Barry Bannan

10 hours ago, malek said:

You are right, Bannan doesn't work when we get pressed. Not sure it is down to Bannan, though...

Today wasn’t down to bannan as he is not fit. But in general this approach is down to him not being that good. He is great when he is given time to dictate but when you take that away from him he doesn’t have a answer. Top players do. 

It's all a bit chicken and egg with him.

When we play well, he inevitably does...but then often the reason we are playing well is because he's dictating things. He was brilliant against Villa tbf.

When we are playing badly though, almost inevitably he will go missing or have a poor game. On Saturday he kept giving the ball away. 

Would like to see him play in a three. 

He wasn't fit on Saturday and I think that was the first real error SB has made in selection.  Personally I would have gone with two combative midfielders (Hutchinson and Pelupessy) and played Matias, Boyd and Forestieri in a three behind Fletcher.  Bannan could have come on for the last 20 if we were chasing the game. However, I fully understand why SB went with Bannan.  You put your faith in the players.  It didn't work.  Had Bannan's shot nestled in the bottom corner, we'd be waxing lyrical.

We are all going over the same things we've been saying for some time.  Some of us have been saying it from half way through the 2015/16 season.  In a 3, or higher up the pitch, he is a good player, way above average for this league.  However, he has his shortcomings (as do all players), and his shortcoming is that in a two, he needs a Carlton type next to him.  Its up to the manager to work out his best position but for me,  we have to find a style of play and then find an alternative, and an alternative to that.  Quite simply, if we aren't ticking and Bannan isn't pulling the strings, we have no creativity whatsoever.  To compound a problem, we don't have anybody who can make creativity easier for lesser players by making a lung buster into the channels.  Fast forward to 2019 and we are still faced with the same problem.  Bannan is still faced with the same problem.  He gets the ball, he lifts his head and..............nothing.  Static.  Someone said he looks worse against teams that close him down, well that maybe true, but I guarantee you teams wouldn't be able to close him down so effectively if we had runners off the ball or pace in behind.  There is no out ball.  There is no player on the team that Bannan can just play a blind ball into an area of the pitch knowing that someone will either get onto it, or put pressure on the defender and we end up 30-40 yards further up the pitch.

On a positive note, I think SB knows this.  I think he will find the players to give us more types of ammunition.  We seem to be more of a threat at set pieces.  I think we will find ourselves with a hard running midfielder.  I think we well find ourselves with full backs who can overlap.  The back 4 will be solid, rarely changing.  I think we will find ourselves with some pace.  I think BB will be here next season, but when he gets the ball, he will have more options available to him. 

The two most posted things on here ever

Hooper is not 100%

Bannan drops too deep 

Bannan drops deep to try and get time on the ball. Because he can’t win the physical battle he drops further when pressed.

He is great footballer, like Hooper a bit of a throwback to times gone by when little ball players had time and space to play and physical attributes were not as key.

If our managers , and he has had 3 here, can’t see he will not function against good pressing teams in a two man midfield then it is hard to blame the player.

All players have a weakness in their game and a managers job is to recognise the weakness and try and set up in a way to nullify it or get rid of the player.

I don’t see Bannan going anywhere, Bruce likes him but he has to set up in a way that allows him to play.

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 23:57, owler66 said:

Been thinking it for a while not questioning his ability but think we need to move him on, Alex Ferguson in his prime always knew when to move a player on when everyone else thought he was daft to do so

Yeah cos Sir Alex and you have the same football philosophy and experience lol 

Hate to say it, but as good as Bazza is and he's probably our most creative influence on games. 

He's not the best at finding himself space to work in and it's probably one of the reasons he's here with us and not in the Premier league. 

Against a high press, energetic midfield that Dosent allow you a second to think or time on the ball he always struggles. 

Its normally against this sort of side he has his rare stinkers. 

The best example of this is the mess when we got hammered in the Derby under clueless. He couldn't find space to work in or deal with the lack of time to make a decision, so ketp dropping further and further back till he was almost a 3rd cb getting in lees and VanAkrens way and was part responsible for a couple of the goals due to hurried back passes and losing possession around our 18 yard box. 

I'm not knocking him as he's as I said normally our most effective creative outlet, never shirks his responsibility and alwasy gives 100%. 

Remember veron? In Italy he looked world class with acres of time and space on the ball he was devastating. 

Big money move to man utd and the more fast paced hustle and bustle of the Premier league he couldn't handle it. 

Bannan is the same, given space and time on the ball, he's one of the best in this division. If not he really struggles. 

20 hours ago, oldishowl said:

The two most posted things on here ever

Hooper is not 100%

Bannan drops too deep 

Bannan drops deep to try and get time on the ball. Because he can’t win the physical battle he drops further when pressed.

He is great footballer, like Hooper a bit of a throwback to times gone by when little ball players had time and space to play and physical attributes were not as key.

If our managers , and he has had 3 here, can’t see he will not function against good pressing teams in a two man midfield then it is hard to blame the player.

All players have a weakness in their game and a managers job is to recognise the weakness and try and set up in a way to nullify it or get rid of the player.

I don’t see Bannan going anywhere, Bruce likes him but he has to set up in a way that allows him to play.

I think this is probably the reason Carlos played him out wide, he knew a central  midfield partnership  of Lee and Hutch in a two was more balance and solid defencivly. This also allowed Bazza more space out wide to make things happen and create. It also meant that we still had Lee's running into the box supporting the strikers and extra goal threat you don't get from Bazza. 

I said it at the time when others were complaining and saying he needed to be central, that all his previous very experienced managers played him wide left at villa and Palace due to him not having the physical attributes to play down the middle.