Time to start rebuilding now!

3 hours ago, NYowl said:

The need for more athletic players was evident today.

At times Leeds looked like they had an extra man on the pitch, Norwich will be the same.

Yeah

Give Bannan some runners and he'll pick them out

His heart must've sunk when he saw our team sheet vs Leeds 

4 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Have you watched him recently?

He has shown his class and what we have been missing.

You keep with your boring tired sniping and others will support our team

It’s not sniping , it’s an opinion . I have watched him yes . He’s still tidy on the ball , but is too slow and immobile to effect games against the big teams , which is why we fall short . One or two of the old lot are fine but they need mixing in with younger , more mobile faster players if we are to be top 6 . As hooper is out of contract and has an awful injury record , he should be one to make way . 

Just because i dont live in 2015 when hooper , lee and forestieri (another who needs to go) were bossing it , doesn’t mean I’m not a fan . Thinking a player should be released also doesn’t make me a ‘bad fan’ or whatever rubbish you were spouting . Sorry my opinion differs to yours . 

Hopefully in these last few games we can see if some of the returning / out of contract players are upto the challenge again to earn new contracts.  

Whilst I too believe we need better (which team doesn’t) getting better, for less may well be tough. Plus let’s not forget that every transfer is a risk, be that players who’ve been there and done it or young hungry players on the up. 

We’ll be thinning the squad down this window no doubt. Definite departures to Pudil, Jones, Abdi. 

Then we we have a few maybes in Matias, Boyd, Hooper and Lee. 

I’d like to think Palmer and Westwood already done enough to prove worthy of deals. 

Then there’s a huge crop of contracted players that are likely available at right cost. 

Depending on how many we let go/sell may influence who is retained/signed back later in window. I’m not opposed to us keeping players like Matias (who I assume isn’t on salary anything near that of Boyd/Nando) who offers us something a bit different and is very useful player. Same with Palmer. 

8 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Now is the time to start rebuilding the team ready to hit the ground running next season. Im confident Bruce can get us in good shape ready for the first game. Last few years our season hasn’t started until September.

Hopefully DC can sort something out to avoid an embargo and give Bruce an hand. I reckon we’re going to need about 8 new signings to transform and freshen this squad up.

One thing we must do now is get Westwood signed up. The best keeper in the league.

Post of the day.

Now we know what division we will be playing in next season lets get on with the much needed rebuild.

If Chansiri gets this right and we avoid an embargo, we have the manager in place to take us to the next level and the signs for next season are very encouraging.

Lets get on the front foot for one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Hopefully in these last few games we can see if some of the returning / out of contract players are upto the challenge again to earn new contracts.  

Whilst I too believe we need better (which team doesn’t) getting better, for less may well be tough. Plus let’s not forget that every transfer is a risk, be that players who’ve been there and done it or young hungry players on the up. 

We’ll be thinning the squad down this window no doubt. Definite departures to Pudil, Jones, Abdi. 

Then we we have a few maybes in Matias, Boyd, Hooper and Lee. 

I’d like to think Palmer and Westwood already done enough to prove worthy of deals. 

Then there’s a huge crop of contracted players that are likely available at right cost. 

Depending on how many we let go/sell may influence who is retained/signed back later in window. I’m not opposed to us keeping players like Matias (who I assume isn’t on salary anything near that of Boyd/Nando) who offers us something a bit different and is very useful player. Same with Palmer. 

Maybe Boyd? Hope it's more than a maybe!

Westwood and Palmer will be offered deals. I’ll leave the Hooper and Lee issue with Bruce.  The rest can definitely go (Abdi, Jones, Boyd, Pudil, Matias) - they are either not good enough or too old.

Whilst it will be difficult, I’d like us to try and get clubs for Rhodes, Nuhiu, Winnall, Joey, JVA, Fox. I don’t see futures for those 6.

Hes got a big job on as Steve. Hopefully, we have some manoeuvrability re; FFP to let him re-build this team.

• Like 1

Guest mkowl

The other factor in all this, we are talking about whether player x or y is worthy of a new contract. Why would it not surprise me if the likes of Westwood haven't already been effectively promised other things by other clubs. 

