30 years ago

Guest mkowl

Could have happened to anyone who attended matches back then. They were different times and it was a different attitude. The authorities looked on fans as lower classes and we were treated as such. A terrible tragedy that never should have happened. The 96 people who went to a football match and never returned will never be forgotten. 

38 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

They will never be forgotten and rightly so, it would be nice if the Bradford fire disaster and the Heysel Stadium disaster was at the forefront as well.  For some reason, they seem to be pushed into the shadows.

This 100%. 

1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

They will never be forgotten and rightly so, it would be nice if the Bradford fire disaster and the Heysel Stadium disaster was at the forefront as well.  For some reason, they seem to be pushed into the shadows.

Funny that heysell in particular never gets mentioned though isn’t it? Wonder why that is?.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mycroft said:

31 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Funny that heysell in particular never gets mentioned though isn’t it? Wonder why that is?.

What with today being the anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster, people are taking a moment to remember the 96 football fans who went to watch a game of football and never came home on this day 30 years ago.

Why Bradford and Heysel need bringing up at this point, I'm really not sure.

R.I.P. is pretty much all that needs to be said.

• Like 1

RIP to the 96 terrible tragedy.

However, it’s clear that it’s a very sensitive subject as it’s our club involved and seems to get overshadowed with the events what happened. And it does get people’s backs up and understandably so, without going into the various reasons. Myself included sometimes. 

But let’s not let this thread spiral into that.

Guest The Claw
33 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Why Bradford and Heysel need bringing up at this point, I'm really not sure.

R.I.P. is pretty much all that needs to be said.

they did too

Bradford and heysal have their own respective anniversaries. If folk want to talk about them more feel free, start a Fred about them, especially on their anniversaries. . But today is 15 April.  Show some respect.

Today is all about Hillsborough. And the impact it has on different folk.

Obviously to some folk it won't be one of their favourite stadiums. That's understandable. But as swfc supporters we should never have any shame about our awesome ground.

to me, hillsborough, regardless of its history due to incompetence, is a brilliant football stadium. It was back in the day and it is now. And with our new manager we are just 1 promotion away from it getting another upgrade. An upgrade to drag it into modern day to stand alongside other iconic English stadiums, as it deserves to.

Stand proud of ur club. And it's stadium. I do and there is nowt wrong with that. 

6 hours ago, SiJ said:

Let's not turn this into some weird Liverpool bashing thread. 

At the end of the day, 96 people lost their lives. That's the important bit, not petty point scoring. 

Totally agree 

I was at the ground on this date 10 years ago... can't believe another 10 years has gone by...  Like others have said - you go to a football match to have fun... regardless of who you support we are all family... I feel sad for the fans of Liverpool - we have all lost 97 members of our football family - putting fans in cages was barbaric - we didn't learn that soon enough unfortunately   -  You'll Never Walk Alone RIP.