Eric Cantona - it’s a myth

6 hours ago, Sweet Shezza said:

Eric Cantona was in Nottingham on his tour a few months ago. Addressing the audience, he stated that he scored a hat-trick in a practice match for Sheffield Wednesday and was ready for signing but Trevor Francis was not ready to sign him. 

He did. I was ballboy. 

And Leeds used to train at Aurora as well, so they probably had someone watching. 

1 hour ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

So Wilkinson was too stubborn and not skilled enough to get the best out of him

And Francis was not experienced or skilled enough to get the best out of the situation.

And we then Fergie takes a gamble.  And the rest is history

There was an inevitability of it.

And we have Rickygoo waiting to pick apart my post like an obsessive surgeon who suffers with OCD.

vic and bob.jpg

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, steveger said:

Trevor Francis was a legend at this club no matter what some will always say on here, big fat Judas Ron's team and all that blah,blah,blah, the guy got us to 2 cup finals and European football, nearly won us the league and some great football.

Legend is stretching a point.

We did p[lay some great football under him although we should have won at least one of the finals....probably the second one having had the opportunity to see how Arsenal would play at Wembley.

He did inherit a good side from Atkinson but he did make it better with good signings (Waddle, Warhurst, Woods (waits for tin helmet). However, his managerial skills were sadly lacking when he had to start replacing players and rebuild…...Peter Atherton, Andy Pearce and Ian Nolan were nowhere near good enough and these signings were symptomatic of why we didn't kick on from the finals. I'd also suggest that he got rid of Pearson and Worthington far too early. 

On 14/04/2019 at 09:21, Pablo Bonvin said:

According to Trevor Francis in his new autobiography we were never going to sign Eric anyway. Article in the Stir today which I managed to find amid all the obvious distress caused by the Blunt’s exploits yesterday.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/latest-owls-news/sheffield-wednesday-it-s-just-a-myth-trevor-francis-gives-his-side-of-the-story-on-why-eric-cantona-did-not-sign-for-the-owls-in-1992-1-9710104

Seemed pretty real at the time. 

1 hour ago, lambownumber5 said:

Why the hell were Leeds training at Aurora? 

Used it quite a lot during the bad weather. At the time it was the only decent astro for miles around. Lots of Southern sides used it when playing games up North. 

On 14/04/2019 at 09:21, Pablo Bonvin said:

According to Trevor Francis in his new autobiography we were never going to sign Eric anyway. Article in the Stir today which I managed to find amid all the obvious distress caused by the Blunt’s exploits yesterday.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/latest-owls-news/sheffield-wednesday-it-s-just-a-myth-trevor-francis-gives-his-side-of-the-story-on-why-eric-cantona-did-not-sign-for-the-owls-in-1992-1-9710104

He's lying. 

12 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Yep, and there is very little evidence of him existing at all outside of the Bible which was written well after his supposed demise. Unless you know different?

I do know different and you are wrong on both counts.

• Haha 2

Just now, Mycroft said:

Care to offer your best piece of evidence you have for Jesus existing, without quoting the Bible?

No because this is a forum about football and we're only discussing it because you decided to make unfounded and throw away comments. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Striggy said:

To be fair, it's not just like he has said it now, this story came out yonks ago, don't know if TF had already written an earlier Autobiography, or if it was just in the press but he has said it before.  Old news.

He said it on a Talksport interview a couple of years ago. I posted about it then.

If we had signed him I don't think he would have stuck around too long. Imagine a team with him, Carbone & Di Canio. With the same scenario a few years later while they were around he might have signed & it may have changed the course of our history. We'd also have had a team assaulting fans & refs all over the shop, great Wednesday aggro. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

We can open a thread in the Dressing Room, I would be interested in your evidence.  

You gonna start this thread.

Can't wait to see this evidence.

The Rev will be world famous, as the only person to ever prove the existence of Jesus.

8 minutes ago, The Batman said:

You gonna start this thread.

Can't wait to see this evidence.

The Rev will be world famous, as the only person to ever prove the existence of Jesus.

A factually incorrect statement.

Edited by Rev Owl