Guest mkowl
1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Westwood and Palmer will be offered deals. I’ll leave the Hooper and Lee issue with Bruce.  The rest can definitely go (Abdi, Jones, Boyd, Pudil, Matias) - they are either not good enough or too old.

Whilst it will be difficult, I’d like us to try and get clubs for Rhodes, Nuhiu, Winnall, Joey, JVA, Fox. I don’t see futures for those 6.

Hes got a big job on as Steve. Hopefully, we have some manoeuvrability re; FFP to let him re-build this team.

And thus one of the major issues. Those players not out of contract don't have to go anywhere. We have found shifting an under utilised player on is not a straightforward task

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

And thus one of the major issues. Those players not out of contract don't have to go anywhere. We have found shifting an under utilised player on is not a straightforward task

I agree. It will be very difficult. We may be able to get Rhodes out on loan for a year and Jos may come back for Joey. 

Can't see Bazza going anywhere unless a big offer comes in for him. He signed a new deal last season and, probably most of all, Bruce rates him. For the right money he could go for me. I can see us keeping Bazza and signing some sort of beast in there to do the graft leaving Bazza free. Interesting times ahead that's a given.

11 minutes ago, marshy said:

Can't see Bazza going anywhere unless a big offer comes in for him. He signed a new deal last season and, probably most of all, Bruce rates him. For the right money he could go for me. I can see us keeping Bazza and signing some sort of beast in there to do the graft leaving Bazza free. Interesting times ahead that's a given.

Bannan is better in a midfield 3 and we play 4-4-2. The 3 top sides in the league all play with 3 in central midfield. I’ll let Bruce work out his best formation for us next season. There are a lot of players need releasing or selling but Bannan is not one of them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Bannan is better in a midfield 3 and we play 4-4-2. The 3 top sides in the league all play with 3 in central midfield. I’ll let Bruce work out his best formation for us next season. There are a lot of players need releasing or selling but Bannan is not one of them.

Definitely, there is always going to be be too much distance between him and Hutch, unless he just sits alongside Sam, which means we can’t get out Both him and Hutchinson are much better in a three, and if we intend to play 4-4-2, we need two midfielders with a better engine

• Like 1

This squad in the main has been together for the best part of 5 seasons and in truth for the vast majority of this period has done us proud.

That said the time has come to freshen things up and to try and get a better balance of the qualities that you need to achieve promotion from this division.

We now have the manager in place who knows how to assemble the type of side/squad that you need to do this. The big question though is will he get a free reign from the Chairman and the Authorities to start this rebuild this summer? Because of this uncertainty the re-build may probably start next summer rather than this?

If this proves to be the case I would still back Bruce to have us in the right area of the table but the inconsistencies we’ve seen over the last 5 years will probably still continue for a little while longer?

Ideal, but unlikely scenario for me would be....

New contracts:

Hooper - 1 year

Westwood

Palmer 

Lee - 1 year (would ordinarily say let him go but we are so lacking in CM  it’s unreal. if Bruce thinks he can get fit)

Out:

Everyone else out of contract, Abdi, Boyd, Jones et al

Van Aken

Nuhiu

Rhodes

Forestieri - if we can get a half decent fee

In:

Hector 

Left back - Lazaar? 

x2 wide men

all of the above need pace 

x2 Centre midfield (one needs to have physical presence)

Centre forward with pace 

Edited by LoadABallacks

A lot of questions to be answered Can Bruce really afford to play 4-4-2? If he wants to do that, then as I mentioned, we won’t need Hutchinson and Bannan. At Villa and Hull he played with just the one up, which would be better for our current midfield options, but we’d need a more mobile striker than Fletcher. It’s probably easier to ditch the 4-4-2, and replace the centre forward

45 minutes ago, mkowl said:

See with those players I don’t see us having too many issues. We will however make losses. Rhodes abs Winnall will have suitors because of the records. Nuhiu Pellupessy and van Aken could get moves abroad, the only one we will have trouble moving is Fox