Middlesboro...

Unfortunately he has a point. The FFP / P&S are a pain in the rectum but the rules must apply to all clubs in the league. You're going to get teams that gamble somewhat and fail (as only 3 teams can get promoted).

Something has to be done about the parachute payments though - maybe a deferral to be paid at the end of the following season based on the annul wage budget. It can't be seen to be used to boost promotion hopes for a relegated club. When Newcastle last came down they made good money selling the likes of Sissoko etc then bought their way back up buying Gayle etc.

He's looking ahead at it from the position of getting promoted next season as they've blown it and won't be going up, but in all probability neither will us villa or Derby. 

I hate to say it, but most likely outcome will be Leeds, Norwich and piggies go up. 

Therefore knowing Derby, villa and ourselves will be very strong competition next season for top six, he's trying to get the three of us embargoed or starring with minus points, lessening our threat to the top of the table. 

Guest Hirst1867

Chairman who complied with rules angry about other clubs who haven't

Not a great surprise is it? I'm sure the majority of those criticising Gibson would be up in arms if the situation was reversed

I'm sick of clubs that have benefitted from parachute payments moaning about level playing fields. Its time the chairmen got together and told the league the field needs to be properly levelled. We can't lose more than 39m in 3 years while other clubs receive that amount and more in pp. Its totally unfair. The Leeds chairman was vocal about it last season but strangely has gone quiet. No doubt mcsue will have summat to say if united don't go up. Gibson is just trying to gain an advantage for boro after wasting their advantage for the last 3 years. 

EFL, FFP, P and S, whatever it is, is not fit for purpose and this league isn't fair. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hirst1867 said:

Chairman who complied with rules angry about other clubs who haven't

Not a great surprise is it? I'm sure the majority of those criticising Gibson would be up in arms if the situation was reversed

If we've broke the rules we will be punished. Gibson doesn't need to be grassing us up and moaning, the EFL will look at our accounts the way they'll look at every team. He's deflecting. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Unfortunately he has a point. The FFP / P&S are a pain in the rectum but the rules must apply to all clubs in the league. You're going to get teams that gamble somewhat and fail (as only 3 teams can get promoted).

Something has to be done about the parachute payments though - maybe a deferral to be paid at the end of the following season based on the annul wage budget. It can't be seen to be used to boost promotion hopes for a relegated club. When Newcastle last came down they made good money selling the likes of Sissoko etc then bought their way back up buying Gayle etc.

Newcastle United are definitely an outliner though; a real exception to the norm.

Not many clubs that regularly get 50,000 fans turning up every week end up in the Championship.  Like you stated, in the summer transfer window straight after they went down, the club sold Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Townsend, Janmaat, Cabella and Papiss Cisse for circa €100 million (seriously, how the hell did McClaren get that team relegated!).

They also released Cheik Tiote, Coloccini, and Steven Taylor (all Premier League regulars on big salaries at the time) on free transfers in the same window, so Benitez had to totally rebuild their team that summer, which isn’t easy post-relegation when the club is in total turmoil.

So it’s not like Newcastle just ‘bought their way back up’ in 2016/17.  They lost all of their high value assets that summer and had to rebuild.

I think Newcastle might still be in the Championship now had it not been for Benitez’s exceptional transfer strategy and squad management.  Not because of parachute payments.

13 minutes ago, BD2OWL said:

To be fair, I would take the 9 point deduction right now! 

If it wipes the slate clean I agree. I'm still not sure where Birmingham stand as far as losses go though. Have they had their 39million reset? Or have they just had the losses from the season they've been punished for wiped? Or have they been taken back down to the maximum loss level? Nobody seems to know for sure as far as I've seen. Plenty of stories, no idea which ones are true. 

• Like 1

Guest Hirst1867

Why would you take a 9 point hit?

Wouldn't you rather the Chairman sold the stadium and leased back like Derby? Within the rules, fixes FFP, no embargo and allows us to spend like mad in the summer?

17 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

If it wipes the slate clean I agree. I'm still not sure where Birmingham stand as far as losses go though. Have they had their 39million reset? Or have they just had the losses from the season they've been punished for wiped? Or have they been taken back down to the maximum loss level? Nobody seems to know for sure as far as I've seen. Plenty of stories, no idea which ones are true. 

And there lie part of the problem. I don't think even the ones making the rules have thought it through or know the answer. 

12 minutes ago, Hirst1867 said:

Why would you take a 9 point hit?

Wouldn't you rather the Chairman sold the stadium and leased back like Derby? Within the rules, fixes FFP, no embargo and allows us to spend like mad in the summer?

Save the stadium for after the next round of spending ....

If taking a 9 point hit now when in reality it will cost us nothing then why sell the stadium? 

Guest Hirst1867
1 minute ago, BD2OWL said:

Save the stadium for after the next round of spending ....

If taking a 9 point hit now when in reality it will cost us nothing then why sell the stadium? 

It doesnt clear the books. So no spending possible.

Its a rolling 3 year. 

Remember when they were paying top dollar ,they signed all the big hitters, Ravanelli ,Gascoine Merson  and the like and had Robson flown up in a helicopter every day in charge of them 

When that was clearly going belly up he ships in Venables to help out in a relegation scrap

He then plumps for "how you say" Maclaren and funnily enough that went wrong 

Hes since blown 3 years of parachute payments 

Hes now unhappy about not having a level playing field 

In short hes thrown billions at that club trying to make it something it's not 

Guest Hirst1867

^^ Jeez - how far back do you want to go??

Hes within the rules. We arent.

We also made a real hash of our finances under the old Board and had to be rescued by Mandaric from going out of business.