U18s | v Ipswich (Hillsborough)

32 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That’s interesting that we believe we have enough quality moving up from the U16 group. As no info is ever published from that particular age group, only those involved, will be aware of the talent Didn’t Grant, Render and Dawodu also come from outside?

Grant was signed from Shamrock Rovers and Dawodu from Arsenal. Not sure about Render, but think he was promoted from our U-16's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

I thought that lad was earning some good reviews?

He was and spoke to some one about why he had not been offered terms when Gant, Shaw, Dawodu and rice were offered contracts. I thought it was because he was playing hard to get. The person told me they were looking at his scope for development/improvement. He is a small stocky lad and will probably remain that way I assume they think he will find next stage tough going.  I am not sure how much pace he has, (he is clearly not slow) perhaps they want real quick players going forward.

When O'Brien got injured his goal scoring exploits dried up and we have not been as prolific since. Sometimes its not the guy getting the goals who is reason for success.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Does anyone know anything about a reported U19s defeat at Huddersfield yesterday? Was it just a friendly arranged to look at trialists? Can’t find any mention of the Owls team, but certainly the terriers, took the opportunity to run the rule over several trialists 

The lad Michael Cunningham from Dundee was coming to Wednesday for trial yesterday. I presume he played in the game. like others you can only assume our team was made up of the likes of West, Hunt, Borukov, and trialists. Think only a couple of u/18s not involved today.(Oliver and Cox). Most of of the players we have are older than 19 so would be interesting to find out team. Wednesday have posted no information about this which is not unusual.

53 minutes ago, Quist said:

He was and spoke to some one about why he had not been offered terms when Gant, Shaw, Dawodu and rice were offered contracts. I thought it was because he was playing hard to get. The person told me they were looking at his scope for development/improvement. He is a small stocky lad and will probably remain that way I assume they think he will find next stage tough going.  I am not sure how much pace he has, (he is clearly not slow) perhaps they want real quick players going forward.

When O'Brien got injured his goal scoring exploits dried up and we have not been as prolific since. Sometimes its not the guy getting the goals who is reason for success.

Probably go on to me the next Messi when he leaves us! :ghoulguy:

Must be hard to judge who will make it though even at this relatively late stage in development. A mate of mine has been watching dem blades youth teams for years and a few years ago used to rave about Diego Girolamo going on to be a multi-million pound player. He picked up a couple of injuries which halted his progress significantly and ended up playing a few games for Chesterfield and has recently been on Macclesfield's books.

17 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Must be hard to judge who will make it though even at this relatively late stage in development. A mate of mine has been watching dem blades youth teams for years and a few years ago used to rave about Diego Girolamo going on to be a multi-million pound player. He picked up a couple of injuries which halted his progress significantly and ended up playing a few games for Chesterfield and has recently been on Macclesfield's books.

The phrase used was they were currently assessing his scope for improvement. Nothing more was said, I was expecting something like talks are ongoing about his contract.

it was my comments about small size or possible lack of real speed. I know he is a busy player from comments about him and can finish, he has not made u/23 team whilst others have so I suppose that was indication things were not quite as they seemed. Especially when U/23s were finding it difficult scoring and he is a centre forward. Him making guardian list may not have helped either, with application to game. you have to feel for lad if only one not to get a contract.

12 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

7 out of 8 getting pro deals is a great ratio.  Best in a while.  12 second years last year and 6 out of them got pro contracts including the departed Lonchar.

What a lot of people don't take into account is that more players get deals simply because we have to ensure we can field an u23 team

And that is the dichotomy - players are retained because we have commitments to play matches and not necessarily because we (or any club) sees potential first team players

The main thing having a mandatory u23 team has done has been to move the attrition rate from 18 year olds to 19 year olds

It's why the biggest clubs such as Spurs and Man U have railed against the EPPP - because it is hopelessly discredited and based on hugely flawed research

19 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Diego Girolamo now plays for Buxton. They finished 5th so he has the play offs to look forward too

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

I understand the final is at Hillsborough next Friday, but not sure of the time. Anyone know exactly when kick-off is scheduled?

I'd imagine it'd be 7pm however I'm not sure. I've tried looking for an exact time but found nothing. 

• Thanks 1

Went to this yesterday, only the second time I have managed to see them this year,  and whilst I cant comment on the lads form over the length of the season here`s what I thought yesterday.

