Guest Kagoshimaowl
21 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

nuhiu

100 per cent. Gives us something different. Also Winnall and Rhodes will potentially get us more money in the transfer market 

8 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

I don't see him as too different to Billy Blunt to be honest, he seems to do alright, due to the large number of crosses raining in from the byline.

Sharp works twice as hard as Rhodes - Sharp constantly works the channels and when not doing that, he’s dropping deep and linking midfield to attack. Sharp is never still, he’s like a “pain in the arse” terrier fvvcking snapping away at the opposition and the officials.  Whenever I’ve seen the Pigs, Sharp gets through a lot of work pressing the opposition defence - I’ve rarely seen Rhodes do that. 

The comparison between Rhodes and fat boy is flawed imho. 

7 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I think Rhodes just doesn’t suit the type of football played now. The modern era forward of the last decade has had to bring a lot more than goal-scoring to the team and in this respect, Rhodes is very different - he’s is patently a forward and offers nothing more than goals; he is the archetypical passenger when he isn’t scoring. Power to him that he has forged a career in football though. 

Wherever he’s played, he’s been accused of either being too lightweight and/or only interested in scoring goals; I worked with ‘Udders fans, a Blackburn fan and a Boro fan who all told me as much - the ‘Udders fans loved him but considered him a player for the lower leagues and the Boro fan and Blackburn fan were glad to get shut. It sounded like he was the “Nuhiu” at their clubs as he was “loved and hated” in equal measure. 

I would love Rhodes to return and score the goals we need but I just can’t see him doing that. 

Sorry. 

Don't be sorry mate, it's what forums are about.  I completely agree with you with regard to the modern forward.  However, I disagree with Udders fans and Blackburn fans assessments.  Huddersfield didn't get to see him play in the Championship and if Blackburn fans were glad to get shut of a bloke who scored 20+ goals a season for them 3 seasons on the bounce then they are pining for Shearer and Sutton  too much.  His mistake was going to Middlesborough, that killed his confidence.  I don't care if he never leaves the penalty area.  I just want him to rediscover the knack of sticking the ball in the back of the net when it drops to him, its not like we have an abundance of that in the team now or even recently.

6 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

Don't be sorry mate, it's what forums are about.  I completely agree with you with regard to the modern forward.  However, I disagree with Udders fans and Blackburn fans assessments.  Huddersfield didn't get to see him play in the Championship and if Blackburn fans were glad to get shut of a bloke who scored 20+ goals a season for them 3 seasons on the bounce then they are pining for Shearer and Sutton  too much.  His mistake was going to Middlesborough, that killed his confidence.  I don't care if he never leaves the penalty area.  I just want him to rediscover the knack of sticking the ball in the back of the net when it drops to him, its not like we have an abundance of that in the team now or even recently.

It wasn’t all of their fans according to my Blackburn fan workmate. As I mentioned, Rhodes sounded very much the Atdhe Nuhiu figure at Blackburn (and Boro) where some loved him and some didn’t - my Blackburn mate described as something like “Mr Marmite” and said he would get pelters from the stands for not working hard. 

I’d loved Rhodes to return the player we know he can be but he just looks like a player treading water until he retires to me. Very harsh comment there from me but he’s done little to convince me otherwise. 

The OP was IF we had to keep one.  As it stands none of the 3 are kicking the door down for a place in the squad.  We'll see what happens, I think Bruce will take a look at Rhodes in pre season, but it won't surprise me in the least if we loan him out again. 

Winnall has been poor for Wednesday, it's just not worked out for him here, same goes for Rhodes.

I think we can get a fee for winnall. Probably not for Rhodes.

Of the three I reckon we will start next season with Nuhiu and Rhodes.

Winnall will go to a rival for about 3 million.

35 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Sharp works twice as hard as Rhodes - Sharp constantly works the channels and when not doing that, he’s dropping deep and linking midfield to attack. Sharp is never still, he’s like a “pain in the arse” terrier fvvcking snapping away at the opposition and the officials.  Whenever I’ve seen the Pigs, Sharp gets through a lot of work pressing the opposition defence - I’ve rarely seen Rhodes do that. 

This all day long, comparing Sharp with Rhodes is a none event....as much as I hate to say it!

37 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Sharp is primarily a poacher, finishing isn't something that can be easily taught, you either have the instinct or you don't. I'm not disputing that Sharp works hard, but it is much easier to press and harry when you have 4 midfielders, 2 full backs and a couple of Centre Halfs on the flanks pushing as well, Rhodes chases around, then about 40 yards back the rest of our side are just fannying around.

Rhodes would score plenty for the Pigs, Sharp would struggle to score here.

2 hours ago, spike1867 said:

Yeah, but strikers work on confidence.  His was shot.  I still think he was badly managed, asked to play a role that wasn't suited to him, with tactics that were bland to say the least.  I think Bruce will look at him, work on him and then make a decision.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he ends up gone or on loan again, but in my honest opinion I'd just like to see what a good coaching team and manager do with him and see if Bruce can put the right players around him. 

I agree, but hes had a good coaching team at Norwich, better than ours if the table is anything to go by and he hasnt done a geeat deal there either

2 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

I don't see him as too different to Billy Blunt to be honest, he seems to do alright, due to the large number of crosses raining in from the byline.

Jordan Rhodes hasn’t been a first team regular starter since he left Blackburn in January 2016.

He’s played under 4 different managers in that time... Karanka, Carlos, Jos and Farke.

