Jump to content
Lord Snooty

Dream Team Part 1 - Goalkeeper

Owlstalk Dream team  

250 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

 

  "So Stubbs, they have spoken. It's to be a traditional 4-4-2."

  "Makes things simpler then, Sir."

  "Hopefully, because I'm starting to think I might have bitten off more than I can chew here. Anyway now we move on to the players starting with the custodians of the onion bag. There's been some greats, some flappers. Some inbetweeners.I've stuck the main guns in. 50 appearances or more. Also there's no loan signings in here. Though some did make a good impression whilst here."

  "Seems fair enough Sir. You'll not please everyone of course"

  "No. But there we go. It creates the debate. Anyway. Off we go. Cast your votes people. Who will get the Owlstalk dream team number one, green jersey?

And it will be green too. As it should be. Same as bloody referees should wear bloody black. It's the simiple things they mess with that really get my goat. Needless changes! And don't start me on the bloody needles use of away kit use."

  "They're aren't away kits now ,Sir. They're change strips"

  "I don't care what they f*cking well call them! They're away kits!"

  "Coffee,Sir?"

  "I think I'd better"

 

image.png.f22b740a0b7e0203900f8dc87bfedf68.png

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember seeing Kevin Pressman with a huge plate of fried grub in Damon's in the early 90's, that lad could put it away let me tell you!

 

Great keeper though...

 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the other positions will have options dating back before the 50/60s. Over 150 years: are you sure that the first 90 years didn't produce a goalie of note?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see you've got the dead raving needle about the away kit then.:biggrin:

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

  "So Stubbs, they have spoken. It's to be a traditional 4-4-2."

  "Makes things simpler then, Sir."

  "Hopefully, because I'm starting to think I might have bitten off more than I can chew here. Anyway now we move on to the players starting with the custodians of the onion bag. There's been some greats, some flappers. Some inbetweeners.I've stuck the main guns in. 50 appearances or more. Also there's no loan signings in here. Though some did make a good impression whilst here."

  "Seems fair enough Sir. You'll not please everyone of course"

  "No. But there we go. It creates the debate. Anyway. Off we go. Cast your votes people. Who will get the Owlstalk dream team number one, green jersey?

And it will be green too. As it should be. Same as bloody referees should wear bloody black. It's the simiple things they mess with that really get my goat. Needless changes! And don't start me on the bloody needles use of away kit use."

  "They're aren't away kits now ,Sir. They're change strips"

  "I don't care what they f*cking well call them! They're away kits!"

  "Coffee,Sir?"

  "I think I'd better"

 

image.png.f22b740a0b7e0203900f8dc87bfedf68.png

Gone for sentimental value on this one, can just remember watching ron springett, you could say it was the start of my journey supporting the owls.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tamworthowl said:

I hope the other positions will have options dating back before the 50/60s. Over 150 years: are you sure that the first 90 years didn't produce a goalie of note?

 

Players we've seen play!

I know that one or two of the chaps on here in the science section have time machines Tammers, but we have to think of those that don't!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Ola Tidman? :duntmatter:

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to the right back poll....

  • Agree 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There can only be one

 

World cup winner Ron Springett

 

Every other position is Roland Nilsson

  • Agree 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm far too young to have seen Ron Springett who is probably the most legendary keeper the club has had, so I've got to go for Martin Hodge. Amazingly consistent and a key part of the team that got promoted and then became established in the top flight, saved penalties at Anfield and Old Trafford and only dropped a couple of clangers towards the end of his time here, holds the club record for consecutive appearances that will probably never be beaten, and it's a travesty that he didn't go to the World Cup in 1986. And he kept goal with bare hands.
 
Big shouts out for Pressman and Westwood, but Hodge will always get in my best Wednesday XI.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Tank_owl said:

No Ola Tidman? :duntmatter:

Boooo

:Sid:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

There can only be one

 

World cup winner Ron Springett

 

Every other position is Roland Nilsson

What about number 9?

lol

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

Looking forward to the right back poll....

Ray Blackhall

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ron Springett = Legend Hodge - just before my time.

Only real memory of Chris Turner is him tipping Mark Hugh's header over the bar at Wembley in 1991..

 

So, only 3 real choices for me, Pressman, Woods & Westwood.

 

Woods - for all the good games he had, can't really forget the shambles he made of Andy Linighen's header in FA Cup in 1993.

 

Opting for Pressman, purely as he was in Premier League, where Westwood hasn't had the chance proven himself (although I'm certain he could)..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mrs Blenkinsops shed said:

No Peter Grummitt?

 

 

image.png.82af6eaea2d1ed2f326fc71b958011e8.png

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

There can only be one

 

World cup winner Ron Springett

 

Every other position is Roland Nilsson

 

Ron Springett for me, too.

 

This was at a time when Gordon Banks, undoubtedly the best keeper in the world, just shaded the Wednesday keeper within the England '66 World Cup winning squad. The only other keeper at the time who came close to these two was Soviet keeper, Lev Yashin, another world class talent and a joy to watch but not as good as Springett or Banks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

Players we've seen play!

I know that one or two of the chaps on here in the science section have time machines Tammers, but we have to think of those that don't!

 

Fair enough.

 

But it could be a bit depressing for our younger (under 20) fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

 

Fair enough.

 

But it could be a bit depressing for our younger (under 20) fans. 

 

The young 'uns are going to get revenge for Brexit by voting Liam Palmer in at right back

 

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...