when i think of the wasted cash spent on him, abdi, melo, bus, some well hung dutch kid and prob some i forgot -  also the players  out through injury but no doubt picking up full wage it makes you weep at the waste 

Bit harsh to include Bus into this

He was a Stuart Gray signing that was highly rated in Romania who many were liking to the Romanian that played for West Ham (radicoiou or something like that). 

It never worked out for him here although It didn't help that he played on a shocking pitch

That miss at Newcastle takes some doing! 

22 minutes ago, katie melua said:

He was a Stuart Gray signing that was highly rated in Romania who many were liking to the Romanian that played for West Ham (radicoiou or something like that). 

It never worked out for him here although It didn't help that he played on a shocking pitch

Bus was most certainly not a Stuart Gray signing. From the man himself that information. 

1 hour ago, steelowl said:

Yeah I think I know who you mean, that Matt Brown was it? I do think the signing will have had something to do with the Doyen stuff though, even if he did make a cameo appearance.

There's some really interesting stuff on footballleaks around all this sort of stuff, we very nearly ended up with Dan Petrescu as manager before Carlos was put forward. 

1 minute ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Yeah I think I know who you mean, that Matt Brown was it? I do think the signing will have had something to do with the Doyen stuff though, even if he did make a cameo appearance.

There's some really interesting stuff on footballleaks around all this sort of stuff, we very nearly ended up with Dan Petrescu as manager before Carlos was put forward. 

yep i know it was put on here and removed by somebody who didn't want that outfit being discussed or that brand of stuffing character 

also going back a bit if you look at the book by a football agent MIlan was allegedly involved in trying to sell us to some gangster types pre the  'mammadov sale'

1 hour ago, katie melua said:

Lettuce never forget Raddiccio 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Miffed said:

Remember when he finally made his appearance on the final day of the season and every time he touched the ball it was met by cheers from around the stadium.

Wonder how much he actually cost us per kick of the ball.

Definitely a classic moment when he came on that day. 

11 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Sedloski went on to have a decent career though as well didn't he

Who was that right back as well. Juan Cobian? Played in a handful of games and looked actually very good .. left us and disappeared!

Sometimes i think Urby was a deal to help launder money!

Looked Sedloski up. Done well. 100 caps for his country and played until he was 37. Played in Austria, Turkey and Japan and now a manager.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goce_Sedloski

13 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Why should he just walk away from what he's owed though? 

He wanted to play footy and they stopped him.

Similar situation happened here with Westy it seems.

Did you watch the series and read the reports/watch interviews?

He flat out refused to play, and ran down his contract just because he knew he couldn't get a big contract anywhere else. 

They asked him to sign for another club or risk going bankrupt and he refused.

If he was playing everyweek and putting a shift in, you'd understand. But he wasn't.

Greedy and lazy.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/906960/Sunderland-Jack-Rodwell-Chris-Coleman-Play-EFL-Championship

"speaking at a press conference this morning, Coleman said: “Jack doesn’t want to play for Sunderland. He’s told me that, he’s told us that."

15 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

Did you watch the series and read the reports/watch interviews?

He flat out refused to play, and ran down his contract just because he knew he couldn't get a big contract anywhere else. 

They asked him to sign for another club or risk going bankrupt and he refused.

If he was playing everyweek and putting a shift in, you'd understand. But he wasn't.

Greedy and lazy.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/906960/Sunderland-Jack-Rodwell-Chris-Coleman-Play-EFL-Championship

"speaking at a press conference this morning, Coleman said: “Jack doesn’t want to play for Sunderland. He’s told me that, he’s told us that."

Should be able to sue him if thats the case