Solid shape- with fluid change -Well done Brucey

You have to hand it to Bruce tonight. That first half was a bit squeaky.

I thought the lad Stiepermann was causing us some real problems popping up in dangerous spaces behind Onomah and Hutchinson.

When Sam went off I thought "Oh here we go"

But the manager got it spot on. Pelupessy coming on and playing in the same role he did for Herecles in front of the back line. Just intercepting and breaking and making the extra body worked a treat. That might be the best I've seen the lad play. Sat in there in his proper role. He'll never be a Hutchinson, only a fool would think anyone could be. Hutch is a one off. But it's helped Joey tonight -the manager making a common sense switch. It's simple game isn't it.

Boyd coming inside to make up that triumvirate gave us that match up in the midfield which proved absolutely vital in making sure they didn't completely dominate us in that area for 90 minutes as they have with some teams. (Yes  they kitchen sinked us at the end, as you'd expect from top of the league and scorers of 57 second half goals this year)

image.png.4b83d8e516ab7dc680fd3adf0b816640.png

I actually thought it worked really well. Boyd hasn't got the pace he might once have , but one thing we do know is that he's got stamina and it was needed tonight. He covered so much ground in there tonight. Up and down that sodding pitch. Not just tracking but also making so many bursts forward to try and support Fletch.

Of course whilst it could have been seen as a defensive thing to do leaving Fletch up there on his todd it actually made us look more of a threat too because....

......it gave Fernando the opportunity to do what he's best at. Drift. Pick the ball up in space and get a head up of steam and run at people. Something that has always been a key part of his make and what makes him such a dangerous player. That is surely going to leave an indelible impression on Bruce. Fernando showed tonight what he can do when he's in the best areas for his tremendous skill set. That flourish, and drive and positivity. Far better to see him in that mood and fashion than plonked up front with his back to goal and a 15 stone centre half hacking his ankles for 90 minutes.  Great to see him looking so lively.  

Well done gaffer. 

Right. I said I'd have my hampton out so I'm off for a quick thrash around the house. 

I'm sure @Bouncing Owl will be along to add their two penneth. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, daleblue said:

Hmmm.

I'll have to mull this over, did you mention Bannan?

I didn't. But you can if you want! :laugh:

I didn't want my O.P to be too long as some people get bored or distracted very easil... ooh look , a moth.

• Haha 2

Saw the game on Sky and thought you played some nice stuff and your defence looked solid against top opposition. A bit unfortunate not win the game as well with Norwich scoring a spectacular free kick with the last kick of the match.

We are next up on Monday.........Looks like another tough away fixture for us. That said City are better on the road having beaten both Boro and the Blades on their own patch but we struggle at AG. We dropped points again today against Reading and the same against Wigan and Ipswich.

I saw that BB came on as sub - resting him for us on Monday?.......

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I didn't. But you can if you want! :laugh:

I didn't want my O.P to be too long as some people get bored or distracted very easil... ooh look , a moth.

Yep, see it.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Alan Robinson said:

Saw the game on Sky and thought you played some nice stuff and your defence looked solid against top opposition. A bit unfortunate not win the game as well with Norwich scoring a spectacular free kick with the last kick of the match.

On another day we could/should have put the game to bed. 

Of course it's very much story of the season. We'd be higher than we are if we scored more and conceded less!!

Pleased with the performance less since Bruce came in though. Even though results haven't always matched. We played very well again at Villa and got nothing. 

I can't wait to see Bruces stamp with his own players.

13 hours ago, Alan Robinson said:

Probably. Thick and fast games friday/Monday and he's had a hamstring pull so never going to play in both. 

• Like 1

Excellent analysis, snoots!

I echo your comments. I thought we were good for the first 20 minutes or so and then Stiepermann started to get into some very dangerous areas and they got on top of us for the remainder of the half. Like we’ve said many times on here, most of the better teams in this league play with a midfield 3 and it’s very difficult for us to get a foothold when we play with only 2 in the middle.

