Middlesboro...

6 hours ago, alanharper said:

Ironic that the Boro owner is bleating about us spending a lot - whilst they haven't technically broken FFP rules and in the two years since relegation have posted a £7m profit followed by a £6.4m loss, they've done this whilst receiving the PL money for a year followed by parachute payments of around £75m - so they've actually spent/lost way more than we have.

He wasn’t bothered by the possibility of us having P&S issues when he sold us Reach and Rhodes? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

The Thai food group are related to two clubs in our league ourselves and Reading.

Have a read of the below this seems to suggest that both clubs are owned by related business entities, the sons of major players at the Thai food group his brother is one of the senior players in the group and it suggest a love of English football in China which make the lack of any investment seem even stranger. As we could have the John West Hillsborough stadium and a few million quid into the club each season but not even a few advertising boards. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3203892/Two-Thai-brothers-fortunes-fish-sons-hooked-Sheffield-Wednesday-Reading.html

That was published in 2015 and still no sign of any interest from DC's family or TUF, so would suggest it's just wishful thinking.

14 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

That was published in 2015 and still no sign of any interest from DC's family or TUF, so would suggest it's just wishful thinking.

It was more to show the link with our chairman and the Thai food group.

DC has no involvement with the company but his brother and his dad do.

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

But I still can't see TUF investing if they don't get any benefit from it.

14 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I have stated numerous times on here why Thai Union Group would not be interested, at this time anyway although I suspect never. But none of what I said would stop DC's other family members getting involved if they so wished. They all have private wealth outside T.U.G. and certainly, his father and brother have significant holdings in a number of other private companies that could enter into commercial agreements with the club. DC has been involved now since 2015 and there is no indication that is going to happen. Given the recent problems related to P & S, if they could see genuine potential in Sheffield Wednesday, I certainly would have expected them to get involved by now. They could, at the drop of hat, significantly increase the club's commercial turnover.

What is more enlightening to me is there is no evidence that DC's father or brother have even made the effort to attend a match (as far as I know). I wouldn't expect them to be regular attenders but, if they were interested in the club, I would think once or twice a year wouldn't be out of the question. They fly into the UK to meet Thai Union subsidiary company executives. What's to stop them staying over and taking in a match every now then? 

4 hours ago, Quist said:

The rules are not same for all in the league, parachute payments are a form of income like any other yet they are exempted which gives any team in receipt of them a huge advantage over the others. It is a stupid situation where you are trying to have a level playing field but effectively giving several teams equivalent of a points bonus before a ball is kicked. The current rules also favour those teams who are situated where extra revenue can easily be generated, which works against Wednesday and in favour of others whose grounds are far more commercial. There are only two options scrap parachute payments all together (perhaps except for original members of premier league who have never received them) or scrap the P&S as it stands as it is completely unworkable and has not been properly thought through.

Parachute payments are the big issue which makes it unfair. They were brought in to help cover the cost of wages having been in the PL. What (like what Newcastle did) if you sell your big earners for good money which removes them from the wage bill. You’re then being given a parachute payment as a form of bonus. For me it should be deferred until the following Summer then paid as a percentage of overspend on wages. It doesn’t always have to add up to 40 million. Whoever came up with that figure needs their head examining!

45 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

I have stated numerous times on here why Thai Union Group would not be interested, at this time anyway although I suspect never. But none of what I said would stop DC's other family members getting involved if they so wished. They all have private wealth outside T.U.G. and certainly, his father and brother have significant holdings in a number of other private companies that could enter into commercial agreements with the club. DC has been involved now since 2015 and there is no indication that is going to happen. Given the recent problems related to P & S, if they could see genuine potential in Sheffield Wednesday, I certainly would have expected them to get involved by now. They could, at the drop of hat, significantly increase the club's commercial turnover.

What is more enlightening to me is there is no evidence that DC's father or brother have even made the effort to attend a match (as far as I know). I wouldn't expect them to be regular attenders but, if they were interested in the club, I would think once or twice a year wouldn't be out of the question. They fly into the UK to meet Thai Union subsidiary company executives. What's to stop them staying over and taking in a match every now then? 

I still remember when DC was unveiled. Wasn’t there a TUG logo on a banner behind him? What a red herring that turned out to be.

Found it!

6F461708-4540-4B01-BAB8-227934D7F4AC.jpeg

Edited by Junk Smuggler

Guest Hirst1867
1 hour ago, Junk Smuggler said:

I still remember when DC was unveiled. Wasn’t there a TUG logo on a banner behind him? What a red herring that turned out to be.

Found it!

6F461708-4540-4B01-BAB8-227934D7F4AC.jpeg

Not herring. Tuna

This selling the ground lark could be risky on the face of it. However, a club could sell it to an investor, who then gifts it back to the club and the club still own it whilst pocketing the money. They could do this every year with different or the same investors and I don't see any way that would be stopped until the EFL say its not allowed to show on your accounts. Which they'll do just before we try it and after 11 other clubs have got away with it. 

Guest Hirst1867
5 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

This selling the ground lark could be risky on the face of it. However, a club could sell it to an investor, who then gifts it back to the club and the club still own it whilst pocketing the money. They could do this every year with different or the same investors and I don't see any way that would be stopped until the EFL say its not allowed to show on your accounts. Which they'll do just before we try it and after 11 other clubs have got away with it. 

Unless we act now 

16 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

I would suggest that, if corporate entities or even high wealth individuals start buying assets then gifting them back to the original owner, it might start raising a few eyebrows at organisations that wield far more power and influence than the EFL. 

19 hours ago, room0035 said:

The Thai food group are related to two clubs in our league ourselves and Reading.

Have a read of the below this seems to suggest that both clubs are owned by related business entities, the sons of major players at the Thai food group his brother is one of the senior players in the group and it suggest a love of English football in China which make the lack of any investment seem even stranger. As we could have the John West Hillsborough stadium and a few million quid into the club each season but not even a few advertising boards. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3203892/Two-Thai-brothers-fortunes-fish-sons-hooked-Sheffield-Wednesday-Reading.html

That guy has since sold most of his stake in Reading to Dai Yongge from China.

On 15/04/2019 at 22:42, SiJ said:

So he's asking for an investigation into three teams who have a chance of the playoffs. 

Must be a coincidence. 

yeah! it's like he wants to get their backs up, so his shithole lot can get knocked out by just about everyone else.

but let's be fair, that was the likely scenario before he said owt.

On 16/04/2019 at 07:24, latemodelchild said:

If we've broke the rules we will be punished. Gibson doesn't need to be grassing us up and moaning, the EFL will look at our accounts the way they'll look at every team. He's deflecting. 

'we've failed, but it's ALL THEIR fault not mine'.

On 15/04/2019 at 22:37, TrickyTrev said:

To ask for an investigation into us, Aston Villa and Derby County.

I suppose it’s very easy to preach about FFP when you have the luxury of parachute payments.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/04/15/middlesbrough-chairman-steve-gibson-pushes-efl-investigate-rivals/

Perhaps if we had players worth £30m we could sell them as asset's.

We haven't, but we can sell one asset, the ground.

What's the difference?.