Our midfield options

18 minutes ago, billyblack said:

A sign a player and hope for the best strategy doesnt work like we have done. Thats why we end up playing players out of position. Said it before, we need to know what formation and tactics we want to play and then sign the players to fit. Fudging it wont work long term.

That's what I meant. 

Only in about 200 less words

:laugh::ph34r::laugh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

No pace and little physicality in that midfield. Hutch is often injured and needs reigning in as he often chases the ball out to the full back positions. Boyd is average at best. We Hardly got a kick of the ball in the midfield against Leeds. 

Makes you wonder how we've been on such a good run since Christmas with those two in the team  ......if we can sign better players then I'm all for having them out the 11 but unless chansiri can magic up a way round  ffp I think it will be very difficult to get better than those 2

6 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Makes you wonder how we've been on such a good run since Christmas with those two in the team  ......if we can sign better players then I'm all for having them out the 11 but unless chansiri can magic up a way round  ffp I think it will be very difficult to get better than those 2

Good form but not great. The form we’ve been in is still only good enough for 3rd-4th. And we’ve choked or been overrun and outplayed in the vital games in this time.

10 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I don't think we needed much new blood.

With one lively, fast, strong loan signing at centre forward added to this side we were easily good enough for promotion in Year one. 

Westwood

2                      5                           6                    3

Hunt               Lees                    Loovens           Pudil

10       Hutchinson         8      

7               Lee              9              Bannan             11

Wallace                             ????????                            Forestieri

Gray had forged a fantastic defensive nucleus with the defensive diamond of Westwood, Lees, Loovens and Hutchinson. 

The adding of Forestieri and Wallace gave us two players who would bring flair, delivery and a share of goals and give our midfield flair and creativity adding attacking skill to our strong defensive base.

A couple of canny signings or loan signings would have finished it off.

Instead ......

we went crackers. ...

Wiggins,  Sougou, McGugan, Abdi, Fox,  Matias, Lachman, Emanualson, Hooper, Jones, Reach, Winnall, Rhodes, Boyd,  Sasso, Reach , Venâncio,  Van Aken. 

We just needed a couple to fit with the rest of the team. We just brought int people randomly with seemingly no thought given as to where they'd fit in. 

That's when the shoe horn came out. Our transfer lunacy and signing players like a hoover taking anything in its path actually made us less tactically flexible!!!

Crackers.

Completley crackers.

Set us back .and more.... because now we're in in FFP mire because of it.

Couple of shrewd loans we'd have been there.

Barmy. Completley bloody barmy transfer 'policy'.

Jacob bloody Butterfield....random.

Sp basically if instead of spaffing all the money and wages on those players after Hull (as I do believe after Gray the squad needed filling out even if we did sign most unnecessarily) If we had signed Conor Wickham and a back up for Hutch - Lopez ?? We would have had a good shot at Automatic the next year.

Just now, Dutch McLovin said:

Sp basically if instead of spaffing all the money and wages on those players after Hull (as I do believe after Gray the squad needed filling out even if we did sign most unnecessarily) If we had signed Conor Wickham and a back up for Hutch - Lopez ?? We would have had a good shot at Automatic the next year.

I think we could have done it that year to be honest.

But.. certainly in year two, if anything, it should have been even more obvious than it already was. And it was to us in the stands.

Yet if anything the clubs went even more barmy.

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

I think we could have done it that year to be honest.

But.. certainly in year two, if anything, it should have been even more obvious than it already was. And it was to us in the stands.

Yet if anything the clubs went even more barmy.

Couldn't agree more.

As for our current options, I believe the Midfield is the weakest part of our side. excluding Kieron Lee who has been out so long its fair to say we have no idea what type of player will come back if he even does, we only have Hutchinson who in his position in this league would get in most of the teams. He has been consistently good ever since Gray brought him to the club and even better since his return where he seems to have curbed his rashness and is playing higher up. If it wasn't for his injuries he would have played in the premiership I am sure. While we do need a backup to him (I'm not adverse to the Cattermole rumours to be honest) he would still be the first name on the team sheet in the midfield next year. And Captain !!!

The others in there are weird ones. Bannan is a lovely footballer and is capable of brilliance but his best form for us was on the wing and he isn't a winger. We also IMO look better without him in the side, Onomah and Hutch worked well last Friday. Past that, Abdi Pelupessy Jones simply aren't good enough. Reach is a funny one hes good but doesn't create enough for me. Aarons looked like what we needed but injury has hampered that, Boyd puts a shift in but his legs aren't there and Matias I am a fan of but he needs to play regularly as he gets better and more effective with a run in the side. But over his time here hasn't done enough through injury.

So overall there is only Hutchinson who I would not let go in the summer, the rest although id like to keep some of them I wouldn't be against them going at the right price as long as we can reinvest in people who will make more of an impact, ie wingers who create changes and a beast in midfield which we have needed for a while.

