Jump to content
Lord Snooty

Dream Team- The right back

Right Back  

314 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

I voted for Nilsson before seeing the rules. I was born in 92 so was too young to see him play but he’s written into Wednesday folk lore as the best the club has seen. I’d be lynched by family members if I’d have voted for anyone else. It’s a shame that people my age and younger don’t seem to have any Wednesday “legends” as such though. I started going to hillsborough at a very young age but don’t really remember our premier league years, the ones I attended were close to our relegation season anyway. So really, the best collection of players that I can fully remember are our current crop over the last 4 seasons. Because I’ve not been around through our best years the players that I remember and look back on fondly mainly aren’t remembered for their ability but for being characters. Lee Peacock, JJ, Bullen, Owusu and his throwing up every game, Kuqi and his swan dives etc. Not legends in a footballing sense but they stick out. Hopefully I’ll see some

world class players back in the blue and white in my lifetime.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd want to vote for Zico because he was one of my favourites as a teenager but there's no denying that Roland was pure class and instrumental in our early 90's success.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Nilsson because the chosen formation is 4-4-2.

Now if it was 3-5-2 and you needed a right wing back then Mel’s your man without a doubt.

Used to love those swashbuckling runs as he brushed opponents aside.

 

There's not enough Swashbuckling these days.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

There's not enough Swashbuckling these days.

Iorfa looks capable of swashing a few buckles to me.

Only seen glimpses of it up to now but certainly has the pace and strength for it. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Iorfa looks capable of swashing a few buckles to me.

Only seen glimpses of it up to now but certainly has the pace and strength for it. 

 

I hope so.

At £200k he looks an absolute  snip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone remember Sterland playing a few games as striker?

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

There's not enough Swashbuckling these days.

For me Culture has it over the Swash of the Buckle !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

For me Culture has it over the Swash of the Buckle !

 

It's a funny thing Nev,  sometimes it depends on my mood.

Petrescu was a lovely player. But never tackled enough for my liking.

Sometimes a bit of a luddite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Mel played as a striker in the early 88/89 season I always felt it was a serious hint to the board from Howard that they had to spend some money! Two months later Howard had gone - a 100% Wednesdayite leaving for Leeds! Actually along with Catterick & Atkinson leaving - one of the worst days I remember following the Owls. Incidentally, although times are different I really feel Bruce could be the answer! Has to Roland but we all loved Mel - he lived the dream we all aspired to! 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

It's a funny thing Nev,  sometimes it depends on my mood.

Petrescu was a lovely player. But never tackled enough for my liking.

Sometimes a bit of a luddite. 

for swash and Buckle I'll give you, in no particular order....Norman Curtis; Tony Kay; Bronco Layne; Vic Mobley; Graham Pugh; Mick Prenderghast; Mick Lyons;

Dennis Leman; Eric McMordie; Jeff King;  Mark Crossley; Mel Sterland; Terry Curran; Tommy Tynan; Jeff Johnson; Reda Johnson and Miguel Llera.   

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neilso for England was the call

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a thought where abouts on that team list would you be fitting John harkes??? 

As the man from across the pond as they called it played all over for us. 

It may be my mind playing tricks on me, but didn't harkes play Rb amongst many other positions for us. 

Or is this just an excuse to remind me and everyone else that remembers him of this...... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

for swash and Buckle I'll give you, in no particular order....Norman Curtis; Tony Kay; Bronco Layne; Vic Mobley; Graham Pugh; Mick Prenderghast; Mick Lyons;

Dennis Leman; Eric McMordie; Jeff King;  Mark Crossley; Mel Sterland; Terry Curran; Tommy Tynan; Jeff Johnson; Reda Johnson and Miguel Llera.   

 

4 players in that lot, Nev ,that don’t get enough recognition for me.

Dennis Leman, Jeff King, Jeff Johnson and Tommy Tynan.

They knew how to dish it out and take it.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Here's a thought where abouts on that team list would you be fitting John harkes??? 

As the man from across the pond as they called it played all over for us. 

It may be my mind playing tricks on me, but didn't harkes play Rb amongst many other positions for us. 

Or is this just an excuse to remind me and everyone else that remembers him of this...... 

 

 

He certainly did. Deputised for Roland when the swede did his knee (cruciate?) at Millwall. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

He certainly did. Deputised for Roland when the swede did his knee (cruciate?) at Millwall. 

 

Yep, Harkes played right back as well as left midfield, right midfield and centre midfield. Whilst not a world beater, he certainly provided the balance opposite Waddle that gave him the freedom to play. It was a big shame that he left (apparently not for footballing reasons as there were rumours about him and Mrs Warhurst IIRC) as even if we'd improved the team, he would have been an excellent squad player because of his versatility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hedwig said:

It can only be Roland Nilsson for me.

His professionalism, attitude & work-rate was something modern day footballers should aspire to..

 

The way he played, he glided across the turf, SWFC's very own Kaiser, and the way he had young Lee Sharpe (arguably the best prospect in the English game), in his pocket in the Rumbelows Cup Final in 1991 was something truly to behold..

There have been some good contenders in more recent years, namely, Buxton, Hunt, but when it comes down to it, they simply don't come close..

 

For the young uns who haven't really seen us with a really good Right back I can understand them choosing Buxton or Hunt, but for those of us fortunate enough to remember Nilsson and Sterland (us old uns) those others shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

 

Best way to explain them would be

Nilsson  - Rolls Royce - Elegant, majestic, very graceful,  never lets you down, top of the range.

Sterland - British touring car - Exciting, not scared to get stuck in, often a winner.

Buxton and Hunt. - Lada pulling a caravan - Useful but prone to the occasional engine failure.

 

Unfortunately it sums up the team from the early 90s then afterwards.

Under 25s haven't had a great deal to get excited about.

 

 

 

  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

Big Kev nicked the vote.

17 years and 400 games gave him a lot of people to impress it seems.

Generations even.

 

image.thumb.png.e876405a60aa63c4d6205d09f8cf7fd8.png

How did more people vote for weaver than Kirkland?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

For the young uns who haven't really seen us with a really good Right back I can understand them choosing Buxton or Hunt, but for those of us fortunate enough to remember Nilsson and Sterland (us old uns) those others shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

 

Best way to explain them would be

Nilsson  - Rolls Royce - Elegant, majestic, very graceful,  never lets you down, top of the range.

Sterland - British touring car - Exciting, not scared to get stuck in, often a winner.

Buxton and Hunt. - Lada pulling a caravan - Useful but prone to the occasional engine failure.

 

Unfortunately it sums up the team from the early 90s then afterwards.

Under 25s haven't had a great deal to get excited about.

 

 

 

As a 22 year old,  from what I've heard Nilsson was brilliant,  along with Chris Waddle and David Hirst he's one I really wish I could have watched. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm disgusted that the incomparable Roly has only received 80% of the vote.  Not only the best RB in my lifetime, but without doubt, the best player to pull on the blue + white.  Simply world class...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...