Steve Gibsons declaration of war today

Guest Hirst1867

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

Boo I could have impartially reviewed Sheff Utds accounts on behalf of the EFL 

Indeed - how they've managed to string out a quid to cover the costs of a Championship season is very suspicious....

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Liam_Baggies said:

Haven't Derby now recorded a profit by selling their ground?

I am not sure whether that is clever accounting or breaking the rules.

Personally - I am not a fan of football clubs not owning their home - I do not subscribe to the lease idea.

In that case, I would be considering that as a rules break.

I think there has to be some clear guidance across the board about what is allowed - and what contributes a breaking of the rules.

I think it would be a dangerous road to go down if clubs continued to sell their home assets purely to get them infront of FFP. 

It's Frank Lampard's ground... so they will be fine. :Sid:

• Haha 2

Strange that his main rivals for a play off position are the ones he wants investigated.

He actually encouraged Wednesday to overspend too.

Didn’t complain whist pocketing all those millions for Rhodes and Reach.

His transparency motion was voted down by the other clubs today. Oh dear. Ow sad. Never mind.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Not sure I’ve understood the point being made here but it seems you are saying because other clubs weren’t clever enough to wisely manage their premier league assembled squad - of international class players, and the following £90m parachute payments, they haven’t gained an advantage?

We are having to stretch the rules to get nowhere near that level of squad value or incomings. Yet for the last 10 years+ it’s been deemed a fair system, until Wednesday try and gain some positive advantage by having a rich owner and its “stop, we need to do something about this”. 

My point is that the rules were there at the beginning on what was, and wasn’t allowed. The premier league parachutes have nothing to do with the EFL rules even though they obviously give a massive, but usually wasted, advantage.

The rules may be flawed, but they are the EFL rules and its members are the clubs themselves. It’s not some sort of separate overseeing body that has nowt to do with the league. 

If the consensus is to change them then the clubs can change them, but we signed up to be in this EFL club so we, and everyone else, has to abide by the rules.

its crap for us at the moment but you can’t pick and choose these things.

3 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I wonder whether Derby's ground sale was the final straw for Gibson. I must admit it seems a bit off to me (and I know we were at least looking into something similar). 

Basically though Derby are now renting their ground and therefore paying it back over a period of time. As we all know renting is dead money and therefore someone is going to lose out somewhere along the line?! 

14 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

My point is that the rules were there at the beginning on what was, and wasn’t allowed. The premier league parachutes have nothing to do with the EFL rules even though they obviously give a massive, but usually wasted, advantage.

The rules may be flawed, but they are the EFL rules and its members are the clubs themselves. It’s not some sort of separate overseeing body that has nowt to do with the league. 

If the consensus is to change them then the clubs can change them, but we signed up to be in this EFL club so we, and everyone else, has to abide by the rules.

its crap for us at the moment but you can’t pick and choose these things.

The parachute system is abused though. Its meant to be a safeguard while clubs reduce costs and transition from PL income to FL income. Hardly any of the clubs use it for that, instead they use it to try & buy their way back up. 

Whilever the parachute money is there, there shouldn't be FFP, or it certainly needs tweeking.

I don't know how every club are allowed to lose £10m when revenue differs significantly from your Villa, Leeds etc to your Rotherham's & Brentford's. 

A £10m loss if hugely different to Rotherham than it is to Leeds or Villa

Edited by mark.flem

3 hours ago, billyblack said:

Wonder if DC can justify not selling FF when he had the chance (apparently) for 11 or 12 million and making 5 or 6 million profit, apart from hes part of the family.

Yes sure he can justify it. What's your excuse, lack of education?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Carl Shutt is God said:

The whole thing is a mess. Teams getting parachute money is a joke it should be in all players contracts that they receive a pay cut upon relegation in line with the teams reduced income. Agents shouldn't be getting the money they are getting the last is leaking out of the game either.

If we have broken rules the  we will be punished but as a club we have been well and truly pooped on. Relegated from the premier league with high earners and without the money clubs are given today which was exasperated by the collapse of the IatV digital deal. Then unlike many clubs we avoided admin but paid for it by spending two spells in league 1. We then get an owner who wants to spend but isn't allowed to as the rules are changed, meanwhile some of those clubs who have been in administration have been back to or are still in the premier league reaping the money that generates. We were so far behind we had to spend to get any quality to be in with any chance but we still haven't spent anywhere near what other teams have.

I know Sheffield United have done it without spending like we have but they are a freak in that things have come together and fair play to them. But then they have had parachute payments and the Tevez money so they have had the benefit of the totally unbalanced system currently in place.

Football is ruined by the ever increasing amounts of money and the greedy sharks who circle where money is involved sadly.

Good post mate 

the mans a joke ,our money was good enough for him when he conned us when we got Rhodes etc, what Gibson should concentrate on his pathetic running of his club lately , they signed no1 last summer or January yet they were so short of attacking players and took on the most boring man going in pulis who takes the word boredom to a new level , I spoke to some boro supporters after xmas and they wernt impressed at all . id even prefer derby to go up than his sorry club. 

Bottom line for me at the moment it appears to be Villa, Derby and us who are in the firing line and it won't be long before others are in the firing line hence the vote result today? I can imagine Gibson will be as popular at championship clubs in the future as Theresa May is at a Conservative Party Conference? :biggrin:

• Haha 1