Adam Reach

5 minutes ago, Minton said:

Third in the league assists table in 17/18, joint 17th this season. The only man with more assists for us this season is Bannan, who has 10 assists. 

Unbelievable that some fans want both of them gone :ghoulguy:

Just to reiterate, my OP was a question about form and observation that he doesn't seem to produce when surrounded by the talented players. Which is strange.

Look at these stats. I'm classing the Swansea Game as the last game before the big boys came back. (Fessi came back the following game)

So pre Swansea, these are his stats:

Played: 35

Scored: 9
Assists: 5

Post Swansea, Fessi is back, Bannan back to full fitness, Hooper is back, and we get a solid partnership of Hutch and Bannan.

Played:10

Goals: 0

Assists: 2

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Really??

Would love to know who we are signing that would mean Reach ain't getting in the team.

9 goals 7 assists pick players of that quality up every day of the week. Penguin will return with at least 5 replacements. Then in the real world as these goals dry up and we make less chances people start to realise Reach was actually quality.

Edited by ZicoSterland2
  • Like 1

Good player at this level technically. 

Fantastic shot, good touch and technique. 

Bit like joao for me though, he dosent posses the mental toughness, aggression or will to be a winner you need to succeed at the level that he should skill wise be capable. 

As someone else points out, he goes missing or into his shell when surrounded by the better players, but when he's FORCED into the driving seat, so to speak seems to step up. 

We need to see if Bruce can get that desire and will to win out of him on a regular basis, but if a good bid comes in I think Bruce will cash in and look for a cheaper more rounded option a bit more athletic, quicker and more bite. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Hooper said:

It's great that we have so many 'good' players fit and available for selection now.

But has anyone else noticed that Reach goes into a shell when he's playing with the better players.

He seems to excel when we are down to the bare bones, scores worldies, takes the ball, shoots on site and provides assists.

But whenever we field a close to full strength team he seems to get lost, and starts doing these straight line runs that result in him charging towards the corner flag on his left foot.

I can't work out if its a blessing, that when we're at full strength, Reach isn't a stand out player. Or if it's a sign that he's not quite on the wave length of the better players (Fessi, Hooper, Bannan, Fletcher etc) and maybe he could be the player to make way? - Get 8/9 million for him and re-invest?

Thoughts?

He has a different role to play when the so called better players like Bannan are absent, playing either as a central midfielder or occasionally even as a striker.

As a left footed right winger lacking that extra yard of pace he often has to check back and centre with his left foot.

This gives opponents an extra couple of seconds to adjust their defensive line. Playing him on the right has only one advantage.  It allows him to cut inside to unleash one of his powerful shots. This worked well until every defender in the Championship saw his ‘worldies’ early in the season and devised tactics to stop him.

My opinion for what it’s worth is to put him back to left side unless we can keep hold of Aarons. 

Being the right age and with a reasonable transfer value, there is of course a different solution.

We’ll probably have to sell someone in the summer. I think Reach and Bannan will attract offers and Forrestieri’s goal and performance at Norwich will have reminded teams what he’s capable of. I actually could see Norwich coming in for him TBH. I also expect Fletcher to attract interest and after the season he’s had I wouldn’t be surprised.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

3 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Who would bid 8 million. 

Norwich may decide to keep Rhodes, could they take a gamble on FF? Would they snatch Hector? 

Pigs, could go for Hector. 

Villa, if promoted would likely be in for Reach and Hector. 

So we need Villa promoted, to be clear of FFP

Did you daydream that lot or what ?

2 hours ago, s6 owl said:

He’s just not as good as people like to think.

He is far better than some people chose to think, and for those that miss the subtleties of what a very good player is;- he justifiably won every one of the player of the year awards last season, has been having his own goal of the season competition this season, is yet again our most played player, despite carrying not one, but two injuries for several weeks now and has been shown to be one of our best players again across the the full board of statistics which support what most of us already knows, he has been our one true star player for two seasons in a row now and would be a huge miss if we had to sell him. 

I can only imagine what he would be like if he was allowed to play more games in his preferred left wing position, but unfortunately he has had to fill in for players in other positions and on the opposite side of the pitch, because he is still better than them, even when he is miles away from being fully fit!

For me, he is our most consistent star player and looks every inch a candidate for the captains armband if ever Tom Lees is missing.

Keep up the great work Adam.

3 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

He is far better than some people chose to think, and for those that miss the subtleties of what a very good player is;- he justifiably won every one of the player of the year awards last season, has been having his own goal of the season competition this season, is yet again our most played player, despite carrying not one, but two injuries for several weeks now and has been shown to be one of our best players again across the the full board of statistics which support what most of us already knows, he has been our one true star player for two seasons in a row now and would be a huge miss if we had to sell him. 

I can only imagine what he would be like if he was allowed to play more games in his preferred left wing position, but unfortunately he has had to fill in for players in other positions and on the opposite side of the pitch, because he is still better than them, even when he is miles away from being fully fit!

For me, he is our most consistent star player and looks every inch a candidate for the captains armband if ever Tom Lees is missing.

Keep up the great work Adam.

Out of contract next summer I believe? 

After Hector, a new contract for Reach has to be a priority. If not, then we really could do with cashing in this summer before he goes for nothing.

1 hour ago, Mr Hooper said:

Just to reiterate, my OP was a question about form and observation that he doesn't seem to produce when surrounded by the talented players. Which is strange.

Look at these stats. I'm classing the Swansea Game as the last game before the big boys came back. (Fessi came back the following game)

So pre Swansea, these are his stats:

Played: 35

Scored: 9
Assists: 5

Post Swansea, Fessi is back, Bannan back to full fitness, Hooper is back, and we get a solid partnership of Hutch and Bannan.

