List of Owls players out of contract this summer

This is the area where I'm so glad we now have Bruce at the helm. 

I said it years ago when we had Wallace and signed Jones, abdi and then Boyd. 

It was a big mistake. 

The championship is a different animal to the Premier league. 

You need super fit young mobile players in the midfield engine room to deal with the rigours and physicality of the championship week in and week out. 

Yes it's good to have a few experienced old heads in the team, but you players around them to help compensate. 

When Bruce took Hull up he had the old warhorses in Davies & Dawson at the back, but quick fullbacks to help them out and a strong athletic midfield. 

Its about getting the old heads in the right area of the pitch to be an asset, not a hindrance a slow ageing midfield will get found out over the course of a long hard season. 

In short I can't wait for Bruce to overhaul this badly balanced sqaud. 

We've Lee (injured), abdi, Jones (no comment needed) Joey, bannan and Hutch that all play cm, 6 players for 2 positions, but struggle to play a decent 2 together for a run of games. 

• Like 1

On 14/04/2019 at 11:19, shandypants said:

...taken from yesterday’s game. 

Lets play this again. 

Who should we keep? Who’s a possible to keep? Who should go?  

44CF7C4B-B65D-4FD2-A78C-79B71F1D97CB.thumb.jpeg.4fe013d3e01def425216fb94a848ed4a.jpeg

Keep:

Palmer 

Westwood

Hooper 

Hector (but can’t be paid Chelsea wage - will he accept a drop?)

Possible to keep:

Aarons (but can’t be paid Newcastle wage and needs to prove fitness before season end)

Lazaar (but can’t be paid Newcastle wage and needs to prove fitness before season end)

Kieran Lee (I want to keep him but we don’t know how he will return. If fit, he’s the difference) 

Matias (tough decision)

Go:

Boyd

Onamah

Pudil

Jones

Abdi

If rumour is correct, releasing Boyd, Pudil, Jones and Abdi will remove a sizeable wedge of cash from our outgoings. 

The only issue is Boyd has been playing as of late and before fessi too ?? So either one will be leaving I think 

31 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

This is the area where I'm so glad we now have Bruce at the helm. 

I said it years ago when we had Wallace and signed Jones, abdi and then Boyd. 

It was a big mistake. 

The championship is a different animal to the Premier league. 

You need super fit young mobile players in the midfield engine room to deal with the rigours and physicality of the championship week in and week out. 

Yes it's good to have a few experienced old heads in the team, but you players around them to help compensate. 

When Bruce took Hull up he had the old warhorses in Davies & Dawson at the back, but quick fullbacks to help them out and a strong athletic midfield. 

Its about getting the old heads in the right area of the pitch to be an asset, not a hindrance a slow ageing midfield will get found out over the course of a long hard season. 

In short I can't wait for Bruce to overhaul this badly balanced sqaud. 

We've Lee (injured), abdi, Jones (no comment needed) Joey, bannan and Hutch that all play cm, 6 players for 2 positions, but struggle to play a decent 2 together for a run of games. 

Funny you should mention that I’ve been thinking for a long time that due to too many players it’s had opposite effect instead of pushing each other i think it’s contributing towards the injuries. I mean think about it allll them players training at once not all will get the same attention and or some will jog at back of pac having a chin wag whilst others bust their @rses sort of contributing to less training if makes any sense lol 

I'm a bit concerned that he keeps playing that waste of a shirt Boyd but he must be on a fair wack just to keep his motors in petrol so I would assume he will be jettisoned.

I reckon Palmer will get offered, and accept, a new contract and that Westwood will be offered, and reluctantly refuse, his.

Hooper I reckon will get a short term,and more lucrative offer elsewhere and will take it as its his last chance of a decent one. 

The rest? Thank you and goodbye.

On 14/04/2019 at 16:56, BRADDO said:

I was thinking as a no. 2 keeper. He'd be an excellent deputy in the prem. 

I might be losing my marbles here, but wasn't it rumoured Westwood turned down a no.2 role at Man City to come here because he wants to play games?

Out of our players, I'd keep Westwood and Palmer - both earned a deal with their contributions this season.

Don't think we can offer Hooper and Lee contracts to keep them - we really couldn't justify long, high paid deals for them, and I reckon Hooper especially would get something better than we would offer. I'd like them to stay, prove their fitness, and accept realistic deals, but I don't hold much hope of that.

Rest would go, though I think Bruce will keep Boyd if he can.

As for the loans, 3 are injured, which is exactly what we need to get away from. I think Bruce bought the 2 Newcastle lads in simply for extra bodies until the summer and that's it.

Hector will go for a fee as he'll be in the final year of his contract at Chelsea. Probably counts us out.

I wonder if it's realistic to offer Lee a 6 month contract to prove his fitness? I'd have thought that many managers out there admire him as a player but they'll have a job convincing their chairmen with his long term injury. 

We've still got too many strikers at the club, but Bruce doesn't seem to rate Winnall and unless he's got plans to bring Rhodes back in next season he might be pushing for a new deal for Hooper. In an ideal world we'd sell Rhodes of course but it's almost impossible with the fee we'd want and the massive pay cut he'd have to take.