Our midfield

If I were Bruce I would have a good look at midfield and have a think about whether it can be consistent enough for a promotion challenge

With the players we have I think a Lee Hutch combo is a better option than Bannan Hutch in a combative high tempo game. I would be open to another contract for Lee if we can get him on the pitch before the season ends 

Regarding Hutch I think he is a tad limited as he is primarily a defensive player.

You need goals from midfield to challenge for promotion.

I'd even consider offers for Bannan because I think he is very highly rated , buy maybe a tad too highly rated.

• Like 1

Bruce has said the squad isn't balanced, bannan is one of the best at this level but I do wonder if his lack of physicality, pace and goals contributes to this. Hope not, as hes quality and I suppose you could say similar about Modiric at a higher level of course. Just finding the right players/system to fit around him and if you think it's worth it to accommodate. 

If we can keep Iorfa fit and retain the services of Aarons and Lazaar that midfield will look so much better.

Yesterday, with Hooper still looking off the pace, Bannan had only Fletcher to aim a forward pass to. There was no outlet on the wings and unsurprisingly Bannan looked ineffective searching for a telling pass. 

Much as I like Hutchinson’s commitment, being a defender in nature, he is not the box to box midfielder Bannan needs to work alongside.

Recruitment needs to address this imbalance by unearthing a powerful midfielder capable of driving the team forward. A rare commodity I know, but Bruce  took only a few hours to recruit pacy wide players and must by now have some idea of how to re balance that midfield.

The only place that we look adequately staffed is keeper.

We seem to have solved 50% of the full back issue by signing Iorfa, but left back is a major problem still

We’ve got one decent centre half.

We’ve got two decent CMs but no cover for either

We’ve for one decent wide player

We’ve got 4 adequate strikers who’ve all struggled to put any seblemce of form together for the last 2 years.

Essential priorities for me would be:

1. a Centre half

2. a left back

3. a defensive midfielder

4. a wide player 

Thats the bare minimum before we even start look at squad depth

This summer and next season ain’t going to be easy

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

If I were Bruce I would have a good look at midfield and have a think about whether it can be consistent enough for a promotion challenge

With the players we have I think a Lee Hutch combo is a better option than Bannan Hutch in a combative high tempo game. I would be open to another contract for Lee if we can get him on the pitch before the season ends 

Regarding Hutch I think he is a tad limited as he is primarily a defensive player.

You need goals from midfield to challenge for promotion.

I'd even consider offers for Bannan because I think he is very highly rated , buy maybe a tad too highly rated.

lee who? the bloke who hasn't played for an eternity?

for Christ's sake, he's been had a career threatening injury, it's touch and go for him to be a footballer again, let alone regain his energy, game, and the engine he once had.

hutch (or another defensive m/f cover) has to play, it doesn't need any explanation, it's basic team tactics.

i'm struggling to find a better passer over 25+ yards in our side than bannan, and when we get a quicker forward line capable of counter attacking it won't be wanting feeding by a tiptap midfield that'll be 3 or 4 minutes getting there.

if we let bannan go, we'd need a similar but better replacement (take some finding and money), we can lose reach (for money) and replace with better no doubt, ff just needs to go, his time is up, along with the 'deadwood'.

5 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

The only place that we look adequately staffed is keeper.

We seem to have solved 50% of the full back issue by signing Iorfa, but left back is a major problem still

We’ve got one decent centre half.

We’ve got two decent CMs but no cover for either

We’ve for one decent wide player

We’ve got 4 adequate strikers who’ve all struggled to put any seblemce of form together for the last 2 years.

Essential priorities for me would be:

1. a Centre half

2. a left back

3. a defensive midfielder

4. a wide player 

Thats the bare minimum before we even start look at squad depth

This summer and next season ain’t going to be easy

we need 'one hell of a striker' on that list.

1 hour ago, deano said:

Bruce has said the squad isn't balanced, bannan is one of the best at this level but I do wonder if his lack of physicality, pace and goals contributes to this. Hope not, as hes quality and I suppose you could say similar about Modiric at a higher level of course. Just finding the right players/system to fit around him and if you think it's worth it to accommodate. 

bannan needs using further upfield.

23 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Yesterday showed the lack of POWER in midfield to hold the ball and dominate in that area.

Thank you Carlos.

we were a tired aging side, they were a fresher, younger, more energetic one.

i'm not sure how much coco was to 'blame' for total recruitment, I think it's fair to say some 'might' have been fetched in that he didn't need, or fancied.

either that, or he was worse that even I thought he was.

2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I think we have the talent, but not the consistency. That’s why I wouldn’t have it as an ‘essential priority’

the only 2 i'd keep would be fletcher (because I think no one will pick up his wage) and hooper for his skills set (but as a sub or back up).

8 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I think we have the talent, but not the consistency. That’s why I wouldn’t have it as an ‘essential priority’

'inconsistent talent' is for sides in the middle of the table, you can't launch a promotion push built upon it.

you may be able to carry one, IF the rest of the side is good enough to cover for him when he's off, but you cannot describe you entire attacking intent in that manner.

Edited by dorian gray
s

The balance hasn't been right since the Hull final three years ago - we've brought in totally the wrong players since with Jones; Abdi, Buttercup; Plep - all lightweight and offered nothing new.

Then you add in Reach who, whilst offers something different as a wide player, again unbalances the team because he's so lightweight and drifts. You could say FF, Boyd and Matias are the same.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

'inconsistent talent' is for sides in the middle of the table, you can't launch a promotion push built upon it.

you may be able to carry one, IF the rest of the side is good enough to cover for him when he'd off, but you cannot describe you entire attacking intent in that manner.

You have to remember we are also potless 

• Thanks 1