Jump to content

U18s | v Ipswich (Hillsborough)


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

It's a game of opinions and for me he fell well short but I'm really impressed with our academy it's made great strides in the last 5-years and we have some tremendous prospects I look forward to watching to see how far they can go

It’s going to be some season for the 18s and 23s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, John O'Brien said:

It’s going to be some season for the 18s and 23s.

Yes it is its pleasure to watch our youth and knowing there in safe hands with the quality of our coaching team 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not heard anything about Josh Render's future. Wasn't mentioned when some of the others signed pro at the end of last year. Wallis and McCulloch possibly will be leaving so we will need a keeper for the U23s as Dawson or Wildsmith rarely play if at all in Dawson's case. I was surprised when Hammond wasn't one of those to be offered a deal before Christmas because he was flying.Perhaps the writing was on the wall then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Not heard anything about Josh Render's future. Wasn't mentioned when some of the others signed pro at the end of last year. Wallis and McCulloch possibly will be leaving so we will need a keeper for the U23s as Dawson or Wildsmith rarely play if at all in Dawson's case. I was surprised when Hammond wasn't one of those to be offered a deal before Christmas because he was flying.Perhaps the writing was on the wall then. 

Yes, looking at who’s moving up, and those likely to be retained, we will need at least one keeper, a centre back, a left back and maybe a few further forward. Really, Lee, Kirby, Stubbs and maybe Borukov, should go out on loan

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Not heard anything about Josh Render's future. Wasn't mentioned when some of the others signed pro at the end of last year. Wallis and McCulloch possibly will be leaving so we will need a keeper for the U23s as Dawson or Wildsmith rarely play if at all in Dawson's case. I was surprised when Hammond wasn't one of those to be offered a deal before Christmas because he was flying.Perhaps the writing was on the wall then. 

all the u18s have been offered deals for next season  except Eyad

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know anything about a reported U19s defeat at Huddersfield yesterday? Was it just a friendly arranged to look at trialists? Can’t find any mention of the Owls team, but certainly the terriers, took the opportunity to run the rule over several trialists 

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t imagine who’d be playing for us, with the U18s having such a big game today Seems a bit odd

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Can’t imagine who’d be playing for us, with the U18s having such a big game today Seems a bit odd

I'd have thought it would be the first year pros like Hunt,West,Brennan,Borukov,Samba and perhaps 1st year scholars not involved today.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Etchesketch said:

I'd have thought it would be the first year pros like Hunt,West,Brennan,Borukov,Samba and perhaps 1st year scholars not involved today.

Am I right in thinking there is no U19 competition?

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, gavlad said:

all the u18s have been offered deals for next season  except Eyad

It seems extremely harsh that he is the only one to miss out but that's the realities of football.Just had a chuckle reading the article he is in last year where he is deemed one of the top 60 prospects in World Football!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gurujuan said:

Am I right in thinking there is no U19 competition?

Correct. Not sure if they have friendlies so those too old for the 18s but not getting game time for the 23s can play. Someone like Borukov for example has only started about 10 games all season.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

It seems extremely harsh that he is the only one to miss out but that's the realities of football.Just had a chuckle reading the article he is in last year where he is deemed one of the top 60 prospects in World Football!

Yes, from an article in The Guardian no less, that’s either some drop off, or Preston might have got themselves one of the bargains of the season

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, looking at who’s moving up, and those likely to be retained, we will need at least one keeper, a centre back, a left back and maybe a few further forward. Really, Lee, Kirby, Stubbs and maybe Borukov, should go out on loan

Can't believe Jack Stobbs is still at the club for another year.  Made his debut under Stuart Gray years ago and I think he has started one game since!

Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone can get hold of yesterday’s team sheet, I’d be very interested to see the line up. A friend told me some time ago, that one of the Oxford City lads was having a trial with us. In the Huddersfield report, it was an Oxford City player who scored the winner for them Not sure whether or not it was the same lad who was supposedly coming to us

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If anyone can get hold of yesterday’s team sheet, I’d be very interested to see the line up. A friend told me some time ago, that one of the Oxford City lads was having a trial with us. In the Huddersfield report, it was an Oxford City player who scored the winner for them Not sure whether or not it was the same lad who was supposedly coming to us

I will ask later mate and get back to you 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Shame about Hammoud, maybe there’s been a falling out One thing that has surprised me, is the lack of trialists involved in the development games It’s common practice for sides to include several trialists at this time of the year, and we e always done it. Looking at the U23 squad, there will be at least half a dozen places to fill next season, we’ll need a keeper, a left back, a couple of centre backs, and at least a couple of attacking players. 

Don’t know about the U18s, but I would imagine they will also need to recruit from outside. 

 

Don’t think the 18’s will recruit from outside.

 

Signed O’Brien last season from Corby. Brought in a few, notably Hagan that had trials with the U16’s and signed two year scholarships. Around 10 current first year scholars will still be with the U18’s next season. Club have offered one U16 a scholarship from outside. From Derby I think. Rest of scholars 8 or 9 are all local lads from the U16’s team. Already suggests a squad of 19 or 20 for next season. They’ll not want work with more players than that. Have to say, the current 2nd year scholars who have been offered pro’s are an exceptional group.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, baggy the owl said:

 

Don’t think the 18’s will recruit from outside.

 

Signed O’Brien last season from Corby. Brought in a few, notably Hagan that had trials with the U16’s and signed two year scholarships. Around 10 current first year scholars will still be with the U18’s next season. Club have offered one U16 a scholarship from outside. From Derby I think. Rest of scholars 8 or 9 are all local lads from the U16’s team. Already suggests a squad of 19 or 20 for next season. They’ll not want work with more players than that. Have to say, the current 2nd year scholars who have been offered pro’s are an exceptional group.

 

 

7 out of 8 getting pro deals is a great ratio.  Best in a while.  12 second years last year and 6 out of them got pro contracts including the departed Lonchar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, baggy the owl said:

 

Don’t think the 18’s will recruit from outside.

 

Signed O’Brien last season from Corby. Brought in a few, notably Hagan that had trials with the U16’s and signed two year scholarships. Around 10 current first year scholars will still be with the U18’s next season. Club have offered one U16 a scholarship from outside. From Derby I think. Rest of scholars 8 or 9 are all local lads from the U16’s team. Already suggests a squad of 19 or 20 for next season. They’ll not want work with more players than that. Have to say, the current 2nd year scholars who have been offered pro’s are an exceptional group.

 

 

That’s interesting that we believe we have enough quality moving up from the U16 group. As no info is ever published from that particular age group, only those involved, will be aware of the talent Didn’t Grant, Render and Dawodu also come from outside?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...