Played:10

Goals: 0

Assists: 2

So pre Swansea, when, in the absence of regular goal scorers, Reach was asked to score goals, and despite there not being another Reach to provide him with goal scoring opportunities, he scored goals and when the goal scorers came back he provided more assists. Two big pluses for Reach there then.

In the ten games you have chosen as evidence that his game has gone downhill, he has actually provided nearly half as many more assists per game played, despite him carrying two injuries for most of that time. To bring further perspective, Bannan, our midfield supremo, who has actually played just 3 games less than Reach and taken just about every free kick over the halfway line, has scored just 4 goals, so no I think the facts show that the OP is totally and woefully wrong.

I actually wonder why people keep trying to come up with highly convoluted figures to try and discredit Sheffield Wednesday players that are doing really well for the club in hard times. It's not as though Reach is having to battle to get a new contract after playing badly for two, or three years, or anything like that.

He seems to be a naturally fit player who plays consistently better than any of our other players. If you ask any of the forward players who they would rather have on the ball when they are making a run into space on the edge of the opponents box, I reckon that Bannan might possibly just edge it over Reach, depending on the type of ball required, which gives us more creative options when going forward with both of them on the pitch. Especially if Reach is played in his best position.

According to Who scored.com, who cover every aspect of play in their stats, Reach is again our best midfield player this season, despite playing with his injuries and playing in so many different positions. We may well struggle to keep him in the summer, but if he goes it will be our loss ad I would rather see us build a team for the future with players of his calibre in it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

So pre Swansea, when, in the absence of regular goal scorers, Reach was asked to score goals, and despite there not being another Reach to provide him with goal scoring opportunities, he scored goals and when the goal scorers came back he provided more assists. Two big pluses for Reach there then.

In the ten games you have chosen as evidence that his game has gone downhill, he has actually provided nearly half as many more assists per game played, despite him carrying two injuries for most of that time. To bring further perspective, Bannan, our midfield supremo, who has actually played just 3 games less than Reach and taken just about every free kick over the halfway line, has scored just 4 goals, so no I think the facts show that the OP is totally and woefully wrong.

I actually wonder why people keep trying to come up with highly convoluted figures to try and discredit Sheffield Wednesday players that are doing really well for the club in hard times. It's not as though Reach is having to battle to get a new contract after playing badly for two, or three years, or anything like that.

He seems to be a naturally fit player who plays consistently better than any of our other players. If you ask any of the forward players who they would rather have on the ball when they are making a run into space on the edge of the opponents box, I reckon that Bannan might possibly just edge it over Reach, depending on the type of ball required, which gives us more creative options when going forward with both of them on the pitch. Especially if Reach is played in his best position.

According to Who scored.com, who cover every aspect of play in their stats, Reach is again our best midfield player this season, despite playing with his injuries and playing in so many different positions. We may well struggle to keep him in the summer, but if he goes it will be our loss ad I would rather see us build a team for the future with players of his calibre in it.

Wow, okay. I didn't mean to upset you.

The stats were in response to someone else post.

My original post. (Please read) was just stating that i've noticed he doesn't seem to play as well when we have our better players on the pitch. That's all. 

I get me create alot of negativity, as most football fans do in general, but this was just a discussion point. If you disagree and think he's played really well the last few games, then that's also fine.

Plays nearly every minute of every game and contributes to goal scoring ( what is it 16 goals and assists this year ) good age too very versatile I think sometimes we don’t see how much reach is worth 

the fact he doesn’t stand out when certain players are on the pitch is probably because we are not relying on him doing everything we can argue this is when he’s at his most dangerous. If others are let’s say keeping tabs on a forestieri 

he was was very effective when Aaron’s was in the team I’d like to see him Aaron’s and a forestieri day behind Fletcher and see how teams stand to defend that with bannan picking out those options 

for me he’s worth 8milllion

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Hooper said:

It's great that we have so many 'good' players fit and available for selection now.

But has anyone else noticed that Reach goes into a shell when he's playing with the better players.

He seems to excel when we are down to the bare bones, scores worldies, takes the ball, shoots on site and provides assists.

But whenever we field a close to full strength team he seems to get lost, and starts doing these straight line runs that result in him charging towards the corner flag on his left foot.

I can't work out if its a blessing, that when we're at full strength, Reach isn't a stand out player. Or if it's a sign that he's not quite on the wave length of the better players (Fessi, Hooper, Bannan, Fletcher etc) and maybe he could be the player to make way? - Get 8/9 million for him and re-invest?

Thoughts?

When you're a one man band with 10 Pelupessy's around you, you get more opportunities to shine 

Another example of this, is Gerrard at Liverpool compard to England ( Lampard) 

10 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

I’m astounded that some of our fans don’t rate Reach

Mental, absolutely mental

Pretty confident our chairman and manager do though.

Lucky really otherwise some of here would have him sold for 3 million odd a fraction of what he is worth.

I personally think we will be turning down bids in excess of 10m for him in the summer even in our predicament.

That's how highly I believe we rate him.

Don't see him as the difference between promotion or not so not fussed if he goes for a decent fee.

At 26 he is near enough the finished article in terms of development so won't gain value. He isn't a Prem standard player.

How many top 6 sides would have him as a 1st teamer this season?. Happy to have him start for us but he's no talisman.

If he only has one year left on his contract then we need to sort something out. 

Either sell or get him to extend.

Would be crazy to lose him for nowt next summer.

I moan about him all the time at games but only because I don’t like his pointing technique. He is obviously in our best 11.

Annoyed me on Saturday when his man missed that sitter first half. Reach let him run past him and then pointed for somebody else to pick him up.