Have all those 4 managers got it wrong about him?

On 15/04/2019 at 13:38, dorian gray said:

if bruce was to keep one of winnall, nuhiu, or rhodes which one would you want to see retained?

Would love to be able to move on all 3.

None of them are going to take us forward. 

At a push, i’d keep Winnall.

Rhodes is a spent force and doesn’t offer enough in his all round game.  We are unlikely to be in a position to be able to afford to have a striker in the team that is nothing more than a poacher. 

With Nuhiu, it is really just time to move him on. I am sure we can find better options out there.

Winnall, has energy and a good work rate and is capable on his day and would do as a back-up.

As I say, ideally I’d move on all 3 though. 

2 minutes ago, nilsson said:

Jordan Rhodes hasn’t been a first team regular starter since he left Blackburn in January 2016.

He’s played under 4 different managers in that time... Karanka, Carlos, Jos and Farke.

Have all those 4 managers got it wrong about him?

Nope, but 2 played anti football, 1 wanted to play him without any supply and Farke stumbled upon Pukki who up until this year had a scoring record like Nuhiu.  So I'd say it was a more accurate statement to say that he's not been utilised correctly.  It was always my first thought that Karanka bought him to stop any of the other teams around him getting him that January window.  I'm not going to get into a slanging match over him, but here's another way of looking at it.  This season at Norwich, he averages a league goal every 166 minutes according to Transfermarkt, which was his scoring rate at Blackburn, Fletcher has a slightly worse average than that and Joao slightly better.  He's also been in the squad 40 times, so injury free.  If he played the same amount of time Fletcher has this season, my guess is he'd be up around 14-15 goals at this stage. 

He hasn't been used correctly since he left Blackburn.  I'm not saying that he's going to be our saviour.  Wednesday fans want another DEH, I'd settle for a Micky Quinn if he put the ball in the back of the net off his large derriere 25 times a season. 

On 15/04/2019 at 13:47, Dunkstar said:

If money isn't the deciding factor and we're playing 4-4-2 then its Rhodes for for me. He's still got that goalscoring  potential at this level in the right system and I think a pairing with Fletcher could work. However if wages are brought into it then you probably get the most bang for your buck from Nuhiu. Not as a regular obviously but hes a good option from the bench to mix things up. Winnall is neither one thing or the other, works hard but hasn't really shown a great deal in his time with us and Bruce clearly doesn't see  him as anything other than a bit part player at best.

So in reality....probably Nuhiu.

I figure fletcher from his wage is unlikely to be going anywhere, his from (since bruce took over) makes him a must first choice when available. so any additional forward yet to be acquired (for me) must have speed, a shot on him, and be a good finisher.

who ever would be back up to those two (if those two are to be selected) would only be a 'bit part player'.

out of the 3 I would 'expect' winnall to be the most all round player. also any money gained from the sale of winnall would be low end, and could a better replacement be found for that equal amount of money, or are we to spend money on a 'third choice' striker when money is clearly needed in other more important areas of the team?

On 15/04/2019 at 13:50, jomaco said:

tough one, if we can't recoup the money then I'll go for rhodes, otherwise Nuhiu

Rhodes has the biggest potential to score us the goals we need, if we can't get the money to buy someone with a better chance of that then the likelihood is we'll keep him (reckon we'll keep Nuhiu also though)

how long has it been since rhodes was seriously considered as a 'big hammer' in this division? (apart from us buying him of course).

On 15/04/2019 at 14:04, shezzas left peg said:

It all boils down to who we may be able to sell. 

I know a few managers do rate Nuhiu, karanka was one of those that sings his praises along with pullis. 

Winnall would probably fit one of the promoted sides or a Blackburn /Bolton. 

Rhodes is the one I think will probably still be here next season as I'm not sure anyone will stump up cash for him.. 

If we're being realistic I expect joao & Nando to go before them and maybe hoopers contract not renewed and Bruce bringing a quick forward in. 

at present that looks like the 'realistic' scenario.

12 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

They all need to go.  Even when Rhodes and Winnall were scoring loads of goals for Championship clubs (Blackburn/ Barnsley), the team themselves weren't performing great?  WHY - their all round game other than goals does not contribute to the team, first touch, ball retention, physicality.  Look at Hooper vs either Rhodes or Winnall, he's a footballing genius who can pop up at the right place and right time and score his fair share of goals and makes the team tick.

Look at Villa - they have Tammy Abraham, Kodija who are light years ahead of anything we have.  Fletcher is a good target man and decent all rounder but misses too many.  I genuinely believe had he scored a greater share of his 'clear' chances this season we'd be sat in a play off place.

So - if possible clear them all out other than Joao and Hooper and start again.  We need a quick, mobile, powerful lead striker to go alongside Hooper.  The irony is Joao has all the attributes to be this man but is lazy and blows hot and cold.  Maybe he just needs 20 games in the side without being dropped to get up to the consistency required.

I'm just praying Bruce has the same view as the thought of Jordan Rhodes running round with his limp wrists doing nothing apart from thumbs up, fills me and SWFC accountants with dread.

I very much doubt that anyone will take on fletcher's salary.

as for hooper, yes very skilful indeed, BUT IF we are to rid ourselves of our 'dated tiptap' build up, and move the ball with more urgency then we need a support forward who can get from a to b quickly, and hooper cannot do that, and another season on  may well have a no better injury record, for those two reasons, I figure he'll be going.