Middlesboro...

55 minutes ago, striker said:

In the spirit of fair competition parachute payments are unfair, but compliant in terms of the rules. 

In the spirit of FFP/P&S some of the practices used may be creative, but still compliant in terms of the rules.

While I dont agree with Gibson, do feel a change in the rules is required, preferably to significantly increase the loss limit to allow clubs to compete with those with parachute payments for a start.

In Rugby league they tried to use just a straight across the board salary cap. 

The problem was the bigger teams like St Helens or Wigan especially just breached it anyway time and again and took the fine. 

Then they came up with a club by club  based system by viewing income and expenditure and taking into account profit etc. 

This means ech club has their own personnel expenditure threshold for transfers and wages meaning the more commercially viable and bigger fan base the more money they can spend. 

Yes it means it does kind of unbalance things a bit, but the teams like Castleford, Huddersfield that have Been clever with their dealings and up at the top and the Leeds and Co that arnt have been struggling even though they can spend more. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

3 hours ago, Hirst1867 said:

Why would you take a 9 point hit?

Wouldn't you rather the Chairman sold the stadium and leased back like Derby? Within the rules, fixes FFP, no embargo and allows us to spend like mad in the summer?

Spending like mad is what put us in this situation.

3 hours ago, the monk said:

Remember when they were paying top dollar ,they signed all the big hitters, Ravanelli ,Gascoine Merson  and the like and had Robson flown up in a helicopter every day in charge of them 

When that was clearly going belly up he ships in Venables to help out in a relegation scrap

He then plumps for "how you say" Maclaren and funnily enough that went wrong 

Hes since blown 3 years of parachute payments 

Hes now unhappy about not having a level playing field 

In short hes thrown billions at that club trying to make it something it's not 

The phrase 'you can't polish a turd' springs to mind.

Although it's not all doom and gloom in Teeside, I'm sure they always show up well in Viz and early editions of Britains Crap Towns. 

• Haha 1

Maybe if there was a level playing field we could all believe is fair then these arguments wouldn't arise it's time the whole system was overhauled. 

And we should support that kind of approach 

4 hours ago, Hirst1867 said:

Chairman who complied with rules angry about other clubs who haven't

Not a great surprise is it? I'm sure the majority of those criticising Gibson would be up in arms if the situation was reversed

Not the issue is it.

We are obviously being investigated by the EFL for our compliance with FFP . This ongoing investigation is line with the rules of FFP and is continuing following our soft embargo in the summer.

So in this respect we are working within the rules and he appears to want the EFL to carry out something different , outside the rules, simply because his club have made a mess of this season .

• Like 1

Guest Hirst1867
13 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

So in this respect we are working within the rules and he appears to want the EFL to carry out something different , outside the rules, simply because his club have made a mess of this season .

Image result for jumping to conclusion gif

The whole system isn't fit for purpose.

Yes, it is in meant to be in place to stop clubs from going out of business, but before you know half the Championship will have teams on some sort of points deduction.

You've got clubs like Derby flogging their ground in order to comply. Is that really in their best long-term interests?

Then of course we have a two tier system, because certain clubs receive four years worth of parachute payment.

It's also ripe for exploitation - from those who want to circumvent the rules, to those who want to use said rules to gain an advantage, which is what Gibson is trying to do.  

Guest Hirst1867

So if Chansiri announced that he was selling Hillsborough to his Dad for £50m - giving us a war kitty to buy our way into the Prem - with a buy-back option once we get into the Prem - would you go for it then?

Guest mkowl
5 minutes ago, Hirst1867 said:

So if Chansiri announced that he was selling Hillsborough to his Dad for £50m - giving us a war kitty to buy our way into the Prem - with a buy-back option once we get into the Prem - would you go for it then?

NO 

18 minutes ago, Hirst1867 said:

No. What happens if we fail to get to the Premier League?

Guest Hirst1867
1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

No. What happens if we fail to get to the Premier League?

Club 1867 v3.0 ?

Edited by Hirst1867

9 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Unfortunately he has a point. The FFP / P&S are a pain in the rectum but the rules must apply to all clubs in the league. You're going to get teams that gamble somewhat and fail (as only 3 teams can get promoted).

Something has to be done about the parachute payments though - maybe a deferral to be paid at the end of the following season based on the annul wage budget. It can't be seen to be used to boost promotion hopes for a relegated club. When Newcastle last came down they made good money selling the likes of Sissoko etc then bought their way back up buying Gayle etc.

When you go out on a limb against others which he’s supposedly doing then you’ve got to make sure you’re whiter than white? I’d love to see his viewpoint if his club ever start to struggle to stay within the parameters of P&S?

Guest Ash76
5 hours ago, Hirst1867 said:

All of that is subjective

Lets deal in facts. Would you bebothered?

Lets deal in facts and answer me this hypothetical question 

3 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

We broke ffp rules. We're gonna be under investigation on some level. 

I guess as fans we'll feel sorry for ourselves and find it unjust but would we or were we saying the same about other clubs doing it? 

We can only blame ourselves in reality.

We broke the rules and were placed under an embargo, I think that’s fair enough and no doubt the EFL will pay particular attention to our accounts and cost cutting measures going forward.

I don’t really see an issue with any of that.

The thing the gets me though is that Gibson is a hypocrite of the highest order. Here’s a man who gave Boro losses of £32m getting them promoted, he’s given them losses of over £120m over the last 10 years and gained an unfair advantage via the parachute payments over every other club in the league by doing so.

Now however, because Boro’s season is going down the sh***er he’s trying to use these rules to not only deflect from his own failings but also see other clubs punished for spending far less than he spent trying to gain promotion.

As I say, he’s a first class hypocrite.

My main takeaway from profit and sustainability is no one knows what's going on.

Plenty of times the supposed experts on here have got it wrong. No one predicted us getting out of the transfer embargo last August.

What will be will be, but it's pretty blatant what Gibson is up to here. Some will go along with it maintaining the integrity of the competition, but what he's quite clesrly trying to do is have near rivals docked points at a critical stage of the season. 

I find it a bit laughable that the EFL aren't scrutinizing ours and other accounts already.