Fair play for Bruce for changing it half time - we had 3 in the middle and it worked a treat. We then only matched them in the key area of the pitch but like you say, Forestieri was drifting in from the left and causing havoc. This is unequivocally his best position without as much defensive responsibility given we have 3 in the middle. We looked very good and the sort of shape I will like to see from us next season.

Bruce got some stick for playing 4-4-2 at Villa and they were a bit predictable. If we continue to play this system, I still think given his knowhow and pedigree, he could guide us to a lower playoff spot. I’ve been very impressed with him so far. However, if we want to push for promotion, we need to be able to control games, have more energy and pace. If we had an energetic box to box midfield  player to compliment Hutch and Bannan, we could be a real force. Bannan gets criticised too much on here but he is a class act. Poor lad has too much to do when often he is trying to compete with an extra player in there. If we play 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3 - very similar but dependant on the opposition and whether we are at home or away, we will get the best out of Hutch, Bannan and Forestieri.

If we are going to deploy the above formation at some points next season, we need to bring in a box to box midfielder and cover for Hutchinson and we could do with a quality pace and mobile option up front, however the latter may prove difficult given we already have 7 strikers on our books. 

I hope the second half performance has given Bruce something to mull over. 

1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Fair play for Bruce for changing it half time - we had 3 in the middle and it worked a treat. 

I hope the second half performance has given Bruce something to mull over. 

I sincerely hope he sees it as something that can be used for our gain and not something that was just a necessity last night.

5 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I thought we played their young full backs a lot better than I expected. They are both excellent players and very quick and have been a big part of the Norwich success this season. However we played them well.

By allowing Matias and especially Fernando the scope to break wide knowing we had cover in the middle it gave their fullbacks something to think about didn't it, rather than them being able to just charge about having it all their own way.

On 19/04/2019 at 23:07, Alan Robinson said:

Hutchinson limped out and looks to miss the final couple of games so every chance that Barry will be involved on Monday. 

As a matter of interest to this head how have you lot been lining up in terms if shape?

23 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Hutchinson limped out and looks to miss the final couple of games so every chance that Barry will be involved on Monday. 

As a matter of interest to this head how have you lot been lining up in terms if shape?

Johnson changes the shape depending on who the opposition are even at AG. It’s more understandable away from home but few, if any of us can fathom why he changes shape at home. City are the home team ffs. Let  the opposition worry about us.

No idea what shape he’ll employ at Hillsborough today.   

Your former RB still can’t cross a decent ball btw...and gave away a very dodgy penalty at Villa Pk and City had a perfectly good good goal disallowed for offside and the referee Scott Duncan booked 5 of our players for complaining! and City have been charged by the FA for “failing to control our players”

Johnson has received a letter of apology from the PGMOL regarding Scott Duncan’s performance and guess who is the fourth official today?  Scott bloody Duncan!  

Unfortunately i wont be at Hillsborough today but if I were I’d be looking to see how Johnson and Duncan interact.

Edited by Alan Robinson
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alan Robinson said:

Johnson changes the shape depending on who the opposition are even at AG. It’s more understandable away from home but few, if any of us can fathom why he changes shape at home. City are the home team ffs. Let  the opposition worry about us.

No idea what shape he’ll employ at Hillsborough today.   

Your former RB still can’t cross a decent ball btw...and gave away a very dodgy penalty at Villa Pk and City had a perfectly good good goal disallowed for offside and the referee Scott Duncan booked 5 of our players for complaining! and City have been charged by the FA for “failing to control our players”

Johnson has received a letter of apology from the PGMOL regarding Scott Duncan’s performance and guess who is the fourth official today?  Scott bloody Duncan!  

Unfortunately i wont be at Hillsborough today but if I were I’d be looking to see how Johnson and Duncan interact.

This manager you have who keeps changing formation, is he a little guy with a tache who talks with a funny accent?

Scot Duncan is the worst referee in our league and to be fair that takes some doing.

Edited by oldishowl
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

This manager you have who keeps changing formation, is he a little guy with a tache who talks with a funny accent?

Scot Duncan is the worst referee in our league and to be fair that takes some doing.

Johnson doesn’t have a tache, but sometimes he has a some stubble. He is vertically challenged tho........