Blast from the past - Chris Brunt

I realise most of these blasts from the pasts might be from before half our fanbase were born so he's a more recent one.

Well, I say recent. The early 2000's seems like about 4 years ago in my head not the 15 of reality. But maybe that's just me picking up speed before I hurtle once and for all off this mortal coil...

Anway....

Chris Brunt

image.png.bdf919c2942429a5037c79472242b2a1.png

Position : Winger

Fee: Free

Apps: 140

Goals : 24

First Game: 17th March 2004
Final Game: 6th May 2007

Belfast born Brunt was a product of Middlesbroughs youth system but the lad hadn't had a sniff of league action when Chris Turner moved to sign him in 2004. Initialy it was short-term deal but quickly was upped to a permanent signing as Brunt signed a two-year contract at Wednesday.

Turner got the boot in September after a run of two defeats and three draws and it was under his succesor Furious Paul Sturrock that Brunt really came to the fore helping us to promotion via the play-offs in that famous Cardiff final against Hartlepool . With a cannon of a left foot, Brunt was a bright spark for Wednesday in what had been a grim few years since relegation from the top flight and a slip down to the third division and as part of the play-off team he was a bit of a star turn with his abilty from set pieces and his ability to spank a long ranger in.

He went on to hit seven goals the following season, finishing the campaign as the club's top goalscorer with 12 goals. However his impressive displays during the 2006–07 season in the Championship saw the sharks circling and him linked with a move away from Hillsborough.

Brunt surprisingly took some stick from sections of the crowd and his young age wasn't something to make people think twice about it. Furious Paul Sturrock commented at the time he found it surprsing given the pacuity of quality we'd endured over recent seasons.Though  Sturrock himself took some stick for playing him (Brunt) a few times on the right wing where he's hoped that during a lean spell the team might benefit from Brunt coming inside and arrowing some shots off.  "I seem to remember a left footed winger called Waddle playing on the right here, and no one minded that" said the manager. A few mumpers jumped on that and said he was directly comparing the two players and must be mad, even though that's not what he was getting at.  But we've always had our share of chumps, like most clubs. I digress...

Brunt went on to hit seven goals the following season, finishing the campaign as the club's top goalscorer with 12 goals.  His impressive displays during the 2006–07 season in the Championship saw him linked with a move away from Hillsborough, with Rangers and Fulham among the clubs interested in acquiring his services.  With only one year remaining on his contract, negotiations between Brunt and Wednesday broke down in July 2007, due to what the club described as 'excessive wage demands' though given how skint we were at the time who knows that excessive might have been classed as.

West Brom offered to stump up £3,000,000 and it was too good for Wednesday to turn down given the financial mire and Brunt was off to the Hawthorns where he remains to this day, and just shy of 400 games for the Baggies.

What are your memories of Brunt and that time at Hillsborough?

• Like 1

Brunt was quality had one of the best left foots I’ve seen 

lacked pace and didn’t work back very well but gave us some great memories 

he stood out with a few others in what was a very bad time for us 

that said they all made us proud in the playoff season but we was never going to keep hold of players like him and whelan during that period 

both have gone on to have great careers 

could he do a job for us now, the love affair would like to think so come and end your career here but wits pace we need I don’t think he could give us what we need and of course the ageing side of him too won’t help 

I’ve enjoyed his time here and watching his career since he’s left and he will always be remembered to me as one of the better players we’ve had in recent history 

34 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

That goal at Leeds will live in my memory forever , as sweet a left peg as you could wish for . He’s done well . 

Since I think Hirst snr still holds the record and I remember John harkes absolute rocket against Derby. 

So for me probably the 3rd hardest ball striker we've had in my time. 

I remember him cracking one of those 30 yarders when we were in the pub league, the bar seemed to be shaking for an eternity afterwards. 

29 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Since I think Hirst snr still holds the record and I remember John harkes absolute rocket against Derby. 

So for me probably the 3rd hardest ball striker we've had in my time. 

I remember him cracking one of those 30 yarders when we were in the pub league, the bar seemed to be shaking for an eternity afterwards. 

Yes he could certainly hit a ball the Leeds one was more precision it was a beautiful moment seeing it sail in the net needless to say we all went mental 

Edited by dewsburyowl58

A very good footballer and a fantastic bloke to boot.

I was gutted for him that injury ruled him out of Euro 2016 as he deserve that opportunity on the greatest level. 

He has been a fantastic signing for us and his dedication over the last 13 years has been admirable.

It is disappointing however to see how much his age has caught up with him in recent months as he should really leave The Hawthorns as a modern day hero. 

• Like 3