Steve Gibsons declaration of war today

Guest Hirst1867

3 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

In someways would rather it happen now so if any penalty is to be enforced regarding points it would be enforced this season like Birmingham Cities. Would have no real consequences to us. That is if the EFL are even attending this. There have been rumours that Leeds and the Pigs have also been making noises in the background which is a bit like pot calling kettle as both have got away lightly in the past. Leeds on more than 1 occasion under Ken Bates.

Made a good point there any sanctions should

be taken out in this season like Birmingham has otherwise it would be unfair to

start next year on a minus 

2 minutes ago, Lomas613 said:

Made a good point there any sanctions should

be taken out in this season like Birmingham has otherwise it would be unfair to

start next year on a minus 

But the EFL would say that wouldn't punish anyone now , unless a deduction actually puts a club in danger of relegation. It wouldn't hurt us now this season.

3 minutes ago, jomaco said:

We've spent like 500k and sold Jack Hunt this season, not exactly took the mick this season

Plus the Iorfa fee was covered by the TV money from the Chelsea game, which is the definition of spending what you earn and not taking the p*ss

The EFL said stop taking the p*ss, and we have

plus, this is brought up now, now we finally have a few players coming back after a ridiculous injury situation, presumably because he's worried about boro's chances next year

Edited by jomaco

29 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

But the EFL would say that wouldn't punish anyone now , unless a deduction actually puts a club in danger of relegation. It wouldn't hurt us now this season.

Doesnt matter if it hurt us or not cant have one rule for one and then apply another to others. EFL maybe worried though as Derby and Villa would drop out of play offs.Court judgements would follow im sure.

I’ve read the Birmingham judgement in full ... They couldn’t justify their overspend and ignored almost every bit of guidance from the EFL

SWFC have cooperated in full and simply need to evidence the appalling, prolonged injury crisis as a reason for signing players up until the soft embargo

That said, Steve Gibson is a fine upstanding Chairman.  It’s not like he’s ever presided over a team failing to fulfill a fixture without a bone fide reason ... oh, wait 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

I’ve read the Birmingham judgement in full ... They couldn’t justify their overspend and ignored almost every bit of guidance from the EFL

SWFC have cooperated in full and simply need to evidence the appalling, prolonged injury crisis as a reason for signing players up until the soft embargo

That said, Steve Gibson is a fine upstanding Chairman.  It’s not like he’s ever presided over a team failing to fulfill a fixture without a bone fide reason ... oh, wait 

Well remembered man  !!

4 hours ago, Hirst1867 said:

The meeting of all Championship clubs is set for the City Ground today to discuss the financial conduct of Wednesday Villa and Derby.

Seems that its not just Gibson that is angry about our conduct - many other clubs are too - and they are demanding an EFL investgation. Also increased transparency over P&S rules and how clubs are conducting themselves.

Be interesting to see how this one plays out. I wonder, in the absence of Katrien, who will be attending to represent us and state the argument for our defence

Send garymegson

Then we win. 

2 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Parachute payments dont seem to have done a lot for Swansea and Stoke this season or Sunderland last season and none of the top 3 have any dosh from prem league days.

We all know parachute payments don't guarantee immediate promotion, but what they do do, it seems, is allow teams that manage them well to bounce back in the next few seasons. For example, Norwich, Fulham and Cardiff went down in 2013-14. Norwich went up the next season; it took the other two until last season. The next season, Hull, Burnley and QPR went down; Hull and Burnley went straight back up; QPR are a special case. In 2015-16, Newcastle, Norwich and Villa went down. The Geordies bounced back straight away; Norwich look set to do so this season, and you wouldn't bet against Villa in their current form either. It's true that none of the teams relegated in the last 2 seasons have come straight back up, but West Brom and Middlesbrough could still do so (as could Swansea). In other words, roughly half of the 15 relegated sides from the previous 5 seasons have been promoted again within 5 seasons. However, I don't know how statistically abnormal this is. Back in the 1950s, for example, we were promoted to or relegated from the top division almost every other season.

Seems a classic case of Gibson throwing his toys out the pram because he blew his chance of promotion when appointing that dinosaur.

If clubs have broken the rules however then their should be punishments accordingly. 

I think this boils down to the problem though - because the punishments appear to be so weak and pathetic that chairman across the country will be willing to speculate to accumulate and hope that promotion pays off, knowing they have the luxuries of the Premier League to pay any resulting fines.

The whole concept is ridiculously confusing from the outset - and I am not sure it can be fair play when there are several clubs in the division whom will be feeding off parachute payments.

The simple concept is clear:

Get rid of financial fair play.

Get rid of parachute payments.

Let clubs spend exactly what they want.

Should clubs then run into financial difficulty at a later date, then that is there own fault and they should live by those decisions. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

Wonder if DC can justify not selling FF when he had the chance (apparently) for 11 or 12 million and making 5 or 6 million profit, apart from hes part of the family.

5 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Wonder if DC can justify not selling FF when he had the chance (apparently) for 11 or 12 million and making 5 or 6 million profit, apart from hes part of the family.

This is why FFP is a load of rubbish. Why are clubs forced to sell their best players? What if said player doesn’t want to leave? 

Ridiculous rule. The only criticism I have of Chansiri is signings loads of players who weren’t good enough or have hardly played. Even then how can the EFL punish for that? How on earth have the likes of David Jones, Almen Abdi, Jordan Rhodes and Urby Emanuelson given us an unfair advantage? They’ve made us even worse.

15 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Would like to see Villas and Derbys accounts once published to see how they measure up to ours.

Haven't Derby now recorded a profit by selling their ground?

I am not sure whether that is clever accounting or breaking the rules.

Personally - I am not a fan of football clubs not owning their home - I do not subscribe to the lease idea.

In that case, I would be considering that as a rules break.

I think there has to be some clear guidance across the board about what is allowed - and what contributes a breaking of the rules.

I think it would be a dangerous road to go down if clubs continued to sell their home assets purely to get them infront of FFP.