Gary Cahill

Anyone read this?

Link to article

I know of some of the people involved. They claim GC was actually investing in an insurance scam, and knew fine well.

CG's claimed he was ignorant and got away with it, and the other guy's taken all the blame and been sent down.

Someone I spoke to a few days ago, reckons she's going to the press about it soon, with their side of it and also telling them about how GC bought drugs through the same guy (in the article).

All just allegations of course, but if we signed him, with our luck...

WTF:

2 hours ago, Jamie_W said:

No, give the money to Hector instead... younger and better.

Thats why Cahill has played over 200 times for Chelsea and over 50 caps for England... Alot of the time whilst Hector was being farmed out on loan... Despite being 'younger and better'

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

Anyone read this?

Link to article

I know of some of the people involved. They claim GC was actually investing in an insurance scam, and knew fine well.

CG's claimed he was ignorant and got away with it, and the other guy's taken all the blame and been sent down.

Someone I spoke to a few days ago, reckons she's going to the press about it soon, with their side of it and also telling them about how GC bought drugs through the same guy (in the article).

All just allegations of course, but if we signed him, with our luck...

WTF:

I know the lad who gone down for it is well known for been dodgy suprised he got away with it so long

Guest LondonOwl313

Think it probably wouldn’t happen but is more likely than you might think. The guy has been at Chelsea 7 years, not sure he’s been on £130k a week the whole time so let’s conservatively assume he’s averaged half that across the 7 years. That’s £65k x 52 = £3.4m a year, or £24m over 7 years. Now assume half goes in tax, that’s £12m net earnings in his career (and it’s probably more than that given he was at Bolton and Villa 4 years each before that).

Most prem players nowadays will have top class financial advice too. Anyone who has earnt 8 figures and followed that advice should have been able to double their money by investing in stocks or property. Pure speculation of course, but it wouldn’t be surprising if he had a net worth in the £20m+ range.

So I guess if he had an offer from Wednesday of £20k a week (£500k after tax per year), or an offer from a lower prem team of £70k a week (£1.75m after tax per year), it’s not completely unrealistic to think he might choose us if he always wanted to play for us. Yes the numbers will be much less, but when you put it into context vs how much he’s already worth, the club might mean more to him. Depends completely on the individual of course, but the numbers are all relative so depends how money orientated someone is.

4 hours ago, lukestheman82 said:

Thats why Cahill has played over 200 times for Chelsea and over 50 caps for England... Alot of the time whilst Hector was being farmed out on loan... Despite being 'younger and better'

Anybody saying hector is better than Cahill is talking rubbish . He’s miles off . Cahill would be a quality signing , but for obvious reasons won’t happen. 

* hector is younger than Cahill so credit where it’s due , that bit was correct 

10 hours ago, Jamie_W said:

No, give the money to Hector instead... younger and better.

One of those things is correct.

Just seen the JoC post. ^^

Edited by Guest

It's a shame Cahill is being fazed out at Chelsea.

He's getting towards the later stages of his career now.  But he could still be a regular CB starter for most Premier League sides in the bottom-half of the league table IMO.

A top professional that has won every domestic honour going, plus the UCL in 2012, represented England many times and has never been in the headlines for the wrong reasons.  Hopefully he will remain in the English game after he inevitably moves from Chelsea.

Of course, he wouldn't touch Wednesday with a barge pole.  Why would he?  And even in the unlikely scenario that Cahill would fancy dropping down to the Championship, with possible P&S sanctions looming on us, he would never sign for Wednesday anyway given the big wages a player of Cahill's pedigree would command.

Guest The Horse

I'd like to think that as fan and supporter of SWFC all my life, that if I was a Premier League player widing down my career, I'd like to see it out at the club I love.
But I'd also weigh up Sheffield vs retiring early on my massive wedge of millions in some sunny paradise.
Or MLS.
Or China for some final gazillions.
The thought of playing in Sheffield from October to March doesn't quite hold the romantic vision very long then.

12 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

If he's put of contract at the end of the season and will exept a huge wage decrease then may not be a bad stop gap for a couple of seasons. 

I don't remember him missing much football due to injuries and keeps himself quite fit. 

Also if you remember Bruce had Dawson at an older age marshaling and captaining his promotion winning Hull side. I'm not a fan of signing old crocks like we have been, but in Bruce's judgement I'll trust. 

Who are these old crocks we keep signing ?

Any actually in their 30s when we signed them ?

13 minutes ago, the monk said:

Who are these old crocks we keep signing ?

Any actually in their 30s when we signed them ?

Wouldn't call Boyd & Jones crocks, but I did think when we bought them that we should have gone for players who had more than a couple of years still left in them. 

• Thanks 1

It baffles me how some think we are in a position to sign a ex England international who will be on a fortune at Chelsea.

We'll be lucky if we can sign players at all if we don't go up, it'll be a selling start to the summer (3 or 4 of our better players out) and when if at all we satisfy FFP we'll be left with the dregs who are still available.

Don't get me wrong , I think Steve Bruce is the man to take us forward but he's going to have to shop at Lidl not Waitrose for the time being.

11 hours ago, lukestheman82 said:

Have to agree. Dont think Juventus or Monaco have been in for Hector. If Cahill came for the love of the club and say a 25k a week fee would snap him up. In todays football world dont see it happening though. He could be the new Mick Lyons.