Such a dilemma with him. Never known a player like him for commitment and guts. Incredible tackler, good vision, and a huge boost to the whole side when he’s on. Being forced to make a sub before the break six or seven times a season could well cost us dearly over the course of a whole campaign.

I’d love him here on staff with options for an intentionally more occasional playing role, but we’ve got a pretty full dugout as it is. He’d be such an inspiration for the U23s, for example, but he’s not yet 30 himself and clearly lives to play. Incredibly tough call, but Bruce’s clear focus on addressing the two-year injury crisis might force his hand. Then again, we lack backup for him.

What a rare breed of player and man he is though. Huge respect for him.

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 2

Didn't think his contract was up? 

Even if it is I'd keep him. Given his injury history I'd like to assume his basic weekly wage is in context low for a player of his ability.

If you can get a good 25-30 games out of him it a worth having him at the club especially now he seems to have cut or a lot of the silly yellow cards. If he could could play 40 games a season like Reach he simply wouldn't be with us as would've spent his career in the top flight. 

Hopefully it’s nothing what requires surgery, just a rest up, under the sun.

Hutch definitely deserves the term ‘professional footballer’ his absence in the Jos period was criminal in football reasoning but his attitude and performances after reinstatement shows his commitment to this club.

Get well soon

19 minutes ago, ReginaldD said:

Didn't think his contract was up? 

Even if it is I'd keep him. Given his injury history I'd like to assume his basic weekly wage is in context low for a player of his ability.

If you can get a good 25-30 games out of him it a worth having him at the club especially now he seems to have cut or a lot of the silly yellow cards. If he could could play 40 games a season like Reach he simply wouldn't be with us as would've spent his career in the top flight. 

Has a year left wont be going anywhere. Time for him to recover and be ready for the battle next season.  One of the major reasons for the upturn in form since Jos was sacked. 

Shame he can't be cloned with the injuries taken out. 

When fit he'd be the first name on my team sheet. 

At 29 though even with careful managment it's not something that will ever get any better.  A shame, but we knew when we signed him what the situation was. 

He'll get to 30 with less than 150 league games under his belt, with most of those in his time at Wednesday.

A great player but clearly not reliable and we can't build the team with him in mind. Therefore, if fit, i hope he'll be sub at best for next season's promotion push.

He's not missed a league through injury (it was sickness that kept out of the Forest game apparently) since Jos left, so Monday will be the first he's missed because of injury for four months.

The biggest problem with Hutchinson in his time with us has been the number of times he's had to go off in games because of a knock - particularly in the first half. Yesterday was the third first half withdrawal in these last four months alone.

Even so, I think he's definitely worth persevering with because we still get more than 50% of the games out of him, and he generally just slots in when fit without needing game time to adjust again after injury. The key here though is having adequate enough back up.

• Like 1

The problem , as such, with Hutchinson is that a fully fit version of that type of player with no chronic knee trouble (and the aside injuries that come with that) would probably cost in excess of £4m. 

We have to hope that Bruce has his eyes on a younger back up player who can eventually step into his shoes, and I'm sure it's something he's already busy with.

Contract has another year to run , and I don't see anyone paying for him.

So his value to us is higher than any potential value in letting him go. IMO. 

according to soccer base. For the 18/19 season, Hutchinson has appeared for us in 25 games in all competitions. Compare that to Forestieri who has appeared in 14 games in all competitions. Again according to soccer base only 8 players have made more appearances in that time than Hutchinson.

54 minutes ago, darra said:

according to soccer base. For the 18/19 season, Hutchinson has appeared for us in 25 games in all competitions. Compare that to Forestieri who has appeared in 14 games in all competitions. Again according to soccer base only 8 players have made more appearances in that time than Hutchinson.

And half of the season he was available but frozen out by Jos

• Like 1

He originally retired for a reason.

Bottom line is you will never get a full season or anything near it from him.

No doubting his ability but any ruthless manager wanting a side that can cope with the physical requirements this league brings will want a younger, fitter, less injury prone player if serious about competing for automatic promotion in future years. 

Sentiment should play no part.