Who’d be a manager, eh?

How do you decide who’s staying in the summer?

Westwood and Palmer are a must but Matias and Boyd are really contributing after many (including me) had them both as “nailed on” definites to leave. 

Then there are others that should be moved on but firstly, can we move them on and secondly, can we replace them? 

Im quite excited to find out what’s going to happen. 

His mind will be made up/

In fact I'll be surprised if he's not been on the blower for the last fortnight trying to get some targets interested and some buyers found for the old lot.

I'm really looking forward to what the manager does, even if it's not top class players he brings in....because I'm sure he's going to bring in the 'right type' of players.

• Like 1

I wouldn't give players a new contract based on their most recent performances. Look at Nuhiu. Last season when his contract was up he became literally the best player in the world but hadn't reproduced that form this season.

I suppose it depends on the budget we have but Boyd and Matias can go for me.

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

In fact I'll be surprised if he's not been on the blower for the last fortnight trying to get some targets interested and some buyers found for the old lot.

I'm really looking forward to what the manager does, even if it's not top class players he brings in....because I'm sure he's going to bring in the 'right type' of players.

Alf Ramsay won the old Jules Rimet trophy with the right type of player. I’m with you there Snoots old boy. 

2 minutes ago, Carl Shutt is God said:

I wouldn't give players a new contract based on their most recent performances. Look at Nuhiu. Last season when his contract was up he became literally the best player in the world but hadn't reproduced that form this season.

I suppose it depends on the budget we have but Boyd and Matias can go for me.

I see where you’re coming from but Matias intrigues me as he adds something different and unexpected - I think he may he worth a punt. 

I don’t think it’s even difficult.

I think as fans we build players up too much.

Westwood might be a decent keeper but he does pick up more injuries than most keepers. It’s not a choice between the kids and him for next season, there will be other experienced keepers out there and Bruce is capable of finding one.

Keep Palmer cos presumably he ain’t on a lot of money but not fussed either way.

As for the rest wouldn’t contemplate keeping any of them but Bruce might keep Boyd because despite his time out here injured he is generally a fit player who Bruce knows will do a steady job and always be available.

Edited by oldishowl

I'm honestly not massively bothered who goes. There isn't 1 player I think is irreplaceable now we have Bruce. Obviously there are a few that will be harder to replace than others but it's not a long list. Bannan, Hutchinson if fully fit, Westwood, Lees, Palmer. That's about it. 

Forestieri has moments of brilliance but they're fewer and fewer between nowadays. Fletcher is doing a great job but we could get younger and cheaper. Wingers we need to replace with pace. 

I may have missed some and I'm happy to change my mind and backtrack etc but whatever Steve does is fine with me, cos I know he'll be doing it for the right reasons. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

The commentators were discussing Norwich's recruitment last night, saying how they didn't sign 'big name' players, but rather players to fit the system the manager wants to play...and I couldn't help thinking that the exact opposite applies to the way we've stockpiled talented players with seemingly no idea of how to shape them into a coherent whole in recent years.

I'm confident that a manager as experienced as Bruce won't make the same mistake.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The commentators were discussing Norwich's recruitment last night, saying how they didn't sign 'big name' players, but rather players to fit the system the manager wants to play...and I couldn't help thinking that the exact opposite applies to the way we've stockpiled talented players with seemingly no idea of how to shape them into a coherent whole in recent years.

I'm confident that a manager as experienced as Bruce won't make the same mistake.

This is the key.

You have to recruit players with a system in mind otherwise it’s like trying to do a jigsaw with the wrong pieces.

The other thing is recruit players with the intention of them being good enough to play in the first eleven.

None of this signing backups rubbish.This was the problem under Carlos, he thought he had his first 11 in his first season and after that , with the odd exception, signed players purely as cover.

13 hours ago, shandypants said:

Westwood and Palmer are a must but Matias and Boyd are really contributing after many (including me) had them both as “nailed on” definites to leave. 

Then there are others that should be moved on but firstly, can we move them on and secondly, can we replace them

We have a squad of over 30 players in the first team pool...Bruce has already said he wants a smaller, leaner, hungrier squad of about 24. So at least 7/8 will not be replaced. As another poster pointed out, contracts handed to Pudil and Nuhiu last season were a waste of money because neither has been able to contribute to any great extent...and assuming they are on about £25k between then that is £1.3m spunked down the toilet. Multiply that by several other players who don't contribute enough and you're probably looking at the thick end of £10m in wages which can be diverted to quality loans.

It's a difficult balancing act but I'm confident we have the perfect manager with his years of Championship experience to perform the surgery we need.

On 19/04/2019 at 22:55, S36 OWL said:

Some big decisions for Brucey to make very soon. 

not just bruce, dc too.

p&s will dictate how much money we can throw at it?.

money will dictate how many players we can buy or loan in?.

how many we can add to, will dictate how many we can get shut of, just the 'deadwood' or 'deadwood' and those not good enough for a serious promotion challenge?. 

On 19/04/2019 at 23:49, Lord Snooty said:

Your right. You don’t need top class players to be successful. Cardiff and Sheffield United have shown everybody that

On 20/04/2019 at 07:56, zico.b said:

'Look boys, I want to keep you, but you're acutely aware of the club's financial situation. I can offer £x and a mahoosive promotion bonus. You've done alright out of this club, so have you got the balls to accept and deliver yourself a big fat payday?'

it should work like this but it wont lol

I honestly don’t mind who he lets go, it’s his call and he will either be successful or not based on those decisions, what worries me is the way everyone is building this all up as though SB is the messiah, the expectation for next season will be off the scale and it may not materialise that way.

i have full faith in SB but next season could still be a difficult one  due to the P&S, so everyone just keep level headed about the future 

Edited by thekimmyowl

On 19/04/2019 at 22:47, shandypants said:

Then there are others that should be moved on but firstly, can we move them on and secondly, can we replace them? 

i'd be one on the money they're on, and generally when you get 'the peddler' someone else wants to offer you a 'cracking' contract that you'll likely not see the end of.

never seen a 'poor' bookie, though I have seen one or two pisspoor managers.