Matias

Another one - along with Lucas Joao - I made my mind up on today. Sell Joao and release matias. A very frustrating player. He has some qualities and works hard, but has never gripped a game and stood out. Four years has been long enough. Thank you and farewell. 

If we want to tread water then by all means keep Matias - we know he'll be OK and score a few goals each season. If we want to improve then we'd be better opening up space in the squad by letting him go and bringing in someone who Bruce reckons can contribute on a more consistent basis.

He is total garbage. Gets into forward positions and hasn’t a clue what to do then. Twice in the first half today were prime examples of this

Too lightweight for English football as well

Not a type of player we need if we are serious about top six. Get shut whilst we have the chance

54 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

The problem we have, though, is an absence of money.

Some of these players might not be so sloppy next season under Brucie in any case.

Bring some new blood in and we might see a transformation in them.

I think Matias is a fabulous option when fit. 

- can play either flank

- can be second striker

- scores goals 

- generates assists 

- tracks back and supports full back 

- decent pace

- makes runs into space 

TBH not sure who we’d bring in for free or next to nothing that can offer more for less. I’d not begrudge him an extension, feel he’s over his injury nightmare. 

MM is too frustrating by far in my view. He hasn't ever really developed a real mindset for the British game, and I think despite his very laudable efforts, he still shows a real weakness in footballing nous week in, week out.

It's completely irrelevant whether or not the string of daft free kicks he gave away while we were chasing the game today were technically fouls or not...the fact is, they're ALWAYS going to be looked for, and usually got, at that stage in the match. Don't give them the chance to con the ref! But he always, always does it.

If ever there was a case of a player who needs to work 'smarter, not harder', it's him. Honestly I think the only real reason there's any debate about his continued involvement is that our entire team is bizarrely lacking in movement going forward, which leaves MM looking the most willing by far. But in nearly any other Championship squad this season, he'd be one of at least 3 or 4 who regularly look to find space and get in behind/ cut through the channels, and we wouldn't even be considering keeping him on IMO.

He scores a handful of goals, sure, because he moves about - but literally anybody would grab a few over the course of a season if they're regularly the only option for a quick through ball 85% of the time, which he is. I really do appreciate his workrate and general passion for playing here, but in all honesty, in nearly every other aspect of his game he consistently annoys the bejesus out of me.

Personally I very much think it needs to be thanks but cheerio next year - not least because his position is exactly the one that can be filled very effectively by a pacy young trier who's desperate to make a name for himself on loan.

Unless he's on a low wage next year and happy to be backup, I don't think he's done enough. Since February 1st, or ever really.

Edited by Mr. Tom