Render - Looked pretty sound all game

Dawodu - Very impressive going forward with the ball at his feet, not quite so good defensively

Thompson - Small for a centre back but looked composed throughout

Rice - Has obvious potential and is one we should be looking to promote to the U23,s next season, strong aggressive leader type with a good eye for a pass, very impressive.

Ellery - Strong lad , bit rash at times

Shaw - Physically strong and a good engine, although his distribution was off yesterday , more seasoned watchers might be able to tell me if this was unusual for him

Grant - Another one with obvious potential, good feet and confident , would like to see him get involved and grab the game a bit more though

Waldock - The one member of the midfield three who I hadn`t heard much of, but he was probably the pick for me yesterday. Holding midfielder who keeps things ticking and the lad certainly likes a tackle

Hagan - Hopefully this was just an off day for the lad as he offered very little

Vassolo + Farmer - Typical wingers who blew hot and cold, Farmer the better of the two yesterday

Hammoud - Looked lively when he came on

Overrall……………..not the greatest game in difficult conditions but a win was deserved and the lads never stopped trying to play....MOM would be between Rice and Waldock , who incidentally was marking the most naturally gifted player on the pitch IMHO...……...their no. 10 Armando Dobra ?...………..c,mon Armando you know it`s better up north.

What do you reckon John O, Brien am I on the money , or wide of the mark ? ?

• Thanks 1

Just now, sheriwozgod said:

Went to this yesterday, only the second time I have managed to see them this year,  and whilst I cant comment on the lads form over the length of the season here`s what I thought yesterday.

Dawodu - Very impressive going forward with the ball at his feet, not quite so good defensively

Rice - Has obvious potential and is one we should be looking to promote to the U23,s next season, strong aggressive leader type with a good eye for a pass, very impressive.

Shaw - Physically strong and a good engine, although his distribution was off yesterday , more seasoned watchers might be able to tell me if this was unusual for him

Grant - Another one with obvious potential, good feet and confident , would like to see him get involved and grab the game a bit more though

Waldock - The one member of the midfield three who I hadn`t heard much of, but he was probably the pick for me yesterday. Holding midfielder who keeps things ticking and the lad certainly likes a tackle

Hagan - Hopefully this was just an off day for the lad as he offered very little

Vassolo + Farmer - Typical wingers who blew hot and cold, Farmer the better of the two yesterday

Overrall……………..not the greatest game in difficult conditions but a win was deserved and the lads never stopped trying to play....MOM would be between Rice and Waldock , who incidentally was marking the most naturally gifted player on the pitch IMHO...……...their no. 10 Armando Dobra ?...………..c,mon Armando you know it`s better up north.

You are bang on the money with your assessment Sheri. Yesterday was all about getting to the final on Friday evening. That Hillsborough pitch is big and i would like to think the club will have the team training on it this coming week so the players can work out their margins.

1 hour ago, sheriwozgod said:

Agree with most of this. My MOM Dawodu.

Dobra made two bad tackles early on and on another day could have seen red not yellow. 

On 27/04/2019 at 13:21, Quist said:

The lad Michael Cunningham from Dundee was coming to Wednesday for trial yesterday. I presume he played in the game. like others you can only assume our team was made up of the likes of West, Hunt, Borukov, and trialists. Think only a couple of u/18s not involved today.(Oliver and Cox). Most of of the players we have are older than 19 so would be interesting to find out team. Wednesday have posted no information about this which is not unusual.

Luke Cox has not played all season as far as I know.  Has been injured or just not selected?  Never even noticed him as a sub.Unusual for a first year not to play at all in their initial season. Normallt the one who would play the least would be keeper who tends to be second choice in jis first year.  Luke Jackson always been on the bench.  Think he has come on once.

1 hour ago, Etchesketch said:

Luke Cox has not played all season as far as I know.  Has been injured or just not selected?  Never even noticed him as a sub.Unusual for a first year not to play at all in their initial season. Normallt the one who would play the least would be keeper who tends to be second choice in jis first year.  Luke Jackson always been on the bench.  Think he has come on once.

Cox has been out injured im sure 

• Like 1

On 27/04/2019 at 10:57, Lord Snooty said:

I thought that lad was earning some good reviews?

He was in the 1st half of the season, but for all the good reviews he gets, its his coaches that he must impress. For me I'm a little surprised by their decision because yesterday and last week against the piggies, we looked better going forward when he came on and Hagan moved to the wing

• Thanks 1