U18s | v Coventry City match updates

6 hours ago, MartinOwlMan said:

Elliot Vassalo. Maltese sounding name... is he Maltese? I'm a Malta Owl so this is of interest.

Thank you for all these updates

Hi Martin, The Vella Family settled in Sheffield after the war. Some of the lads were decent footballers. Then a few years ago I saw a Vella appear on a few Malta team sheets. Wondered if he was a family relation ? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Hi Martin, The Vella Family settled in Sheffield after the war. Some of the lads were decent footballers. Then a few years ago I saw a Vella appear on a few Malta team sheets. Wondered if he was a family relation ? 

I have the Vasalo name down from the States in the 1800’s and also from Scotland as well.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

15 hours ago, John O'Brien said:

I have the Vasalo name down from the States in the 1800’s and also from Scotland as well.

Vassalo and Vella are both pretty common names in Malta. Not surprising to see Vella on Maltese team sheets. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the US and Scottish families have Maltese ancestry