Steve Gibsons declaration of war today

Guest Hirst1867

I wonder why Steve is choosing to make a song and dance about this now - with his team currently outside the play-offs and outsiders to win them even if they sneak in - rather than in August when clubs were starting the season on an even keel (and when we specifically didn't/couldn't sign anybody)

It's almost like he's panicking about the sustainability of his club without the Premiership teet to suck..

Same attitude and school of thought as Phil Gartside at Bolton with his closed shop rhetoric while they were up there. Sucks for the fans but honestly, who cares. I'm utterly bored of the "it'd be terrible to see clubs go" line and actively think it's about time some of them did if there's any hope of fixing the game. Sounds like Gibson is seeing what's happened at Bolton and is having some sleepless nights about it. Good.

Oh Steve Gibson can f**k right off

If I’m not mistaken wasn’t he one of the chairman who started off this circus of excessive transfer fees and wages? Remember Alen Boksic? One of the first Premier league players on £100k a week.

A new stadium, Ravenelli Juninho, Emerson, Karembeu, Massimo Maccaroni, Zenden, Ziegler to name a few. I’m sure these players weren’t based on sustainable income during the 90’s early 2000’s. They were all bankrolled by himself. Something I’m sure Chansiri would like to do if allowed

• Thanks 1

Parachute payments are unique to the English game and, currently, see relegated clubs receive a percentage of their final earnings in the Premier League in which they were relegated. These drop progressively over a three year period – 55% in the first year, 45% in year two and 20% in the final year. 

Roughly speaking this equates to £90m over a three year period. The study suggests that in the 2014/15 season as many as 10 clubs were receiving parachute payments outside of the Premier League, by 2016/17 this number had fallen to eight but the value of the payments had shot-up from £165,959 to £219,117. 

Little wonder that the report concludes: “...Championship clubs with parachute payments are twice as likely to be promoted to the EPL compared to clubs without and considerably less likely to suffer further relegation to League One compared with other clubs in the League.”

Above is taken from Guardian article dated March 2018 into how parachute payments skew the competition.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/premier-league-parachute-payments-exclusive-study-football-league-finance-money-a8255976.html

and,

Not only are the payments distorting the Championship – traditionally viewed as one of the most competitive in Europe – they could be about to have a dramatic impact in League One too.

Sunderland, Hull City and Middlesbrough all received at least £40m without kicking a ball this season, compensation from those on high for failing to maintain their place in the richest league on earth.

Perhaps this meeting might precipitate an urgent review into the need for a] FFP level needs to reflect inflation at the very least and b] needs to be increased to 90M over three years to be able to compete with failures from the league above and now with Sunderland, the league below...

Edited by Flat Owl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

The spiteful gorm is shooting himself in the foot. 

If they don't go up they're absolutely fooooked when their parachute payments end, they're losing far more than we are but it's covered by the PPs. Which is why he's desperate for potential promotion rivals next year to be docked points.

Can't wait for his crying about how unfair the FFP rules are in a few years time...

at the end of the day "Rules is Rules".

If other clubs were breaking them then plenty on here would be up in arms about it.

Parachute payments dont seem to have done a lot for Swansea and Stoke this season or Sunderland last season and none of the top 3 have any dosh from prem league days.

We have D Taxis and Eleve 8 "income" I assume, which is dodgy as......

7 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

If other clubs were breaking them then plenty on here would be up in arms about it.

Parachute payments dont seem to have done a lot for Swansea and Stoke this season or Sunderland last season and none of the top 3 have any dosh from prem league days.

There is a difference between breaking rules and finding loopholes. 

The same Steve Gibson who said Boro was looking to “Smash it” with the best players when they last got relegated?

The same Steve Gibson who is more than happy for his club to receive the unfair parachute payments?

Rules are rules, but this guy wouldn’t  give a throw if his expensively assembled squad gets promoted. I wonder how much he’s paying Tony Pulis a month to get them into seventh place? 

9 minutes ago, alanharper said:

If they don't go up they're absolutely fooooked when their parachute payments end, they're losing far more than we are but it's covered by the PPs. Which is why he's desperate for potential promotion rivals next year to be docked points.

Can't wait for his crying about how unfair the FFP rules are in a few years time...

Add to the fact they've an ageing squad fast running out of saleable assets.

50 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Seems awfull convenient that two of the teams are right in the mix for the play offs.

Surely, there's no chance of a points deduction for anyone now? That would be farcical. 

Would Villa and Derby be in the mix for the play offs if they stayed within the rules?

59 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

Parachute payments are unique to the English game and, currently, see relegated clubs receive a percentage of their final earnings in the Premier League in which they were relegated. These drop progressively over a three year period – 55% in the first year, 45% in year two and 20% in the final year. 

Roughly speaking this equates to £90m over a three year period. The study suggests that in the 2014/15 season as many as 10 clubs were receiving parachute payments outside of the Premier League, by 2016/17 this number had fallen to eight but the value of the payments had shot-up from £165,959 to £219,117. 

Little wonder that the report concludes: “...Championship clubs with parachute payments are twice as likely to be promoted to the EPL compared to clubs without and considerably less likely to suffer further relegation to League One compared with other clubs in the League.”

Above is taken from Guardian article dated March 2018 into how parachute payments skew the competition.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/premier-league-parachute-payments-exclusive-study-football-league-finance-money-a8255976.html

and,

Not only are the payments distorting the Championship – traditionally viewed as one of the most competitive in Europe – they could be about to have a dramatic impact in League One too.

Sunderland, Hull City and Middlesbrough all received at least £40m without kicking a ball this season, compensation from those on high for failing to maintain their place in the richest league on earth.

Perhaps this meeting might precipitate an urgent review into the need for a] FFP level needs to reflect inflation at the very least and b] needs to be increased to 90M over three years to be able to compete with failures from the league above and now with Sunderland, the league below...

This piece sums up perfectly what is wrong with the system. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Not sure I’ve understood the point being made here but it seems you are saying because other clubs weren’t clever enough to wisely manage their premier league assembled squad - of international class players, and the following £90m parachute payments, they haven’t gained an advantage?

We are having to stretch the rules to get nowhere near that level of squad value or incomings. Yet for the last 10 years+ it’s been deemed a fair system, until Wednesday try and gain some positive advantage by having a rich owner and its “stop, we need to do something about this”. 

Gibson "Right gentleman I've called this meeting to highlight the fact that the EFL are not doing their job properly and it's time we made them aware of that fact and tell them to get their act together. Who's with me?"  Stoney silence and much shuffling in seats and general mumbling.

15 minutes ago, darra said:

We've come close to administration but never managed it thankfully. Wonder how many of those present have? Know Boro came very close and Gibson saved them.

they were wound up in 1986 and gibson reformed them, only just making it in time to keep their football league registration paid up. they had 1986 on their badge from then up till this season,i think, when they rewrote history by putting 1876 back on the badge.

• Thanks 4

Guest The Horse
2 minutes ago, darra said:

Gibson "Right gentleman I've called this meeting to highlight the fact that the EFL are not doing their job properly and it's time we made them aware of that fact and tell them to get their act together. Who's with me?"  Stoney silence and much shuffling in seats and general mumbling.

This.

I hope the rest of the chairman tell the cheeky monkey to fizz off and stop talking flipping testicles and knob off for an early lunch.

Gibson is responsible for the unsustainable market 'value' of bang average players ... and that led to the whole parachute payment system 

Tbf, Ravenelli & Juninho were above average, but they were signed on Ridsdale level contracts 

Gibson arguably financially doped Middlesborough for a decade