3 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Couldn't agree more.

As for our current options, I believe the Midfield is the weakest part of our side. excluding Kieron Lee who has been out so long its fair to say we have no idea what type of player will come back if he even does, we only have Hutchinson who in his position in this league would get in most of the teams. He has been consistently good ever since Gray brought him to the club and even better since his return where he seems to have curbed his rashness and is playing higher up. If it wasn't for his injuries he would have played in the premiership I am sure. While we do need a backup to him (I'm not adverse to the Cattermole rumours to be honest) he would still be the first name on the team sheet in the midfield next year. And Captain !!!

The others in there are weird ones. Bannan is a lovely footballer and is capable of brilliance but his best form for us was on the wing and he isn't a winger. We also IMO look better without him in the side, Onomah and Hutch worked well last Friday. Past that, Abdi Pelupessy Jones simply aren't good enough. Reach is a funny one hes good but doesn't create enough for me. Aarons looked like what we needed but injury has hampered that, Boyd puts a shift in but his legs aren't there and Matias I am a fan of but he needs to play regularly as he gets better and more effective with a run in the side. But over his time here hasn't done enough through injury.

So overall there is only Hutchinson who I would not let go in the summer, the rest although id like to keep some of them I wouldn't be against them going at the right price as long as we can reinvest in people who will make more of an impact, ie wingers who create changes and a beast in midfield which we have needed for a while.

I think you see a different Bannan when he's not played in a two man midfield.  I look at the postition Boyd took up in the second half against Noriwch and think we'd see the absolute best of Barry Bannan in that role. Whether we ever do I don't know. Depends what Bruce wants to go with. 

Reach, in that system I highlighted earlier I would simply put in the position that Wallace should have been playing in. With his ability to push forward, cut inside and fire off shots and support the front man, with a little less of the defensive side of the game because of the extra body in the middle I think he would flourish too.

The third bonus is...I actually think we get even more out of Sam and create less risks for him to make as the anchore. Might even help him extend his career. No more charging about getting frustrated.

I think we have some of the best individuals in the league, ie Bannan, but our midfield as a whole is probably bottom half.

Take out Bannan and Reach and we have zero creativity. No one expects Hutch to be able to play every game and Joey probably a squad player. Expect Boyd to be released and not seen enough of Onomah, who is not our player anyway. Aarons looked decent before his injury, but again, not our player.

Going into the summer, we have Bannan and Reach, Hutch for 20-30 games and Joey to fill in as DM. Midfield needs some major attention to provide cover and competition.

4 minutes ago, striker said:

I think we have some of the best individuals in the league, ie Bannan, but our midfield as a whole is probably bottom half.

Take out Bannan and Reach and we have zero creativity. No one expects Hutch to be able to play every game and Joey probably a squad player. Expect Boyd to be released and not seen enough of Onomah, who is not our player anyway. Aarons looked decent before his injury, but again, not our player.

Going into the summer, we have Bannan and Reach, Hutch for 20-30 games and Joey to fill in as DM. Midfield needs some major attention to provide cover and competition.

We need a whole new midfield.

Boyd, Matias, jones, abdi can all leave. 

Lee can go as well. Reach needs to go back on the wing along with FF if we dont sell either.

We need 3 new CM's and 2 wingers IMO, depending on our formation.

Also another striker and another CB. Winnall, Rhodes, Nuhiu can all go. 

5 minutes ago, striker said:

In a three man midfield, which to be fair, we rarely play under Bruce, two players with the creative talents of Bannan and Reach, you would think, should be enough. I lay some of these problems at the feet of the forward players, there often isn’t the movement ahead of our midfield. Yes, on Monday, the movement was better, but usually there is a noticeable lack of movement in forward areas

8 minutes ago, billyblack said:

We need a whole new midfield.

Boyd, Matias, jones, abdi can all leave. 

Lee can go as well. Reach needs to go back on the wing along with FF if we dont sell either.

We need 3 new CM's and 2 wingers IMO, depending on our formation.

Also another striker and another CB. Winnall, Rhodes, Nuhiu can all go. 

Crikey you missed  keepers, full back and tea lady!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Most probably agree that we didn’t do what was needed, and wasted the money that could maybe have given us better options. I’m not criticising our midfield, in fact I agree with Torry and Holmowl, it’s as good as most in the division, at least on paper. However, and this was my point, if that’s what we believe, then it cannot be true that we have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to the front players. Again, this I’ve always believed to be a myth.

I think the main issue here is that we have midfielders more suited to playing in a central three yet strikers more suited to playing in a front two.

Again it all comes back to a haphazard recruitment policy over the last few seasons.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

I think the main issue here is that we have midfielders more suited to playing in a central three yet strikers more suited to playing in a front two.

Again it all comes back to a haphazard recruitment policy over the last few seasons.

I think you’ve probably hit the nail on the head