Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
3 hours ago, bobness said:

Is this because the loss would reflect immediately, whereas the purchase cost can be spread across several years?

There are people on here with a much better understanding of the rules than me, but I do believe that’s the case. 

Edited by HillsboroughOwlNI

They all need to go.  Even when Rhodes and Winnall were scoring loads of goals for Championship clubs (Blackburn/ Barnsley), the team themselves weren't performing great?  WHY - their all round game other than goals does not contribute to the team, first touch, ball retention, physicality.  Look at Hooper vs either Rhodes or Winnall, he's a footballing genius who can pop up at the right place and right time and score his fair share of goals and makes the team tick.

Look at Villa - they have Tammy Abraham, Kodija who are light years ahead of anything we have.  Fletcher is a good target man and decent all rounder but misses too many.  I genuinely believe had he scored a greater share of his 'clear' chances this season we'd be sat in a play off place.

So - if possible clear them all out other than Joao and Hooper and start again.  We need a quick, mobile, powerful lead striker to go alongside Hooper.  The irony is Joao has all the attributes to be this man but is lazy and blows hot and cold.  Maybe he just needs 20 games in the side without being dropped to get up to the consistency required.

I'm just praying Bruce has the same view as the thought of Jordan Rhodes running round with his limp wrists doing nothing apart from thumbs up, fills me and SWFC accountants with dread.

Edited by DuttyTeabags
greater share

Bruce is known as a man manager who gives his players confidence can he turn Rhodes into the player we all wanted him to be?

id go with Nuhiu though he’s got the height what we need is pace and they all lack it plus Bruce seems to bring attey on slot 

Nuhiu still offers that “something different” from the bench when needed.

Think we’ve seen enough of Rhodes to know there’s nothing doing there and hasn’t been for about 3 seasons.

Winnall just hasn’t had the opportunity with us to show what he can do, but Bruce hasn’t been keen to put him in so I can only assume there is something he doesn’t like 

Guest Hirst1867
34 minutes ago, taylorslandlord said:
If a picture paints a thousand words, then why can't I paint you? 
The words will never show, the you I've come to know. 
If a face could launch a thousand ships, then where am I to go? 
there's no one home but you, You're all that's left me too.… 

Image result for telly savalas

19 hours ago, spike1867 said:

Again if money isn't a factor and the recruitment across the team is better, then Rhodes.  We have just never partnered Rhodes with the right players.  Put quality out wide to deliver the ball, a runner in midfield to get beyond the strikers and I still think he would score plenty. 

I lost count of the free headers from 1 yard out he missed last season, he got quality balls played to him, granted not enough, but when he did he fluffed his lines time after time. Hes not good enough

2 hours ago, taylorslandlord said:
If a picture paints a thousand words, then why can't I paint you? 
The words will never show, the you I've come to know. 
If a face could launch a thousand ships, then where am I to go? 
there's no one home but you, You're all that's left me too.… 

A bad song by Bread (who made better songs than this tripe) made worse by Telly Savalas. 

29 minutes ago, chizumgeorge said:

I lost count of the free headers from 1 yard out he missed last season, he got quality balls played to him, granted not enough, but when he did he fluffed his lines time after time. Hes not good enough

Yeah, but strikers work on confidence.  His was shot.  I still think he was badly managed, asked to play a role that wasn't suited to him, with tactics that were bland to say the least.  I think Bruce will look at him, work on him and then make a decision.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he ends up gone or on loan again, but in my honest opinion I'd just like to see what a good coaching team and manager do with him and see if Bruce can put the right players around him. 

16 hours ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

I’d keep Rhodes. I think Bruce’s style of play could get a lot of goals from him. Also, by selling him/giving him away it will be detrimental to our FFP situation.

How many years has he got left on his contract? There can't be that much left to amortize.

34 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

Yeah, but strikers work on confidence.  His was shot.  I still think he was badly managed, asked to play a role that wasn't suited to him, with tactics that were bland to say the least.  I think Bruce will look at him, work on him and then make a decision.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he ends up gone or on loan again, but in my honest opinion I'd just like to see what a good coaching team and manager do with him and see if Bruce can put the right players around him. 

I think Rhodes just doesn’t suit the type of football played now. The modern era forward of the last decade has had to bring a lot more than goal-scoring to the team and in this respect, Rhodes is very different - he’s is patently a forward and offers nothing more than goals; he is the archetypical passenger when he isn’t scoring. Power to him that he has forged a career in football though. 

Wherever he’s played, he’s been accused of either being too lightweight and/or only interested in scoring goals; I worked with ‘Udders fans, a Blackburn fan and a Boro fan who all told me as much - the ‘Udders fans loved him but considered him a player for the lower leagues and the Boro fan and Blackburn fan were glad to get shut. It sounded like he was the “Nuhiu” at their clubs as he was “loved and hated” in equal measure. 

I would love Rhodes to return and score the goals we need but I just can’t see him doing that. 

Sorry. 

Edited by shandypants

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

I think Rhodes just doesn’t suit the type of football played now. The modern era forward of the last decade has had to bring a lot more than goal-scoring to the team and in this respect, Rhodes is very different - he’s is patently a forward and offers nothing more than goals; he is the archetypical passenger when he isn’t scoring. Power to him that he has forged a career in football though. 

Wherever he’s played, he’s been accused of either being too lightweight and/or only interested in scoring goals; I worked with ‘Udders fans, a Blackburn fan and a Boro fan who all told me as much - the ‘Udders fans loved him but considered him a player for the lower leagues and the Boro fan and Blackburn fan were glad to get shut. It sounded like he was the “Nuhiu” at there clubs as he was “loved and hated” in equal measure. 

I would love Rhodes to return and score the goals we need but I just can’t see him doing that. 

Sorry. 

I don't see him as too different to Billy Blunt to be honest, he seems to do alright, due to the large number of crosses raining in from the byline.

Really?  You think Farke and his team are overall a better set up than Steve Bruce, Agnew and Clemence?  I think Norwich have stumbled across a winning formula this year.  Farke first season was meh, some Norwich fans thought they had made a mistake.  Pukki, who has hardly been prolific in his career has hit his career high this season.  My gut feeling is they will be straight back down next season unless they really unearth some gems.  Farke was hardly going to change a winning formula and invest playing time in a player they don't even own.  I bet he couldn't believe his luck when Pukki started finding the net regularly.  They've a good little squad, with a good spirit and some talented players and if anything it shows what this league is all about.  Play a regular, stable side with a good plan A and alternative when it goes awry and you will get out of this league or come very close.  I think we have done exactly the same since Bruce arrived.  If Farke is still at Norwich by the end of next season, he will have done very well.  My best guess is he will end up the same as Wagner.

Anyway back to Rhodes who, whilst ever he remains a player for Sheffield Wednesday Football Club, he will get my support and hopes that he will find his form. If we can't sell him or loan him and recoup the money, is it not better to hope and wish that he finds some confidence and become effectively a new signing?  Or would we rather all sit there and take the wee wee whilst another pile of money goes to waste?