Fletcher 2019 form

This year to date:-

Started 16

Sub 1

Missed 1

Minutes played 1250 out of 1620 

Goals 8

Minutes per goal 156

This is the period that Bruce or his management team have been in charge. It’s clear that Bruce thinks the world of Fletcher, and has him playing at the peak of his prowess. 

He came back this season looking leaner, fitter and faster. I think there’s little doubt that Bruce will use this Summer to get all our players much fitter than previous Summers. We can hope that Fletcher will come back in August in even better shape. 

Scotland have two games in 5 days in June. We have to hope he is not flogged to death by the next Scotland manager in those matches.

Could Fletcher’s best season for us start in August? It would be fantastic if this skilful warrior could be pivotal in getting Sheffield Wednesday back into the Premier League.

Edited by Holmowl
  • Like 3

I'm a big fan of Fletcher and always have been. He's a fantastic footballer and puts in an excellent shift. Only thing missing under Carlos and Jos were more goals. Can't help but think that Bruce asking him to stay that bit further up the pitch has helped.

Always liked Fletcher from his time with Wolves and Sunderland. Way underappreciated by a lot of people on here. Leads the line, holds the ball up well and now started scoring goals as well. That said, he's just turned 32 so eventually a younger version with some resale value would be nice. 

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, GerOwl said:

Always liked Fletcher from his time with Wolves and Sunderland. Way underappreciated by a lot of people on here. Leads the line, holds the ball up well and now started scoring goals as well. That said, he's just turned 32 so eventually a younger version with some resale value would be nice. 

This will be the key next season - either getting Joao to perform in a similar way to Fletcher, if he should be unavailable,

or to get someone in, ideally with a bit of pace too, who can lead the line.

Fletcher had brief spells under Carlos where he looked the business but he's really shown his capabilities this year.

I think it's been his best season and is a real handful for the opposition defence, which allows the other attacking players to take advantage. If we can get stability and quality in these areas, i'd happily have him leading the line next season.

Like Hooper, he's a far better footballer then I gave him credit for before he signed for Wednesday.

Some of his hold-up play is exceptional and he's a very intelligent player, which is what I'd previously underestimated. Coupled with his obvious physical prowess, it makes him a real handful for Championship defenders.

I'm sure he'll have an important role to play in the team Bruce goes on to form.

• Like 2

Fletcher is an example of when an experienced free signing on higher wages goes right. Was MoM in the play off semi and has always given 100pc. This season though has been brilliant.

Important that when teams press on us at the back we have someone like Fletch to get onto the long ball. Or we could just be watching our centre halves pass to each other as under Jos.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Finney on the Wing said:

This will be the key next season - either getting Joao to perform in a similar way to Fletcher, if he should be unavailable,

or to get someone in, ideally with a bit of pace too, who can lead the line.

Fletcher had brief spells under Carlos where he looked the business but he's really shown his capabilities this year.

That's the funniest thing I have ever read on here

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

This year to date:-

Started 16

Sub 1

Missed 1

Minutes played 1250 out of 1620 

Goals 8

Minutes per goal 156

This is the period that Bruce or his management team have been in charge. It’s clear that Bruce thinks the world of Fletcher, and has him playing at the peak of his prowess. 

He came back this season looking leaner, fitter and faster. I think there’s little doubt that Bruce will use this Summer to get all our players much fitter than previous Summers. We can hope that Fletcher will come back in August in even better shape. 

Scotland have two games in 5 days in June. We have to hope he is not flogged to death by the next Scotland manager in those matches.

Could Fletcher’s best season for us start in August? It would be fantastic if this skilful warrior could be pivotal in getting Sheffield Wednesday back into the Premier League.

The only stat which concerns me is that had he scored that peno I genuinely believe we would have beat Villa, beat Norwich and be sat 2 points outside Playoffs. 

Misses too many sitters. If we can pick up a few mill for him then get shut and get a target man in who can score the chances

Edited by DuttyTeabags
Sittera
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

I'm a big fan of Fletcher and always have been. He's a fantastic footballer and puts in an excellent shift. Only thing missing under Carlos and Jos were more goals. Can't help but think that Bruce asking him to stay that bit further up the pitch has helped.

He is not as isolated and playing with another threat on goal helps enormously. Mind you in the division both Hooper and Fletcher are too fragile and too slow. Both could be released without much harm to the club. If FF goes, of course one of them has to stay, preferably Fletcher who seems inspired by Bruce

I think he has his limitations when you play a system with just the one up, and I’d be disappointed if he was still our first choice next season Having said that, there’s no denying that he has been at the top of his game since Bruce’s arrival. You know what you get with Fletcher, and he always gives his all Be happy to have him around as an option, next year, that’s for sure

• Haha 1